Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 05:00 PM

19,869 posts, read 22,764,998 times

Advertisements

Well we're about in the same camp, and as an Independent I have nothing to look forward to for the 6 months or so. It'll all be issues that really don't interest me. I'm sure you have noticed almost all the banter is on immigration, family values, LGBT ad naseum. Not a whole lot of substance a far as tackling the deficit, the budget- you know the really important stuff like looking at where exactly our spending is going to and getting it in order.

All hat, no cattle. Ahhh- to live on the fringe must be an exciting time. For the rest of us- blech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 05:08 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,248,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
The recent backlash of all-things conservative and GOP-related has got me thinking lately. I've always considered myself a Republican with moderate-to-right leaning views on a lot of social issues but I find that what I believe in sort of spans both sides of the spectrum. Even sometimes leaning to the left, although I don't particularly like a lot of liberal viewpoints. So, I figured I'd get the opinions of the dark and scary CD posters and see what they think when I lay out some of my views, and how you all would consider me in the political sense.

Background....I'm a 30 year old white male who was born and raised in suburban Tennessee, but have also lived in Florida and California (the latter of which I'll be moving back to in the near future).

Like I said, I consider myself to be a Republican.

My views on some issues:

- I'm not religious. I don't mind if people are, I'm just not. I don't make fun of Christians or anything like that. I think the Christian-shaming in society right now is just stupid.
- I'm fine with gay marriage.
- I think transgender stuff is....kinda weird.....but there's no reason not to be who you feel you are. I guess I'm not one to judge.
- In the light of yesterday's shooting in Oregon.....I'm not a gun nut (never shot one in my life) and while I do believe there should be universally harsher gun laws and penalties for gun violence, I'm of the mindset that mentally messed up people are gonna get theirs either way (guns and lives). If they want to kill someone, whether it's a gang member killing another one or a mass shooting, people will find a way to kill people if that's what they want.
- Abortion. I have my own personal reasons for this, but I'm definitely pro-life.
- Immigration. I think this country has a problem with illegal immigration and something needs to happen. I believe people (mainly liberals) can make immigration reform seem like a "Trail of Tears" scenario but how long are these people going to be allowed to commit crimes, take up tax dollars, and circumvent our rules and regulations while legal immigrants pay their dues and become positive members of society? Legal immigration is totally cool with me and I've had close personal relationships with legal immigrants in the past.
- Racial tension: There are some racists who still exist. Across all races. It's dumb and people need to stop. I think "Black Lives Matter" is all well and good in theory, and it brings needed attention to race in America, but I feel like sometimes facts are missed or ignored for the sake of playing a race card. Example, the Mike Brown thing. Unfortunate situation, but two different autopsies showed that the "Hands Up, Don't Shoot" incident was scientifically wrong and couldn't have happened. Yet, we see how much that deterred racial tension. Anyway, stop being racist. Which brings me to....
- Confederate flag. I think there are some rural yahoos in the south that fly the flag proudly as an ignorant racist statement, but I think most southern people use it as a symbol of just being a redneck. I think it's tacky and dumb, but I don't believe most people using the symbol are racists. People don't like hearing that but as someone who grew up in the south (granted, an urban/suburban area) that's what I believe. People make fun of the phrase "Heritage Not Hate" but I honestly do believe there are a lot of good-natured people who show off the symbol and they're just too stubborn to conform to "the evil progressive left" or whatever they might want to call them.
- Political correctness has gotten out of hand in this country IMO. Everyone is offended by everything. The term Washington Redskins? I don't care. I'll call them the Redskins until their name is changed if it ever is. Boycotting Chick Fil-A because they oppose gay rights (random I know)? I don't care. I'm for gay rights but I also like their food so I'll eat there if I want to eat there.

Anyway, as you can see I can sway towards both sides of stuff. Reading this, would you consider me, or someone who sees things like me a Republican? Democrat? Conservative? Liberal? A random hodgepodge of views?

I think you are a mix - like most people. I highlighted the immigration piece because you, like most people, have made unsubstantiated claims, and stated a piece of opinion devoid of facts. Just sayin..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies