Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 08:02 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
America has the worlds largest trade deficit and is the worlds largest net debtor nation. The country nearly collapsed.....meaning that urban areas, being part of this country, are impacted. If the country cannot get its act together, the urban areas certainly will not be able to. But here is the kicker....these urban areas have to balance their budgets and cannot print their own money or have a perpetual buyer of the bonds they sell to finance their operation, like they do at the national level. If the Nation had to operate the way local governments operate....the nation would have collapsed when Republicans were last in charge....and if the local areas can be run like the national government, they would not look as bad as they do now.
The nation would have collapsed when Republicans were last in charge? They were in charge, but that's not what caused the near-collapse. Dem Congressman Barney Frank admitted the truth, after he left office:
Quote:
Asked about the government's affordable housing goals compelling Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac before the crisis to devote more than half their portfolios to riskier nonprime mortgages for low-income borrowers, Frank blurted out: "No more goals, no more telling the private sector" how to invest in the housing market.

"Barney," Liesman asked, "are you suggesting that the goals of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the concept of promoting homeownership, was something that contributed to the crisis?

"Yes, it was, very much so"
Barney Frank, Douglas Holtz-Eakin Look Back at Financial Crisis | C-SPAN

The Clinton-era HUD Affordable Lending mandates to which Barney Frank was referring:
http://www.huduser.org/publications/pdf/gse.pdf

Old 09-01-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
They are unhappy with the results because they are unhappy with not having any REAL options, with two political parties dominated by whites.
How do they know that? When have they tried voting for another party, en masse, like they do for Dems?

Look at the R contenders for 2016: two Cuban-Americans, an African-American (Dr. Ben Carson, currently polling in 2nd place), and an Asian (Indian-American).

Where's the diversity in the Dem contenders?

Old 09-01-2015, 08:20 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,715,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
How do they know that? When have they tried voting for another party, en masse, like they do for Dems?

Look at the R contenders for 2016: two Cuban-Americans, an African-American (Dr. Ben Carson, currently polling in 2nd place), and an Asian (Indian-American).

The same way white conservatives know that voting for Democrats will not make their lives better. Why don't they vote for democrats en mass to see how things will turn out? Have they ever tried that? How do they know the Dems are not actually better for them?

Old 09-01-2015, 08:35 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Actually, white women were the primary beneficiaries of AA initially. Women don't need special treatment anymore. They have proven themselves as valuable employees and are very successful in the workplace and no longer favored in college admissions.

Blacks still require special treatment. When blacks don't demand special treatment for admissions to college and hiring they will be equal.
Well if that is your viewpoint, then why did you state that currently (meaning today and in modern history) that high unemployment for blacks is related to employers not wanting to hire them based upon AA?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding though, but this is a back track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
There were few blacks pre-1960s with the necessary education, skills and overall ability to compete in the job market. There are more now, but still proportionally fewer than in the general population. So pro-black discrimination is necessary to build a black middle class, but the backlash against it is understandable.
Pre-1960s there were few Americans period who were college educated or who had a high school diploma. But those black Americans who did have a college education and who did have a high school diploma fared much worse than whites who had none of the above based entirely on racial bias.

FWIW, I am a pretty well learned local historian in regards to the area I live. One line of my famiily has lived here since the 1860s and were not slaves (as far as I have been able to trace back to the 1780s prior to moving here). In the late 1800s and early 1900s over 50% of this line of my family had high school diplomas. Many had college level classes and education. The primary career opportunities for many black professionals in the late 1800s and early to mid 1900s was ministry, education (teachers and administrators in black schools only), and niche businessmen/women in black neighborhoods. Black people could not find opportunities, no matter their educational level outside of the black areas. If all the teaching and preaching positions were full and there were already enough pharmacies or stores in the area, the rest of the black people went to work, as did the whites in manufacturing due to the growing industrialization of the country. New white immigrants could move up ranks in these facilities. Black people could not even though they were much more educated or even if they had more work experience. They could not because of racial bias. This is not something that was unique to the south as my family did not live in the south. If they did, I know for a fact that they wouldn't have received the educations they did receive since our area had integrated schools from the 1880s-1890s forward and in the south many black people had no schools beyond a certain grade level.

But if you are interested, you should study urban history in the northeast and in the midwest and even in other geographic areas. My local interest has actually broadened due to the transient nature of my ancestors (I got into this via genealogical research) and my research has shown that what happened in my current area was not unique amongst non-southern communities in the US. People just either don't know about it or won't acknowledge it as a factor for the ills of many black people in this country. Cause and effect are real and if one's great grandparents were denied an opportunity to work as a supervisor at the local plant, whereas they could earn more money, whereas they could buy a home anywhere they wanted (which is a WHOLE other topic - housing limitations, this is what created black ghettos as we know it), whereas they would accumulate a higher net worth, whereas they could send their kids to a better neighborhood school, whereas those kids post WWII had additional opportunities for economic growth and opportunities for their children and grandchildren. This would have led to less negative statistics for blacks and percentage wise our poverty stricken population would also be around 10% IMO like it is for blacks if from the beginning racial discrimination wasn't a factor. This would especially be true if racial discrimination wasn't so heavily entrenched in American society post WWI (prior to the depression) as that is when other negatively viewed immigrants and American demographics began to have greater opportunities in industrialized centers. Post WWII the negative connotations of the Irish and Italians and even the Polish and other ethnic Europeans waned. Unfortunately, this was not the case for black Americans, who were almost shut out of the post war economic boom a a result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
They must demand it, and receive it, for society to achieve the goal of equal group outcomes. Maybe this is the wrong goal?
Equal opportunity is the ideal goal. Everyone's outcomes can never be equal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
wull how then, does he still have a show, if he were not receiving the ratings, they'd take him off? Or am I wrong?
Sorry but LOL in regards to this question about Al Sharpton's show. Black people are not the primary viewers of his show, white people are. He has a show because white people watch it lol!

Old 09-01-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
The same way white conservatives know that voting for Democrats will not make their lives better.
Yeah, well, they have the highly taxed (which therefore makes renting/owning housing more expensive), decaying, poverty-stricken, and crime-ridden inner cities to go by. Even accomplished Blacks are fleeing that, so it's not just Whites.

Here's a Democrat voter's take on that (he voted for Obama):
Quote:
"The failure of blue social policy to create an environment which works for Blacks is the most devastating possible indictment of the 20th century liberal enterprise in the United States. Helping Blacks achieve the kind of equality and opportunity long denied them was more than one of many justifications for blue social policy: it was the defining moral task that has challenged and shaped American liberalism for the last fifty years.

The Census tells us that in the eyes of those who know best, these well intentioned efforts failed. [MOD CUT/copyright violation]
https://web.archive.org/web/20110418...tes-in-droves/

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-01-2015 at 10:24 AM..

Old 09-01-2015, 09:05 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,715,671 times
Quote:
Yeah, well, they have the highly taxed (which therefore makes renting/owning housing more expensive), decaying, poverty-stricken, and crime-ridden inner cities to go by. Even accomplished Blacks are fleeing that, so it's not just Whites.
yeah....welll... blacks have the racist rhetoric coming from the republican party to know that voting for Republicans will not likely benefit them more than voting for Democrats.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
yeah....welll... blacks have the racist rhetoric coming from the republican party to know that voting for Republicans will not likely benefit them more than voting for Democrats.
Racist rhetoric? What racist rhetoric? Like I said... look at the R 2016 presidential contenders: two Cuban-Americans, an African-American (Dr. Ben Carson, currently polling in 2nd place), and an Asian (Indian-American).

Seems the Dems are more racist.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:26 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,442,769 times
Quote:
Racist rhetoric? What racist rhetoric? Like I said... look at the R 2016 presidential contenders: two Cuban-Americans, an African-American (Dr. Ben Carson, currently polling in 2nd place), and an Asian (Indian-American).

Seems the Dems are more racist.
You're banging your head up against a black-black-blackity-black wall.

4,677 posts, read 5,771,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
I was wondering if white people would be so kind as to tell us how white people solved the problems of violence, guns, criminality, unwed mothers and welfare dependency amongst white people.
I can talk about how Hispanics have been solving the problem, despite the constant influx of poor immigrants.
Education, entrepreneurship (especially with a highly diverse clientele and locations outside home neighborhoods), intermarriage, cultural assimilation (particular using standard English - third gen Hispanics rarely speak native Spanish), and cultural shifts in values (the shift towards favoring birth control for teens was dramatic and difficult for most Catholic Hispanic communities, but it is making a huge dent in the still large teenage pregnancy problem) have all be factors in reducing violence, criminality, firearm violence, unwed mothers, and welfare dependency.
You will see a similar pattern among many Asian communities, especially immigration-fed communities.

Education is huge though. Hispanic families are among the highest in America for value placed on education. Hispanics have now passed non-hispanic whites for college enrollment rates (though not college graduation, yet), and are rapidly gaining on Asian ethnicities.

7,578 posts, read 5,330,332 times
Quote:
Blacks have largely lost their collective souls to drugs and welfare. Unfortunately, I don't think there's anything we can do for them. Not when people like Jesee and Rev Al are their role models .
Quote:
o what do you want? Living in the past doesn't help. Crying over slavery (that is over) doesn't change anything or give excuses…fix it. Without creating a race war or turning the US in to a dictatorship. Good luck.
To my anonymous admirers, Thank you for the rep points but in the future please post your comments either here on the thread or by direct message. I promise not to send BlackLivesMatter after you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies