Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2015, 07:43 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times

Advertisements

Of course you don't see anything you don't want to.
You give admittedly far-leftist sources like MediaMatters and Crooks and Liars... to whine about the other side. What a surprise.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:55 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
You give admittedly far-leftist sources like MediaMatters and Crooks and Liars... to whine about the other side. What a surprise.
Let me help you get back on track here. You said this:
Quote:
And leftists and Dems, including in here, as well as a lot of the media are cherry-picking and even sometimes distorting what he says. Using it to throw against those they disagree with politically. It's disingenuous.
I told you that I had not seen any evidence of what you had claimed, but that I had seen the right attacking the Pope's message and I offered you a few examples. Whether or not you like the sources is irrelevant, they are links to actual quotes not op eds. The issue is that you have yet to prove your claim that leftists and dems are cherry picking or distorting the pope's message, so at this point I have to assume that you either can't, or you choose not to do so.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:20 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
The Pope can save it for somewhere else. We have "separation of church and state" and I thought the Dems were the ones insisting that we keep it that way. There is constant criticism of the GOP taking a stand on religious issues and now the Pope wants to show up and shake his finger at us? Ah, he has enough issues within his own realm, those working below him to put his nose into.

I'm not into the Catholic thing but this Pope Francis, is this who is being discussed: Why So Many People Think Pope Francis Is the Antichrist ? Charisma News
The pope did not invite himself to speak to Congress.

I don't know how the pope made the decision to visit America - but I am under the impression that John Boehner has been trying to arrange a papal visit for years.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Disagree. Completely. The Pope made it clear that he did not want to be viewed as a leftist, even as his policies align with leftist Democrats in America. It is absolutely not a coincidence that he disavowed liberalism prior to his arrival in the US. He did so because he knows that politicizing his moral message is the best way to be zeroed in on by Democrats' opponents within and outside the party.
You seem to have a very intimate relationship with the interior workings of the papal brain. Is there something you haven't been telling us?

Old 09-25-2015, 08:39 PM

5,994 posts, read 3,733,906 times
Quote:
As do you. You've made that very clear in your posts. Why do you criticize others when you suffer from the very same shortcomings?

Old 09-25-2015, 08:57 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Let me help you get back on track here. You said this:

I told you that I had not seen any evidence of what you had claimed, but that I had seen the right attacking the Pope's message and I offered you a few examples. Whether or not you like the sources is irrelevant, they are links to actual quotes not op eds. The issue is that you have yet to prove your claim that leftists and dems are cherry picking or distorting the pope's message, so at this point I have to assume that you either can't, or you choose not to do so.
It was in my previous posts you apparently didn't notice. Help yourself.
Don't like it? Take it up with the Catholic source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
As do you. You've made that very clear in your posts. Why do you criticize others when you suffer from the very same shortcomings?
Another confused person who missed how I've mentioned the fault of both sides.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:00 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

I don't know how the pope made the decision to visit America - but I am under the impression that John Boehner has been trying to arrange a papal visit for years.
Pope Francis long planned to visit the USA for the conference on families happening in Philly, that was the entire point of his American visit from the start. It was Obama and others who felt "so long as the pontiff was going to be in the States anyway.....". Thus a slew of invitations were sent to Rome. This number grew as the Pope's "rock star" status grew including being on the cover of Time magazine. Everyone wants a piece of that action and a chance to cloak themselves in a bit of the magic.

To my mind the Obamas aren't exactly the most religious family to occupy the WH (do they even go to church?) so for BO to fall all over himself about Pope Francis seems rather rich. But again as one stated previously it is about the current occupant of the office rather than religion as a whole.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:11 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

I wonder what the Pope really said to John.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:31 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I wonder what the Pope really said to John.
Yes, that was my first thought, too, when I heard the news that Boehner had suddenly decided to resign. It seems a bit too coincidental that it would occur mere hours after his meeting with the Pope. He was obviously distressed throughout the Pope's visit. We've seen Boehner cry before, but nothing like this. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pope said something to him that made him come to this decision.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Yes, that was my first thought, too, when I heard the news that Boehner had suddenly decided to resign. It seems a bit too coincidental that it would occur mere hours after his meeting with the Pope. He was obviously distressed throughout the Pope's visit. We've seen Boehner cry before, but nothing like this. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pope said something to him that made him come to this decision.
I wonder that myself.

Boehner would have resigned last year, but changed his mind when Cantor lost - seems he felt that he owed it to Congressional Rs to help hold things together. He couldn't have been looking forward to being reviled by those same congressional Rs for his efforts to prevent another shut-down.

Maybe the pope told him it was OK, he could just stop, he owes nothing to them anymore? Or maybe his tears had nothing to do with partisan politics. Maybe this devout catholic was just overwhelmed by meeting a pope face-to-face. I don't really understand it myself, but I can't ignore the fact that millions of people world-wide feel the same way about the pope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies