Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 10:44 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times

Advertisements

If you think Trump is so dangerous, who do you think would be a responsible choice for president among the other candidates?

Before Trump stirred things up we were looking at another Bush vs Clinton election that would keep us on the same path we are on now, regardless of which one of them won. If Trump is too much of a wildcard then which one of the establishment candidates would be better for our nation? If Trump gets knocked out of the race we will be back to business as usual, politics by the old rules, which will eventually give us either Bush vs Clinton or at the very least two candidates who are blessed by the big moneyed interests. Are you OK with that? Is that what America needs more of right now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 10:47 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Like a lot of people outside that strange intellectual playpen and country club called Political Correctness, I'm "playing defense" at this point.

My personal values are grounded in a philosophy that everyone has a right to subscribe to his/her own beliefs, and to express them, so long as they do not infringe upon the identical rights granted to everyone else. That standard was the central tenet of what came to be called the Enlightenment -- until a supposedly more-enlightened few decided that they had all the answers, and determined to impose them on everyone else.

As an extension to that value system, I believe (in theory) that no one has the right to live at anyone else's expense, particularly when a supposedly-benevolent public sector (which never seems to stop growing) forces everyone else to pay the bill via confiscatory taxation.

But I acknowledge that we live in a complex post-industrial society, and bad things do still happen to responsible people, so I don't have a problem with a minimal "safety net", so long as it is locally-administered so as to exclude those who try to make their own irresponsibility into a career (And if any of you folks over in LeftyLand believe that such people are rare, I have some prime "bottom land" in Louisiana that might interest you).

I take a small amount of satisfaction from the phenomenon of Trump's emergence; I know that most of his ideas won't work in the real world, and I know why, but it's apparent that his stance serves to rattle the Leftist dreamers and ideologues, and demonstrates that a lot of us are wise to both their hypocrisy and their abuse of the raw power that is their only goal.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 09-18-2015 at 11:40 AM..

Old 09-18-2015, 10:53 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
I don't think he is dangerous but I don't think he is presidential material and would never support him.

I would vote for John Kasich over Trump and will if given the chance during the primaries.

If Trumpt got the nomination or if one of the other nominees, including Kasich, picked Trump as a running mate, I'd vote for Hillary Clinton.

I'm an independent and an Ohioan, so my vote counts. IMO Kasich is a good moderate candidate with a good amount of experience in government. He also has progressed from overly conservative to moderately conservative and now knows more of the meaning of "compromise."

I think that both parties would be willing to work with him and he would be the best choice for the GOP.

ETA: I would not support Bernie Sanders either. I think he is a throwback Democrat and not someone who can get things done in government if elected due to so many conservatives and liberals viewing him as "too liberal." I also think he's too old to be president.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:11 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
I support Sen. Rand Paul and John Kasich

I don't think Trump is dangerous and I think we should give him a chance, the worst case scenario is that we stuck with him for only four years. He is not a Hawk, he has a lot of interesting ideas. I don't mind voting for him.

will NEVER vote for Hillary Clinton, NEVER.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:11 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I don't think he is dangerous but I don't think he is presidential material and would never support him.

I would vote for John Kasich over Trump and will if given the chance during the primaries.

If Trumpt got the nomination or if one of the other nominees, including Kasich, picked Trump as a running mate, I'd vote for Hillary Clinton.
+1.

I don't want to vote for Clinton and I really hope the GOP gives me a decent alternative ticket - which right now I define as one without Trump, Cruz, Santorum, Huckabee, or Walker on top or bottom.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:13 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Trump is the King with No Clothes, he will soon find out- he has no clothes--- or what it takes to be a commander in chief, a diplomat, world leader and president to ALL Americans

Old 09-18-2015, 11:15 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
If Trump gets knocked out of the race we will be back to business as usual, politics by the old rules, which will eventually give us either Bush vs Clinton or at the very least two candidates who are blessed by the big moneyed interests. Are you OK with that? Is that what America needs more of right now?
No, I am not okay with that.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:16 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,446,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Trump is the King with No Clothes, he will soon find out- he has no clothes--- or what it takes to be a commander in chief, a diplomat, world leader and president to ALL Americans
Why? Obama is none of those things, especially a Prez to ALL Americans.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:20 AM

633 posts, read 640,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
If you think Trump is so dangerous, who do you think would be a responsible choice for president among the other candidates?

Before Trump stirred things up we were looking at another Bush vs Clinton election that would keep us on the same path we are on now, regardless of which one of them won. If Trump is too much of a wildcard then which one of the establishment candidates would be better for our nation? If Trump gets knocked out of the race we will be back to business as usual, politics by the old rules, which will eventually give us either Bush vs Clinton or at the very least two candidates who are blessed by the big moneyed interests. Are you OK with that? Is that what America needs more of right now?
To be honest Bush is doing SO poorly right now it looks like someone else would have knocked him out of the #1 position even if Trump wasn't running. If Trump drops out tomorrow the lead candidate won't be Jeb.

Prior to the debate, Bush had fallen to third in national polling:

RealClearPolitics - Election 2016 - 2016 Republican Presidential Nomination

Trump is far and away the lead here, but note that Carson is ALSO double Jeb's numbers. Jeb is statistically tied- that is, within the margin of error with Cruz (7.8 to 6.8) and Rubio (7.8 to 5.3). After the second debate there is no doubt that Fiorina (viewed as having won that by most pundits) will ALSO pass him, knocking him down to fourth or tied for fifth. Neither Carson nor Fiorina have ever held political office, and it's a serious stretch to imply that Cruz and Rubio who are both freshmen junior senators are "establishment" candidates.

Jeb isn't Mitt Romney. There's nothing here to indicate he ever had the kind of strong support or deep pockets that would allow him to outlast everyone else.

As for what I'm ok with, I have no issues with the current administration. If Hillary or Bernie continues the same policies (with some tweaks here and there re: foreign policy) that's where my vote goes.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:20 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

I'm an independent and an Ohioan, so my vote counts. IMO Kasich is a good moderate candidate with a good amount of experience in government. He also has progressed from overly conservative to moderately conservative and now knows more of the meaning of "compromise."

I think that both parties would be willing to work with him and he would be the best choice for the GOP.

ETA: I would not support Bernie Sanders either. I think he is a throwback Democrat and not someone who can get things done in government if elected due to so many conservatives and liberals viewing him as "too liberal." I also think he's too old to be president.
the problem is that we keep trying the hillary clinton types, have been since 1988. oh they use a different party affiliation, and they say different things, but in the end they are all the same essentially. be it either clinton, either bush, obama, mccain, romney, biden, even sanders. they are pretty much all interchangeable.

now here comes trump, fiorina, and carson. and what do they have in common? they are not politicians. and while they are near the top of the food chain, as it were, they are different from the status quo.

we have had politicians running this country since the early 1800s, and what has it gotten us? right now a huge mess. perhaps we need a businessman to come in and clean up this mess, or at least get us started down the path to cleaning up this mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies