Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2015, 10:12 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,860,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshGL View Post
Uh, he's completely right. Until last year the FBI only categorized crimes as white, black, Asian, or American indian. So yes, if an illegal from Guatemala was arrested for rape prior to 2014, he was counted as white.

FBI To Track Latino Arrests For Uniform Crime Report
What if he was a "black hispanic?"

There are black hispanics too you know....

They would have been classified as "black."

Old 08-26-2015, 10:16 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,702,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgibs View Post
It has been said that poverty creates crime. However, whites in rural, trailer park communities have nowhere near the level of violence and crime that blacks and Hispanics in the inner city do. Problems of the inner city are children born out of wedlock and raised in single parent households with absent fathers. Kids raised without fathers are likely to grow up poor, dropout of school, join gangs or sell drugs, go to prison, or become teenage parents. Is there less crime and violence because of a lower percentage of white children born out of wedlock in poor communities? Is it because rural communities are located in the middle of nowhere and sort of isolated?
What size communities are we comparing here? Cities with populations in the millions vs cities of a few thousand?

Old 08-26-2015, 10:18 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,702,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshGL View Post
Uh, he's completely right. Until last year the FBI only categorized crimes as white, black, Asian, or American indian. So yes, if an illegal from Guatemala was arrested for rape prior to 2014, he was counted as white.

FBI To Track Latino Arrests For Uniform Crime Report
Really does make you wonder why refuse to count Hispanics when that group makes up a much larger percentage than Aisan or Native Americans. What political agendas were being served in doing that?

Old 08-26-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I doubt it was that tough getting Carson to read as a kid. Almost all smart kids like to read. They don't need their mothers to force them to do it.
Not true. Plenty of smart kids don't like to read.

My son hated reading when he was younger and I had to force him to do it. He is an advanced reader now and likes to read but didn't from age 4-7 as it was "hard" and kids many times don't like to do "hard" tasks unless they are made to do so.

And FWIW, if Carson wasn't Ben Carson, the new GOP black darling then I doubt you would have considered him as "smart" as a child. He tried to stab another boy in 9th grade and did poorly at school until his mom took drastic measures. IMO he is not much different from most other poor black children raised by single moms. Most of them are bright but unlike his mom, some of their moms don't force them to do things that need to be done to excel in school. Also, he grew up in another generation. I would bet that today his mother's tactics would not have been as successful due to the technology today and our general social culture. Technolgy today cannot be completely turned off.

And FWIW, I'm a black mom who is very anti-tech for kids in my house. My 13 year old doesn't have a cell phone or a video game system and he does pretty good at school but if I'm not at home, I don't fully trust he will do completely as I say. 90% of his homework MUST be done online and due to that he is easily steered off of focus to PC games or chatting with friends via google IM or other apps, or he looks at goofy videos on youtube. We have our PC in the kitchen as I'm in there making dinner while he is doing homework so I can make sure he is focusing on his work and not various non-homework websites. And practically every time I leave the room he will flip to a page to look at something not homework related. I couldn't imagine leaving him at home like Carson's mom had to do, in todays day and age. You can take a TV out of the house but if your kid has to read online and do their homework online then you have to have technology in the house for them to use.

Also, those were different times where you could beat kids into submission via spanking and striking fear into them in that way (and many black parents like a lot of American parents did just that). Today your kid can go to school and "tell" on you for spanking them and you'll go to jail and have your kids taken away and put in foster care. Society is just different today. So Ben Carson's story can't be repeated step by step

Old 08-26-2015, 07:14 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,787,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Not true. Plenty of smart kids don't like to read.

My son hated reading when he was younger and I had to force him to do it. He is an advanced reader now and likes to read but didn't from age 4-7 as it was "hard" and kids many times don't like to do "hard" tasks unless they are made to do so.
I can see a smart kid growing up today in the age of smartphones thinking that reading books is boring, but hard? Unless they have dyslexia or something, reading is not hard for kids with high IQs.

Quote:
And FWIW, if Carson wasn't Ben Carson, the new GOP black darling then I doubt
you would have considered him as "smart" as a child.
I don't care for Carson much as a politician, but he is a successful neurosurgeon, and there's just no way a person could excel in a field like that without being intelligent.

Quote:
He tried to stab another boy in 9th grade and did poorly at school until
his mom took drastic measures.
Intelligent people also tend to more law abiding and less violent, but there are exceptions.

Quote:
IMO he is not much different from most other poor black children raised
by single moms. Most of them are bright but unlike his mom, some of their
moms don't force them to do things that need to be done to excel in school.
Most poor black children raised by single moms are not bright, quite the opposite, unfortunately. And their mothers' parenting styles are not the primary reason they fail to excel in school.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:19 PM

6,403 posts, read 4,134,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
All of these problems just have an effect on the other. When there is no adequate employment it's much harder to make a living, making it harder to build a family, save money and others.
Is this a valid excuse to having a 73% birthrate of children without fathers?

Old 08-26-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I can see a smart kid growing up today in the age of smartphones thinking that reading books is boring, but hard? Unless they have dyslexia or something, reading is not hard for kids with high IQs.

I don't care for Carson much as a politician, but he is a successful neurosurgeon, and there's just no way a person could excel in a field like that without being intelligent.

Intelligent people also tend to more law abiding and less violent, but there are exceptions.

Most poor black children raised by single moms are not bright, quite the opposite, unfortunately. And their mothers' parenting styles are not the primary reason they fail to excel in school.
LOL at the bold. So you think a majority of black children are ignorant?

Those and your words about Dr. Carson are an enigma considering he was the child of a single parent as was his brother who is an engineer.

I am black and was the child of a single mother, as were my brothers (I have 3) we were and still all are bright and intelligent.

Parenting is the primary reason why kids to well in school. Parents who create a decent, nurturing home environment will have bright children who do well in school. My mom made nutrition, an early bedtime, and an attitude of "you better do well in school" the norm in our house. All 4 of us always did well in our classes. FWIW, I'm not a single mom, I am married, but my husband doesn't do all the homework stuff, or the teaching to, or making them read/do math, or making them write. He is supportive and he, like my mom, expects our kids to do well in school, but I'm the one who does all the dirty work, same as my mom did with all of us.

Just FYI, educational achievement for black people has increased right along with the OOW birthrate so your presumption that those of us raised by single mothers are somehow ignorant and not able to be educated based solely on us being black and reared by a single parent is pretty telling about your internal bias and adherence to the ideology of black inferiority in comparison to others.

And FYI, reading is hard to kids starting to learn to read. My kid was 4 when I started teaching him to read. It was hard for him for about 6 months until he "got" it and then after than I made him read harder and harder books until by 1st grade he read at a 4th grade level (I like my kids to be 2-3 grade levels above their current grade). It was hard for him because I pushed him to do better. I was lazy with my younger child but she too is now 6 and reads at a 4th grade level. It was not as hard for her as it was for him but they are different people and I think she takes more after me and the boy takes more after my husband (who is a successful college graduate also raised by a single mom). I picked up reading all of a sudden by myself and tested at an 11th grade reading level in 3rd grade. All the while being the poor, lowly child of black, teenage, single mother on welfare at that.

You must not know too many black children, or as stated, you have an automatic bias to truly believe that the majority of our kids are not as bright and intelligent as all other children.

The majority of black children are born out of wedlock and raised by single parents and a majority of them go on to college and do well in school and in life in general. Dr. Carson is not an anamoly. I know many educated and successful black people who were raised by single moms. Many of my peers now have children going to college and most of them were single parents. Just because you hear someone is "at-risk" doesn't mean that they succumb to said risk. Most of us don't. We do well in life. We even get married (contrary to what many believe over 50% of black women are married, usually we marry our long time co-habiting partner, similar to my husband and myself. We married after our son was born and after we had bee together for 6 years. Most of my peers are the same way).

Last edited by residinghere2007; 08-26-2015 at 10:06 PM..

Old 08-26-2015, 09:59 PM

2,068 posts, read 1,004,733 times
Quote:
Just FYI, educational achievement for black people has increased right along with the OOW birthrate so your presumption that those of us raised by single mothers are somehow ignorant and uneducatable based solely on us being black and reared by a single parent is pretty telling about your internal bias and adherence to the ideology of black inferiority in comparison to others.
Would you mind providing something to back up this claim?

Old 08-26-2015, 10:46 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,708,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Is this a valid excuse to having a 73% birthrate of children without fathers?
How do you know that 73% of black children do not have fathers?

Moynihan report much? What statistics prove this?

How do you know this to be valid?

Old 08-26-2015, 10:47 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,708,573 times
Quote:
What if he was a "black hispanic?"

There are black hispanics too you know....

They would have been classified as "black."
Yes, most of the time were considered black before the Hispanic label.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies