Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2015, 10:52 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,521,448 times

Advertisements

Sooner or later there is a huge culling of the herd.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:47 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The idea of suing someone because you caught a contagious illness from them is the height of absurdity. That person caught it from someone else and so on and so forth. It's not like unvaccinated people spontaneously create measles in their bodies and are constantly in a state of contagiousness.
Its not nearly as absurd as you think it is. Diseases like measles are rare because of the number of people who actually do vaccinate. Temporal and spatial relationships between someone who had the measles and someone who caught it can be shown in many cases. Causation could be established up to a 95% degree of certainty. One hundred percent certainty of causation is not a requirement in the civil justice system.

I am enclosing a link to an article written by a bioethicist in a law review in 2012. This is from the Journal of Law, Medicine, and Ethics. The bioethicist, Arthur Caplan, is arguing that such lawsuits may indeed be reasonable where people refuse to have their children vaccinated in light of all the knowledge that exists. For example, measles is an extremely contagious disease and the vaccine is extremely effective in stopping it.

In short, such lawsuits may be the wave of the future. Avoiding a lawsuit maybe one more reason to get your kids vaccinated.

Free to choose but liable for the consequences: should non-vaccinators be penalized for the harm they do | Arthur Caplan - Academia.edu

Old 10-14-2015, 11:53 AM

17,587 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
So, you're advocating SPREADING a disease in order to PREVENT it. You still don't see the tiniest of issues there? Really? Not even a little bit?
Some people will never get it.

I do not want my grand kids to get sick because some stupid parents refuse to get their kids immunized.

I wonder how many anti-vax proponent's kids get sick? How many deaths do we need before these idiots wake up?

Old 10-14-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaSonner View Post
I don't completely trust vaccines manufacturers or even doctors. I believe that if they desperately want people immunized they need to do two things:

1) Take on full responsibility for the effects and consequences that may arise from the use of their product. Parents can not possibly be expected to be as knowledgeable and schooled on all medical aspects of vaccinations, and so should not be forced to sign papers relieving the doctors and manufacturers of wrongdoing. If a person is "too stupid" to understand vaccines, they're also "too stupid" to be legally responsible for their negative outcomes. If anti vaxxers are that idiotic, they can not sign a paper taking on legal responsibility. By calling them stupid, you guarantee they can not authorize vaccinations. Logic.

2) Have mandatory titre checks on ALL people in the United States to see if their immunity is still in effect. Vaccination does not automatically equal immunization (even the manufacturers are smart enough to tell you that), and no one has a leg to stand on without being absolutely sure they actually are immunized. Anyone whose immunity is low or has worn off must get booster series.

No one should really be pro vaccine if they have not ever had their titres checked. They could be pointing fingers of blame while walking around completely susceptible themselves.

I don't think these are unreasonable things when the lives of every person on the planet is apparently at stake.
OMG, even I don't have an an answer to this line of crap

I have to turn my computer off before the smell fills my house.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
No, because there are MILLIONS of us alive today (born before that vax came out), who did not have reactions from all these chemicals you put in these vaccines, from the natural disease itself. We are your parents and grandparents walking all around you today, in addition to all those who caught measles at Disney. Maybe NOW these people will have learned their lession and get their MMR boosters?

I suppose that you do no like that we have lifetime immunity without the vaccination? Cheating????? lol Maybe you don't believe it and think we too are "unvaccinated" and spreading measles too?

Do you believe in Natural Acquired Immunity at all?
That's because you caught the disease and were lucky to have lived or not gone blind from measles.

Maybe your mother took you to a chicken pox party so you would catch the disease. Oh no, then you might get shingles unless you got vaccinated against that miserable painful disease.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:03 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Its not nearly as absurd as you think it is. Diseases like measles are rare because of the number of people who actually do vaccinate. Temporal and spatial relationships between someone who had the measles and someone who caught it can be shown in many cases. Causation could be established up to a 95% degree of certainty. One hundred percent certainty of causation is not a requirement in the civil justice system.

I am enclosing a link to an article written by a bioethicist in a law review in 2012. This is from the Journal of Law, Medicine, and Ethics. The bioethicist, Arthur Caplan, is arguing that such lawsuits may indeed be reasonable where people refuse to have their children vaccinated in light of all the knowledge that exists. For example, measles is an extremely contagious disease and the vaccine is extremely effective in stopping it.

In short, such lawsuits may be the wave of the future. Avoiding a lawsuit maybe one more reason to get your kids vaccinated.

Free to choose but liable for the consequences: should non-vaccinators be penalized for the harm they do | Arthur Caplan - Academia.edu
Complications from measles, including deaths should be your one and only concern, not measles itself, which most people get through just fine. Considering the fact that you and your family members are vaccinated (presumably) your risk of contracting measles is already very low which reduces your already extremely small chances of suffering serious complications even more. Why are you all so worried? Don't you understand that you can't control everyone? I guess I just have never understood or liked people who are overly controlling. Maybe that is why I'm having a hard time understanding what is up with people who constantly push for every single person to get vaccinated, or else. Do what you can to protect yourself. Focus your efforts on education. But beyond that, leave people alone to choose.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Call me a conspiracy theorist, but given all the fanaticism today, there will come a time where blood titers or mandatory vaccines are required for every American citizen. Hopefully, I will not live long enough to see that because I will not comply with either. If I were young today, I would never bring children into your world.
Such a sick sick sick comment.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:09 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
That's because you caught the disease and were lucky to have lived or not gone blind from measles.

Maybe your mother took you to a chicken pox party so you would catch the disease. Oh no, then you might get shingles unless you got vaccinated against that miserable painful disease.
Maybe you should read up on Vitamin A's role in measles complications including blindness, death, etc. Vitamin A supplementation in mega-doses has been shown to dramatically reduce complications such as these. Relax. There is no need to live in such a state of fear.

Back in the day before chicken pox vaccine, many, if not most parents intentionally exposed their children to chicken pox so that they would get this illness in childhood rather then as adults when it is more risky. People who have had chicken pox and people who have had the chicken pox vaccine are both at risk for getting shingles later in life.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:30 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,530,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

Great! Then I can sue the hospital for any infection I get while there. Then I can sue the school for letting a kid with a cough give it to my kid. Then I can sue the vaccine manufacturer since my vaccinated child came down with it despite being vaccinated (oh wait...). Then I can sue the vaccinated child's parents for giving my unvaccinated kid disease by shedding. Then I can sue smokers when I come down with lung cancer.....

It'll never happen.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:45 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Great! Then I can sue the hospital for any infection I get while there. Then I can sue the school for letting a kid with a cough give it to my kid. Then I can sue the vaccine manufacturer since my vaccinated child came down with it despite being vaccinated (oh wait...). Then I can sue the vaccinated child's parents for giving my unvaccinated kid disease by shedding. Then I can sue smokers when I come down with lung cancer.....

It'll never happen.
1. If you could show that you acquired something like a MRSA infection in the hospital and that that the hospital's staff was careless in preventing the spread of infection, you'd have a basis for recovering damages from them. Such suits do occur. The trick is proving that something careless occurred and the hospital is indeed responsible.

2. If a disease cannot be vaccinated against (common cold) and there is no vaccine requirement than there would not be a basis for imposing liability on someone who spread the disease.

3. Claims against vaccine manufacturers fall under the VCF by virtue of federal law.

4. Lawsuits against smokers for spreading lung cancer and respiratory disease have generally been unsuccessful. Lawsuits against tobacco companies by non-smokers may well be successful. Its why we had the tobacco litigation and class action settlement.

It really boils down to problems of proof of causation in most of these cases. The article I cited suggests causation may be provable in some situations. The question becomes: Why shouldn't a person who knowingly ignores the vaccine mandate by choosing not immunize, not be responsible for spreading disease to another when it can be proven he did spread the disease?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies