Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 01:29 PM

62,976 posts, read 29,170,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
a) we are a country of immigrants, who came here for a better life.
b) liberals believe that immigrants shouldn't be working for less. That's why we liked Cesar Chavez so much.
c) Americans aren't working for the wages that are offered immigrants.

Meanwhile, the GOP is always for cutting taxes, that fall mainly on the wealthy and for paying for those tax-cuts but slashing the social safety net. To argue that the Republicans help ordinary people and the Democrats are for the rich, one must live in Alice's Wonderland.
That

a) Illegal aliens aren't "immigrants". So no, we aren't a country of illegal aliens regardless of their desire for a better life at the expense of the American worker/taxpayer.

b) Migrants? Are we blurring those lines again between legal and illegal again? Even if illegal aliens were legalized they'd still be willing to work for less than the going wage so Americans would still be undercut in hiring practices and besides we need the jobs they are holding.

c) No kidding. That's why some employers hire illegal aliens.

That's just liberal, leftist propaganda. I don't know of one conservative that doesn't want the rich to be paying their fair share of taxes. Both parties are in the back pockets of the rich. This is news to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 01:34 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,327,801 times
NBA has a salary cap.... works just fine....

bring it to the rest of the world.....

Old 10-01-2015, 01:35 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,285,615 times
Quote:
a) we are a country of immigrants, who came here for a better life.
b) liberals believe that immigrants shouldn't be working for less. That's why we liked Cesar Chavez so much.
c) Americans aren't working for the wages that are offered immigrants.

Meanwhile, the GOP is always for cutting taxes, that fall mainly on the wealthy and for paying for those tax-cuts but slashing the social safety net. To argue that the Republicans help ordinary people and the Democrats are for the rich, one must live in Alice's Wonderland.
Those generations arrived after being free of all diseases and they had to go to work or starve, there were no social programs for those who could not make it.

Ha ha ha, your joking right? Chavez was a big supporter of deporting illegals.

Legal immigrants are offered the same as anyone else based on qualifications. They could be offered more for being bilingual.

We don't want a vast social safety net. If you do everything for everyone they will do nothing for themselves.
Actually big wealthy business people gave by far more to the Democrats and the Democrats work most for them. Follow the money and put Alice in Wonderland down.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:06 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
No surprise. Near zero interest rates push more money into the stock market. A very favorable crony-capitalism system with washing dc doing exactly what big companies want done.
Exactly! When there is no where else to put your money but in the stock market, because interest rates are artificially low... yeah, we are going to have a lot of money in the stock market, and no where else.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:05 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,180,483 times
Quote:
Near zero interest rates also allow ordinary people to get low mortgage rates, low car rates, etc. The purpose of low interest rates is to encourage consumption in a recovering economy.

Besides, there is no rationale for higher rates, as inflation is below the Fed target and there is no sign that the economy is overheating.

When I was shopping for a mortgage in the 1980s, I used to marvel at the fact that my father had a 6% mortgage, when I was looking at 9-11% mortgages. My current mortgage is 3-5/8%.

Yet, despite zero interest rates and stimulus, and massive federal spending, 3.2 trillion, massive QE1,2,3 spending by the fed, we have more people out of the workforce, more people on food stamps, and jobs are not being created.

Is it working?

I remember my first home loan back in the 1988 was 10.5 percent, 40k down on a 85k home, boy was I dumb. Bought the hype of "got to have a home". I paid the loan off after 5 years, but falling for the hype was a terrible idea.

Are we just creating another credit bubble in housing and consumer products? Just because credit is cheap should so many people be going into debt?

Old 10-03-2015, 04:06 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Debt shouldn't be cheap.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:18 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,123,976 times
God for Bezos, and good for everyone that is smart enough to invent something and create jobs.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:14 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
Yet, despite zero interest rates and stimulus, and massive federal spending, 3.2 trillion, massive QE1,2,3 spending by the fed, we have more people out of the workforce, more people on food stamps, and jobs are not being created.

Is it working?

I remember my first home loan back in the 1988 was 10.5 percent, 40k down on a 85k home, boy was I dumb. Bought the hype of "got to have a home". I paid the loan off after 5 years, but falling for the hype was a terrible idea.

Are we just creating another credit bubble in housing and consumer products? Just because credit is cheap should so many people be going into debt?
First, when you speak of "more people out of the workforce," that's the participation rate and a trend that has been occurring for decades and is largely demographic.

Second, as for your assertion that "jobs are not being created," that's just wrong.

Third, we do not have "more people on food stamps." That number peaked in 2013 and is declining.

To answer your question, yes, it's working.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:27 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Good for Bezos, and good for everyone that is smart enough to invent something and create jobs.
This is a common fallacy on the right -- that those earning the big money are those that are creating something beneficial. The reality is that most of the top 0.1% are not inventors or creators but overwhelmingly occupied by executives of one kind or another -- corporate, finance, real estate, and lawyers (mergers and acquisitions not court attorneys.) We pay our CEOs thousands of times the pay of workers and it's hard to argue that they perform the work of thousands of people. Many of those high compensated CEOs perform poorly.

Also remember, the 40 top-paid hedge fund managers and traders made an average of more than $400 million each in 2012.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:15 AM

3,617 posts, read 3,886,108 times
Quote:
This is a common fallacy on the right -- that those earning the big money are those that are creating something beneficial. The reality is that most of the top 0.1% are not inventors or creators but overwhelmingly occupied by executives of one kind or another -- corporate, finance, real estate, and lawyers (mergers and acquisitions not court attorneys.) We pay our CEOs thousands of times the pay of workers and it's hard to argue that they perform the work of thousands of people. Many of those high compensated CEOs perform poorly.

Also remember, the 40 top-paid hedge fund managers and traders made an average of more than $400 million each in 2012.
....and it's a common fallacy on the left that the middle and upper-middle class is stupid enough to vote for higher taxes on themselves and/or higher deficit spending which will need to be paid by themselves or their children out of envy of a handful of executives who write their own paychecks and hedge fund managers who found enough other rich people people dumb enough to give them 20%/2%. Do those people exist? Yes. Do they get paid for more than the value they add? Yes. Can Democrat's spending habit be funded off their backs alone? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies