Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 06:25 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,332,315 times

Advertisements

we never blame the knife when there is a stabbing or even mass stabbing? ... why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 06:27 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,981,959 times
No - let's ban nuclear weapons from Government and fro the planet. Then we won't have the problem of private ownership.

I just changed my stance. Let's ban guns, planet wide.

Start with the arab countries, No. Korea, Pakistan and the other stans, followed by Russia, China and Africa and south america.

Then the US and Europe can disarm - starting with the military and criminals.

Then, and only then I will hand in (some) of my guns. I'll keep a few, for awhile, just in case.

But YOU show me that I don't NEED a gun, and that I have nothing to fear from criminals, thugs, government, Muslim terrorists, etc., and then, MAYBE I'll consider disarming, in time, when I, as a reasonable person feel it is reasonable and safe.

Until then please go jump in the lake.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:30 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,105,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
No - let's ban nuclear weapons from Government and fro the planet. Then we won't have the problem of private ownership.

I just changed my stance. Let's ban guns, planet wide.

Start with the arab countries, No. Korea, Pakistan and the other stans, followed by Russia, China and Africa and south america.

Then the US and Europe can disarm - starting with the military and criminals.

Then, and only then I will hand in (some) of my guns. I'll keep a few, for awhile, just in case.

But YOU show me that I don't NEED a gun, and that I have nothing to fear from criminals, thugs, government, Muslim terrorists, etc., and then, MAYBE I'll consider disarming, in time, when I, as a reasonable person feel it is reasonable and safe.

Until then please go jump in the lake.
If you have a gun, I should have a bazooka.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:35 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,991,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
we never blame the knife when there is a stabbing or even mass stabbing? ... why?
Sadly the United Kingdom is ahead of us on that. Let's that hope common sense prevails and that, in taking the lead, they're able to regulate so that we can follow with our own laws:

_"Doctors' kitchen knives ban call"_
BBC NEWS | Health | Doctors' kitchen knives ban call

"Violent Britain: Vast haul of weapons renews calls for tighter controls 9 Kitchen knife in family tragedy"
Police knife amnesty nets 40,000 weapons | News | The Independent

It really is a public health problem and our own CDC needs to become involved.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:37 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,309,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
Because stabbings don't typically result in multiple-death the way gun violence so often does. And the number of persons killed by knives is negligible compared to gun deaths: 66% of all murders were the result of guns, while only 13% involved knives/stabbing weapons.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:40 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,983,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Not just a gun but they blame the 100,000,000 gun owners that had nothing to do with it or any other crime.
I think you're getting carried away with the actual number of gun owners in the US. There was recently an article in NEWSWEEK magazine that stated gun ownership is declining in the US. The article - citing official sources like the GSS - did say that there was a gun in 32% of American households and if every "household" was just one single person then your claim of 100 Million gun owners would be correct. However most "households" are two or more people and only between a quarter and a third of households are single people.

Your point is well taken, however. Law abiding and responsible gun owners should not be blamed for the criminal behavior of a minority involved in gun violence, shooting and crime. No one is blaming all gun owners.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
OK, let's stop issuing driver's licenses, and selling cars, because they may be in an accident or drive drunk.
I don't know about you, but before obtaining a driver's license I had to take driver's safety test and physically demonstrate I knew how to operate a motor vehicle at an official state agency - the Department of Motor Vehicles. I had to pass tests in order to get a license. I am required to carry insurance. My motor vehicle has to undergo an annual inspection. Do they require that at gun shops and gun shows?

Old 10-11-2015, 07:00 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,439,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I don't know about you, but before obtaining a driver's license I had to take driver's safety test and physically demonstrate I knew how to operate a motor vehicle at an official state agency - the Department of Motor Vehicles. I had to pass tests in order to get a license. I am required to carry insurance. My motor vehicle has to undergo an annual inspection. Do they require that at gun shops and gun shows?

And yet 20,000 people still die at the hand of drunk drivers...

Old 10-11-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
And yet 20,000 people still die at the hand of drunk drivers...
There are 254,000,000 operating motor vehicles in the US.

According to various sources I just accessed the number of drunk driving deaths was 10,000 not 20,000.

Perhaps the number of deaths by drunk drivers would be greater if there were no testing, licensing or training of drivers of motor vehicles?

Old 10-11-2015, 07:10 PM

17,681 posts, read 13,485,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post

Yes, you should have a right to own a gun for personal and family protection, and to hunt. That's it. Automatic weapons with armor-piercing ammo aren't used for those purposes. .
See, you and I can agree on something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies