Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2015, 04:50 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
If in fact it actually happened.
Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 07:16 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
He would be safer here than Russia. In Russia easier to disappear than the US. Easier to do away with him there.

But he is a law breaking, treasonous coward. If he gets whacked there I will hold a pachanga.
I assume you have the same opinion of the law breaking cowards running the NSA. Maybe you should whack them.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:16 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Snowden has done more to help Americans fight a tyrannical government than anyone in the past 200 years. Here is a very good movie that documents the entire event. I highly recommend it, but it will scare the sh1t out of you. Our government is way more powerful and intrusive than most people think. And Obama does his usual lying and covering up. POS Obama is the most deceitful leader in the history of the earth.

Citizenfour (2014) - IMDb
Snowden a hero? What do you think Putin wants with that little coward in Russia?

Old 10-19-2015, 08:21 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
snowden is the man. now when I talk about all the stuff government is doing people can no longer call me paranoid. its funny to see regular citizens call him a traitor. the government has this giant layer of secrecy from the American people and people actually believe its for their benefit. the government keeps secrets from you to benefit the corrupt government, not to benefit americans.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:23 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'm sure some good and bad will come out of Snowden's efforts over the next several decades. But I wouldn't call him America's biggest hero by any means. It's so easy to name others that had a much larger positive impact on the nation than Snowden. Abraham Lincoln and Martin Luther King come to mind.
it always shocks me how well Abraham Lincoln is treated by history.

"Civil War Statistics.
The Civil War, America's bloodiest conflict, cost nearly 1,100,000 casualties and claimed more than 620,000 lives. The campaigning armies left destruction in their wake, particularly in the Southern states that bore the brunt of the fighting."

abe Lincoln was a mass murderer of Americans. he is one of the worst people in the history of the world. if he would have avoided war instead of promoted war, that would have been great. but the US government loves corrupt wars.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:24 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,244,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
One does not take an oath to hide illegal actions of the state.
Whether there were "illegal actions of the state" or not was not Snowden's call. With an agency of that size it would be unlikely that some of its policies wouldn't be considered illegal by some court. But he released more information than necessary if he simply wanted to change the data collection of individual phone calls. He cost American lives. We'll never know how many Americans died because of his treason, but we can be sure that his actions meant death to some of our best young men and women and weakened the security of our nation. Hero? Hell no, not to anyone who cares about America. Hero to our enemies? No, he's a traitor no matter how you look at it. Those who see it otherwise don't have a clear picture of the whole mess.

Some of the information may lead to changes for the good, but that's minuscule compared to the potential harm he's caused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Yea, and prior to Snowden's Revelations, espousing that the Government was spying on its own citizens was met with the same response. Put your tin foil hat on tighter.

Now you have people coming out of the woodwork saying "we all knew the government was spying on us" but prior to Snowden they would have said put your tin foil hat on tighter....
I was in military intelligence during the Vietnam Era. I personally wrote a several-page news release (ok'd by our commander and published by at least two daily newspapers) that one of our regular duties included intercepting and listening to private phone conversations as a way to find our own security leaks. (If we could gain sensitive military information by listening to phone conversations, reading news articles or watching TV, then the enemy could do it too.)

That would have been in '68 or '69. It's been common practice and knowledge for 45+ years -- probably much longer than that, but that's when I wrote the story, at the urging of my Group commander. I'm sure there have been some years when it was stopped for legal reasons, but for the most part, the military is charged with the security of the USA, and they're going to do their best to protect it.

The "public" will in one sentence say that U.S. Intelligence isn't accurate enough and in the next say they have too much power. We simply can't have it both ways.

Old 10-20-2015, 04:45 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Whether there were "illegal actions of the state" or not was not Snowden's call.
So it wasn't the call of those who blew the whistle on Enron either? They should have just kept it to themselves?

Quote:
With an agency of that size it would be unlikely that some of its policies wouldn't be considered illegal by some court. But he released more information than necessary if he simply wanted to change the data collection of individual phone calls. He cost American lives.
I can usually tell when I'm on the correct side. The counter arguments resort to lies.

I also have to quit here as to further honestly address your crap would likely tick off the mods.

Old 10-20-2015, 02:30 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Whether there were "illegal actions of the state" or not was not Snowden's call. .
Actually it was. In fact, it's the "call" of every citizen to oppose immoral and unconstitutional actions by the government.

Everyone in the military knows their oath is to support the constitution, not the government.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:17 AM

20,836 posts, read 17,115,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Actually it was. In fact, it's the "call" of every citizen to oppose immoral and unconstitutional actions by the government.

Everyone in the military knows their oath is to support the constitution, not the government.
Thank you.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:04 AM

13,305 posts, read 7,875,111 times
Animosity towards whistleblowers may just be one of the ugliest aspects of American culture.

It is primitive tribalism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies