Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 01:37 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,394,271 times

Advertisements

No. They are a large and mostly silent majority. A small and highly vocal minority opposes them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 01:40 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,530,171 times
And of course all the mind numbed leftist robots immediately shout No! The truth is these people would be denying Christian persecution while gleefully throwing another log on the fire. A blind man can see Christian persecution exists, is increasing and is consistently denied. No pogroms yet but a lot of people would like a few.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:46 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
And of course all the mind numbed leftist robots immediately shout No! The truth is these people would be denying Christian persecution while gleefully throwing another log on the fire. A blind man can see Christian persecution exists, is increasing and is consistently denied. No pogroms yet but a lot of people would like a few.
Speak for yourself. I wouldn't like to see pogroms against anyone. Losing popularity contests and not being able to get government to enforce their morality isn't remotely persecution of any kind, let alone actual pogroms.

Please cite me one single instance in the US of anything resembling a pogrom against christians.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:49 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,138,519 times
Christians try to impose their beliefs on everyone else and then when they don't get their way, boo hoo, they are persecuted.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:00 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,210,962 times
I consider myself a conservative politically and a Christian at heart. However IMO (Fundamental) Christians feel persecuted because our nation is becoming more secular and is moving toward an acceptance of human rights as opposed to religious dogma.

There is no real persecution. There is a rejection of their very limited world view.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:13 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
I consider myself a conservative politically and a Christian at heart. However IMO (Fundamental) Christians feel persecuted because our nation is becoming more secular and is moving toward an acceptance of human rights as opposed to religious dogma.

There is no real persecution. There is a rejection of their very limited world view.
I think this post nails it.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:16 PM

176 posts, read 202,515 times
Not exactly. While it's true that some people (particularly on the left) seem to take gleeful satisfaction at condemning Christianity, there is no real persecution that persists akin to that experienced by some members of black, Hispanic, or Muslim communities.

I believe the "sense" of persecution among many members of the Christian faith stems from two main roots:

1) The nation has changed. No longer does the church dictate many social mores that they have long been accustomed to. Demographics are changing. The country seems to be less and less "godly". That can be a bitter pill to swallow. Therefore even generic "slights" such as being wished Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas can cause them to lash out that their way of life is under assault by "others."

2) Even as pedestrian as many petty slights may be, it allows some to feel as though they are being persecuted for their faith. This actually makes them feel closer to many of their biblical heroes who actually were persecuted for their faith or tested by the Lord ( think Job, Daniel, Christ himself). It may not be on the level of being thrown in a lion's den or being hung from a cross, but having to watch two men get married or seeing a menorah added to a nativity scene allows some people to feel as though they are living out the biblical prophecy that they will be persecuted for their faith.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:43 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsteel17 View Post
Not exactly. While it's true that some people (particularly on the left) seem to take gleeful satisfaction at condemning Christianity, there is no real persecution that persists akin to that experienced by some members of black, Hispanic, or Muslim communities.

I believe the "sense" of persecution among many members of the Christian faith stems from two main roots:

1) The nation has changed. No longer does the church dictate many social mores that they have long been accustomed to. Demographics are changing. The country seems to be less and less "godly". That can be a bitter pill to swallow. Therefore even generic "slights" such as being wished Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas can cause them to lash out that their way of life is under assault by "others."

2) Even as pedestrian as many petty slights may be, it allows some to feel as though they are being persecuted for their faith. This actually makes them feel closer to many of their biblical heroes who actually were persecuted for their faith or tested by the Lord ( think Job, Daniel, Christ himself). It may not be on the level of being thrown in a lion's den or being hung from a cross, but having to watch two men get married or seeing a menorah added to a nativity scene allows some people to feel as though they are living out the biblical prophecy that they will be persecuted for their faith.
Interestingly though, many of the people who call themselves "Christian" are less and less Godly, but the people they seem to rail against most (the black community, Muslims, Hispanics, etc.) are more and more Godly. The irony is astonishing.

...and I think most people on the left don't "Take gleeful satisfaction in condemning Christianity". I think that many of them/us are quick to point out when people do non-Christian things in the name of Christianity, or when those same people apply a double-standard when allowing religion to dictate society. I, and I think most people on the left, respect the true values of Christianity (I'm Jew-ish, btw), and are equally as sad as you seem to be that they are falling victim to the PC-right that I was referring to in my first post on the subject.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:43 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
I say if you look not just Christians but continuing hate of Jews. If you look its not new; Christian and Jews will survive it has They use to the haters thru the centuries.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:18 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I say if you look not just Christians but continuing hate of Jews. If you look its not new; Christian and Jews will survive it has They use to the haters thru the centuries.
Please. Cite me one single present-day instance in the US of genuine persecution against christians. Or jews.

Not getting their own way is not persecution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies