Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 01:21 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
You agree with me that the only good reason to change a name is because there is something wrong with that name.
By George I think he's got it. The name was wrong because there was already a name and it was a better name by a country mile.

Look it isn't like McKinley had his heart set on having a mountain named after him. McKinley wasn't a particular lover of nature and preferred to stay at home reading poetry, so I think that he would have been prouder to have the University of Ohio's law school after him rather than a barren mountain that 99.9% of the American public would will never see and another 75% who really don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 03:35 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,436,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
This is truly pathetic.
Sorry.

You're the one who's pathetic with your liberal condescension to natives and racist hatred of a great American president.

This is all about Obama and the liberals' anti-white racism, period.

If they really wanted to honor native Alaskans, they would spell "Denali" in the native alphabet.

The only thing they want to do is take an honor away from what they deem to be a "dead white male."

The truth hurts, doesn't it!

Old 09-04-2015, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
By George I think he's got it. The name was wrong because there was already a name and it was a better name by a country mile.
So sez you.

Even before Alaska become it state, it was named McKinley.

Even before you were born, it was named McKinley.

Don't like it?

Too bad.

There's nothing wrong with the name McKinley.

President Trump will overturn Obama's racist attack against a great American president.

Quote:
Look it isn't like McKinley had his heart set on having a mountain named after him.
How do you know?

You don't.

Quote:
McKinley wasn't a particular lover of nature and preferred to stay at home reading poetry.
And poetry has nothing to do with an interest in nature.

I see that I'm dealing with a really well-educated person here...

Quote:
so I think that he would have been prouder to have the University of Ohio's law school after him rather than a barren mountain that 99.9% of the American public would will never see and another 75% who really don't care.
Everyone has an opinion, and you know what they say about opinions....

Old 09-04-2015, 10:31 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Yes you do.

Anything else is disrespectful condescension and tokenism.
Says you.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:38 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Their history -- whether they like or not -- is that the mountain was named McKinley.

So they don't take pride in history by renaming it Denali. They reject almost 100 years of history.

Maybe they're angry that "their" state is part of the United States?

If they feel that way, then they should just say so and stop playing these naming games.
Yes, right, because history only goes back as far as YOU want it to.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:40 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Who voted for the name change to Denali?

My community takes pride in its history and preserves the original names of its streets.
Denali seems to have a few thousand years over McKinley, if it's "original" you're going for.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:14 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
He was a great president who ran the country well.

It was an appropriate honor to name the highest mountain in North America after him.

Changing the name now is an insult to his memory.

And I sense an "Oh, he's just another dead white male" aspect to this renaming project.

Racism and sexism at work.

Racism against whites, sexism against males.

Suppose we got rid of the name of a non-white or a woman?

Nah, wouldn't happen...not PC.
Honestly, who cares. Name a library after him and move on. Better yet, name something in Ohio after him. That would be more fitting.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:21 PM

52,690 posts, read 47,955,803 times
If it's that big of a deal to Alaskans (and, apparently, to our so-called "president"), then why not have both names on it? Mt McKinley at Denali Heights, perhaps? Mt McKinley-Denali? Mt Denali-McKinley? Something has to give here (if it must).

Old 09-04-2015, 09:24 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
If it's that big of a deal to Alaskans (and, apparently, to our so-called "president"), then why not have both names on it? Mt McKinley at Denali Heights, perhaps? Mt McKinley-Denali? Mt Denali-McKinley? Something has to give here.
Something did give. It went back to it's original name. And of course it's a big deal to alaskans since this is their state.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:14 AM

I'm still going to call it McKinley.

I'll bet most Alaskans will, too.

It's only the liberal Alaskans (or fake ones) they we're hearing from here.

Anyway, President Trump will change the name back when he takes office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies