Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 08:59 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Many of you people remind me of the late 30's German attitude towards Jewish people...Shameful.
...which shows how little you know about history!

I know it's pointless to try and reason with you, but it's early and I've got a little time before I begin my work.

Here goes:

Most American citizens are rightly afraid of Muslim extremists. Those who truly believe that killing infidels (us) is something God will reward them for.

If anything, it's these Muslim extremists who should remind you of the Nazi's, not concerned Americans. They, like the Nazi's, wish to exterminate anyone who does not believe as they do. White, black, Christian, Jew, Atheist, Female, Male, gay, straight, young, old, and even Muslims who do not believe "correctly"... they wish to exterminate us all.

...yet you make silly statements against those who see them for what these extremists are. It's your ilk who constantly refer to Godwin's law ad hominem, yet here you are doing it in true hypocritical fashion.

Aren't you tired of being on the wrong side of every argument you make?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
They either wear their hypocrisy like a badge of honor (ignorant), or they're entirely blind to it (still ignorant.)

Last edited by steven_h; 09-21-2015 at 09:08 AM..

Old 09-21-2015, 09:27 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Except no one says every Muslim is bad. Just that there are enough bad Muslims to make allowing large numbers to immigrate.
Bull, there are several people on CD who claim every Muslim is either a terrorist or a terrorist sympathizer. Are you new?

Old 09-21-2015, 09:27 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,442,264 times
Yes, Muslims and followers of Islam should not condemn the millions of people who do not follow their religion

Whew, progress! Glad the tide is turning, thanks OP!

Old 09-21-2015, 09:32 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
And you would be Exhibit A of the failure of empathy and nuanced understanding of the errors of stereotyping, as I was just describing.

Have you paid attention to the fact that not all Muslims stand for this sort of behavior? Of course you haven't. It's much easier to adopt a simplistic mentality and write off everyone as being the exact same, isn't it?
Yet, they don't condemn it. Which is essentially condoning it. I'll believe that they don't all stand for that sort of behavior when they start coming out against the bad seeds.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:35 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Of course Islam crosses races, but there is no doubt that racism is part of the equation. When you see someone of a particular Middle Eastern ethnicity on the street and (if you're a certain kind of conservative) you make assumptions about what they're like based on your perceptions of Muslims, you cannot deny that racism is part of the picture. And this happens all. the. time.

You don't have to agree with their political beliefs, etc. I don't. And anyone that advocates extremism and violence against non-Muslims, I oppose.

But the point is that when you deal with them in various facets of life, you have to also have the moral and intellectual fortitude to treat them as individuals and form judgments off of real evidence, not just stereotypes. When you have desperate Syrian families trying to get away from violence, you can't just write them all off as evil scum, especially if you're a conservative who calls himself "Christian." This is not what Jesus would have done.
Still confused about that whole "race" thing, I see.

Nobody is calling the women and children of Syria "scum". But I will call the young men that are flocking to Europe scum. Scum for leaving women and children behind. Scum for not staying and fighting for THEIR country. Scum for using the charity of Europe as an opportunity to get free stuff.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:24 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,358 times
Quote:
It just is. It is the racist play of the 21st century.

Look, I don't like terrorists and extremists anymore than anyone else, and I want them all stopped. And I also don't like many aspects of certain Muslim cultures; there are things that some of them do from an institutional standpoint that are wrong. But we can't be rational, compassionate adults (especially ones who claim to be Christians) and slander every single Muslim as terrorist vermin - what you see in the media about a minority of them just isn't true about all, and it's not fair to all of them.

Most adults are taught at some point in their upbringing that stereotyping everyone of a sex, race, creed, etc. is inaccurate; that the world is more nuanced than everyone of a certain ethnicity being "all the same." And we see certain segments of conservatives failing this basic test of adulthood every day.

Most recent examples:

All Syrian refugees smeared as terrorists on right-wing blogs.

Trump's supporter who wants to "get rid of" all Muslims, to which Trump responds that "we'll be looking at a lot of different things."

Denigrating the 14 year-old Muslim kid with the clock because of his faith and slandering his dad as an extremist - which by all accounts he isn't.

It's just not smart to label all of a certain ethnicity of people as all being a certain way. What you see in the conservative media is not reality. Treating people this way is not Christ-like, and it shows a serious lack of empathy for others.
Since your premise is about 99% wrong and is clearly agenda driven there is little point in attempting to refute your assertions or have any kind of conversation with you. Coat trailing at its worst.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:25 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
This is a troll thread.
It's not a troll thread, but it's a useless thread. Liberals believe you can make people love us by welcoming them into the community, finding them jobs and shelter and throwing as much money at the problem as possible. They refuse to recognize the downside and accuse anyone of disagreeing with them as a hopeless racist and bigot. Who cares that this country is all ready overwhelmed with Latinos, busting whole state budgets and setting people against each other in the most astonishing ways. Let's bring more people over who have no idea of Western norms and culture and set them loose on society. It's typical feelgood nonsense without any thought for the consequences.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:57 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,070,918 times
Quote:
I know Muslims. See them every day, talk to them, deal with them. And I'm a white European who is not a Muslim, and they have not forced me to convert to anything. They've been like any other Americans I come into contact with. They're not interested in being terrorists and extremists; they're just trying to live their lives.
So said the people who knew the Boston and Chattanooga terrorists for years.

No one has said that every muslim is a terrorist. That is just you using broad brush strokes to paint everyone raising legitimate concerns about importing more of that ideology.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:01 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Quote:
It just is. It is the racist play of the 21st century.

Look, I don't like terrorists and extremists anymore than anyone else, and I want them all stopped. And I also don't like many aspects of certain Muslim cultures; there are things that some of them do from an institutional standpoint that are wrong. But we can't be rational, compassionate adults (especially ones who claim to be Christians) and slander every single Muslim as terrorist vermin - what you see in the media about a minority of them just isn't true about all, and it's not fair to all of them.

Most adults are taught at some point in their upbringing that stereotyping everyone of a sex, race, creed, etc. is inaccurate; that the world is more nuanced than everyone of a certain ethnicity being "all the same." And we see certain segments of conservatives failing this basic test of adulthood every day.

Most recent examples:

All Syrian refugees smeared as terrorists on right-wing blogs.

Trump's supporter who wants to "get rid of" all Muslims, to which Trump responds that "we'll be looking at a lot of different things."

Denigrating the 14 year-old Muslim kid with the clock because of his faith and slandering his dad as an extremist - which by all accounts he isn't.

It's just not smart to label all of a certain ethnicity of people as all being a certain way. What you see in the conservative media is not reality. Treating people this way is not Christ-like, and it shows a serious lack of empathy for others.
No one is slandering 1.5 B muslims except in the democratic party where they 'project' their fear on political opponents.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:03 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,070,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Gives you some evidence of the ignorance of leftists. As if more was needed.

Saying "Well, not all Muslims are terrorists (or killers of gays, subjugators of women, murders of infidels, take your pick)" is a lot like saying "Well not all Nazis ran gas chambers". Doesn't mean we should just arbitrarily embrace them or import them into our country.
Exactly. Nazi ideology prevailed despite the fact that some were not running gas chambers or even agreeing with it. They tolerated it to save their own skins which is what many muslims do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies