Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 01:02 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
What was so good about it?
The 80's followed more than 10 years of not so great times in the US. This is the short list.... Vietnam, Watergate, Civil unrest, Iranian Hostages, a bad economy and punctuated by Carter who is very nice man but was never really suitable as the leader of the US. There is not a whole of great things that happened in the 70's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPe9sXy35H4

Full video here, suggest you watch it and you can better understanding why people loved Reagan.

Reagan . American Experience . WGBH | PBS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 02:21 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
There is NOTHING religious fundamentalist of the Reagan years as President and Governor of California.
I didn't say there were. I was born in 1976 (in California btw), so I am too young to remember Reagan as governor. I do remember him as president though. He would wink and nod at guys like Falwell just often enough for the Religious Right to feel like he was there guy. Was it sincere? No, I don't believe it was. Reagan was too congenial to be a religious extremist. Still, he made use of the movement to suit his political purposes.

Last edited by WestCobb; 09-19-2015 at 02:41 AM..

Old 09-19-2015, 02:35 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
Can't say that I hated Reagan but I sure didn't like him. He was the first Republican running for President that I did not vote far and one of the biggest reasons was his courting of the religious right.
This is very interesting to hear this. You and my grandpa probably would have a lot to talk about. My grandpa voted Republican in every election since he first registered to vote in the 1930s. I don't know who he voted for in 1980 (I just can't picture him pulling the lever for Carter) but I know he sure didn't vote for Reagan in 84. Grandpa saw the Religious Right as the menace it was and is. That's not to say he was an anti Christain or militant atheist. He just was deeply conservative in the true sense of the word and understood for the American way of life and government to carry on as intended religion must be kept out of politics. I'm sure grandpa realized a dark day was dawning for his beloved party when he saw Reagan flirting with the flotsam at Bob Jones U. That nasty element has pretty much overtaken the party now - with the teajadists declaring war on all but the most extreme, looniest and absurd. Robespierre would be proud.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:38 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Debbie Wasserman Schultz liked the hair do enough to keep it.

Didn't like the amnesty or Nancy Reagan. Didn't care much for the Reagan kids, either.

Cocaine casual drug use = bad.

AIDs bad.

MTV was good in the 1980s.

Hostage release good.

Berlin Wall coming down was good.

Chernobyl bad.

Loved my Commodore 64.

Challenger crash not good.

Miami Vice.

Mullet.

Swatch watch.

It's Hammer time! You can't touch this.

Pac-Man.

Michael Jackson music good.

aviator glasses.

Pan Am Flight 103 awful. Beirut barracks bombing bad.

Last edited by LauraC; 09-19-2015 at 03:00 AM..

Old 09-19-2015, 06:42 AM

2,345 posts, read 1,670,731 times
Quote:
I don't understand how both sides could be so far apart in their recollection of The Regan Years. Is it possible to be a republican and dislike the Regan years?
The "Regan" years?? Trish Regan ?? If you're referring to President Reagan, you fooled me h

Old 09-19-2015, 06:52 AM

2,345 posts, read 1,670,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Didn't like the amnesty or Nancy Reagan. Didn't care much for the Reagan kids, either.

Nancy was not warm, could not understand why RR married her?!!

Ron Reagan Jr. is obscene. A total slime bag. You cannot convince me that Ronald Reagan is his biological father.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:53 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,627,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
If you can't even spell Reagan correctly, you are lacking in a good education and haven't done any historical research on your own. Pitiful, really pitiful.
The OP is technically correct. You cannot discuss the Reagan years without discussing the Regan years

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Regan

Old 09-19-2015, 06:57 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Most of the Carter years were very high inflation and very high interest rates.

I smell a ratty banking system.
The exhaustation debts of Viet Nam?

People actually PAID for that war?

Most folks I knew at the time thought the war was going to be free.

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 09-19-2015 at 07:16 AM..

Old 09-19-2015, 07:05 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
I don't understand how both sides could be so far apart in their recollection of The Regan Years. Is it possible to be a republican and dislike the Regan years?

I voted for Reagan both times and I recall the 80s as a period of recovery from the economic malaise of the late 70s. Reagan was a cheerful optimist who proudly displayed his vision for America overcoming the USSR by driving the Soviet military into bankruptcy, which is pretty much what happened. He should get more credit for winning the cold war.

That said, I acknowledge that some of his policies were very wrong-headed and he too often caved to special interests at the expense of the public in terms of environmental and some social issues.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:48 AM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui
can't stay on topic? Obama has nothing to do with what Ronnie did or didn't do when he was in office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
tell me how Obama is a much better president than Reagan was?
This should be good....let me get my popcorn and pull up a chair!

Don't forget that when you have a "messiah" no one else can measure up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies