Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2015, 04:46 PM

251 posts, read 311,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
There is a way, banning guns.
Oh Oh now you've done it. Every hillbilly on this forum will be on your case for that comment.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:47 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
No … I hold the Gun Nuts responsible …

Just as I would hold responsible the wackos who KNOWINGLY provide the matches and gasoline to a KNOWN arsonist whose activities result in innocent deaths ...

Define "gun nut" and then tell us about your interests.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:48 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Some people just want to watch the world burn...

Old 10-09-2015, 04:49 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
There is a way, banning guns.
Okay, let's say I have a gun and want to keep it. Now what? Will you eventually need to send men with guns to break down my door and tear my house apart to find any hidden guns, and steal them from me against my will? Now multiply that by several million...

Old 10-09-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
How about until we start controlling access to guns and ammo more effectively … ???

How about you moving to a state or country meeting your demands on society cause you got no traction here.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
The guys who relentlessly oppose and derail attempts to legislate and enforce significant meaningful gun control laws and regulations ...

You mean people like Obama? People with no regard for the Constitution? Are you getting into that lifeboat?

Old 10-09-2015, 04:56 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Old 10-09-2015, 04:57 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
As we've had multiple campus shootings in in one week, the problem obviously is is that there are just too many of those good guys with guns.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
A good start:

(1) Mandatory mental health status exam when would-be gun owner applies to buy …

(2) Mandatory ninety day waiting period before transfer of ownership is made …

(3) Another mandatory mental health status exam at time of transfer …

(4) NO private unregulated transfer of gun possession, including within a family …

(5) NO gun ownership/possession without significant safety training

(6) ALL guns kept in a gun safe, unloaded and trigger locked; ammo stored separately under lock and key …

(7) NO private ownership of guns with larger than maximum five to six round capacity magazine

I am not "anti-gun," BTW …
I am a gun owner; former hunter; former NRA member …
Member of a law enforcement family …

(In addition, REQUIRE that The CDC collect, track and report all statistics and information on gun violence in The USA … As of today, the Gun Nut lobby still has Congress FORBIDDING The CDC collecting such data … Why is that … ???)
The gun grabbing idiot talk gets out of control. There are gun nuts and just plain nuts. Where do you stand?

Old 10-09-2015, 05:06 PM

402 posts, read 369,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I think there's been agreement that universiality is a key. Jurisdictions can't ban what another has allowed. Hand in hand with that, I think there needs to be a consensus on a minimum to overcome the resistance in places like NYC.
I'm not sure how I feel about that. As a California resident, I would heartily welcome mandated federal gun control, because it is guaranteed to be less restrictive than what we have now. On the other hand, the needs and wants of people in say Billings, Montana are very different from Los Angeles.

I do believe that gun regulations should not be any more granular than the state level. Going beyond that, there would be supreme confusion as to what behavior is legal in one part of town versus another, where the boundaries are, what the requirements are, etc, and the consequences for messing up are extremely high. Innocent people already get caught up in byzantine gun laws when they innocuously cross state lines, we don't need to exponentially compound that problem by taking it to the local level as well.

Maybe the answer is to have a minimum framework of laws that are enforced nationwide and leave the rest up to the states. Things that should go in that minimum framework are purchase restrictions, background checks, carry permits, taxes, and probably a few other things I'm forgetting, but not TOO much. There should also be protections included against silly anti-gun overreach, such as the FOPA of 1986, which severely curtailed the BATF's aggressive harassment of gun owners and gun dealers.

Oh, that reminds me. Hey anti-gun folks, were you aware that gun owners provide significant funding wildlife conservation and habitat restoration programs? Yep, the Pittman-Robertson Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act levies an 11% federal excise tax on all guns, archery equipment, and ammunition, with the proceeds given as grants to state wildlife conservation programs. As of 2012, the program had distributed a total of $7.2 billion in grants to support specific conservation projects across the 50 states. I support things like this being dictated at the federal level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies