Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 04:36 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
With our country going down the tube to those who voted for our lackluster-performance Obama twice, I wonder what can be legally done, as we the people, to stop the current government from taking our country away. I want some better ideas. It's not all about electing the right people though.

* Does the US congress have the right to a vote of dismissal of the sitting president?

* Do we have the right to convene to redress our grievances?

More ideas please.

The 2nd Amendment, used in its fullest extent, upon targeted individuals that wish to fundamentally change this nation away from the US Constitution.

What other nation on earth, has let it's population be armed? Armed with the same weapons as the military itself?

Oh wait, the Civil War was all the proof needed, for the federal government to fear the 2nd amendment as it was intended. So, they changed it..

No... You cannot be armed... Who said?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 05:55 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Would this include the stockholders of corporations that receive subsidies and special tax cuts from the government?
Your comparison is so much hogwash; those businesses also provide jobs and pay a variety of taxes, and they rightfully have no voting rights. But the grounds for disfranchisement cited are the result of individual, and voluntary acts of irresponsibility, and can be rescinded when proof of responsible conduct is documented.

Tocqueville suggested nearly two centuries ago that democracy in America would endure only so long as the masses were restrained from looting the public treasury. By reasoned, slow, and careful expansion of the franchise we have, to date, successfully avoided that pitfall. But the actions of the present occupant of the White House and his groupies and sycophants have moved us back toward that threat.

The Founding Fathers intended democracy to be limited to those who have demonstrated a knowledge of what they have to lose, rather than what they hope to loot.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:33 PM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptical View Post
You should be more concerned with stopping Wall Street and Big Money. They are really the ones responsible for the country's slide.

Skeptical

Morals (lack thereof) and money are our Destroyers.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:55 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
With our country going down the tube to those who voted for our lackluster-performance Obama twice, I wonder what can be legally done, as we the people, to stop the current government from taking our country away. I want some better ideas. It's not all about electing the right people though.

* Does the US congress have the right to a vote of dismissal of the sitting president?

More ideas please.
There is actually some legislation that addresses your concerns.

The REINS Act. It's little known, has zero chance of passing with the Democrats, but if the Republicans can get enough seats and the POTUS, it'll get passed and solve a lot of problems.

REINS: Regulations From the Executive in Need of Scrutiny
Bill #: HR 427 of 2015
Provisions: "would require any executive branch rule or regulation with an annual economic impact of $100 million or more — designated by the White House's Office of Management and Budget (OMB) as a 'major rule' — to come before Congress for an up-or-down vote before being enacted."

That means there will be no more legislation disguised as EPA rules or OSHA rules, and no more IRS tampering and no more expensive legislation of any sort passed without going through our representatives.
I think "Operation Screeching Halt" might be a good name for it.

There is a companion bill in the senate. I have contacted my Representative and they have assured me that they are on board and I encourage everyone to do the same. We may get a chance to get the REINS Act through in the next few years. And if we do it will be a gift from Obama, who has done so much to abuse his power.
Maybe all his abuse will have a good result, in the end.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:07 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
There is actually some legislation that addresses your concerns.
The REINS Act. It's little known, has zero chance of passing with the Democrats, but if the Republicans can get enough seats and the POTUS, it'll get passed and solve a lot of problems.
The REINS act will never pass and it doesn't matter because it is most likely unconstitutional:

"the REINS Act, would not only allow but require congressional meddling in the implementation of all public health and safety rules. A single member of Congress, at the behest of some powerful special interest or campaign contributor, could block the public database, block science-based lead standards for children’s products, block crib safety rules or any number of protections that provide a safer consumer marketplace." Ed Mierzwinski

Believe it or not, there are plenty of parents, conservative and liberal out there who are glad that someone is checking to make sure junior doesn't get his hands cut off in his high chair, or his head stuck in his crib.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:31 PM

7 posts, read 4,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post

The Founding Fathers intended democracy to be limited to those who have demonstrated a knowledge of what they have to lose, rather than what they hope to loot.
You're right. They'd not in a million years birth a nation from this mess of persons. However, it's also their own fault. They didn't like the King. Thought man was now wise enough to rule himself. Whooops. Turns out maybe the old greek dude was right about caves.

Conservatives have moved into their bunkers- to hell with the world because I am not my brothers keeper. liberals dawn tattoos and take no responsibilities but to themselves. Me, and me and me and my friend me, are my own sphere of reality. Tolerate me, or else in the name of tolerance you be damned.

Both are unfit to rule, and therefore money or something else will fill the void.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:39 PM

7 posts, read 4,215 times
Quote:

More ideas please.

It's like a large company. One which is sinking. The lucky/smart competent people bolt first, the dumb ones stay, the evil ones plot, and maybe one or two will be called to be a hero and save the enterprise, or they can't, then the system dissolves. It may take a long time and be horrendous in it's death. Most average people can leave though well before this occurs. Happened to UR, Rome, the Greeks, the Maya, etc..

George Lucas hit on it pretty well in those movies. Maybe we have a 100 more years of the USA and maybe we don't.

Old 10-09-2015, 11:33 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Vote. Is this a trick question?
Of what good did that do for people who hated Obama and did not vote for him both times?

Old 10-10-2015, 09:01 AM

230 posts, read 430,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Of what good did that do for people who hated Obama and did not vote for him both times?
Hated is telling, isn't. Me, I just thought he would be incompetent as a leader and federal manager, and I believe I have been proved right. Where does the hate come from?

What did you get? You got to vote, as it is your right, and your vote was counted. That's as good as it gets for anybody. It's called democracy.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:27 AM

4,582 posts, read 3,409,523 times
Move to the least expensive place you can still find a job.

Find the lowliest job you can that pays the bills

Get out of debt.

Filter your purchases with a minimalist approach

Encourage as many as you can to do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies