Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 11:47 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
One of the most brilliant acts of our founding fathers was to craft the Constitution in such a way as to make it malleable enough to survive what they foresaw as changing times. I have little doubt that some of the ambiguous wording was deliberate in order to allow flexibility. And if that flexibility was insufficient, amendments were an option.

So, in answer to your question, the Constitution is not only applicable, it's the framework of our system of government and has been since the beginning.

Those who continually grumble about unconstitutional actions are 99 times out of 100 just grousing about some minor political defeat their side has just managed to pull off and resort to silly hyperbole to try to denigrate the other side's victory.

It almost always evens out over the long run.

Well said ! My feelings exactly !

I cannot even imagine the mess we'd be in if we attempted to write a brand new Constitution at this point in time. It would be a CF of epic proportions I'm sure.

While our founding fathers were far from perfect, I'm quite sure that there was more reasoned thought and rational ideas discussed than there ever would be today. Today, if one group or another thought it possible, they would promote there be a line in the constitution that their neighbor needed to give them $500 bucks a month because, well, just because we think that's a good idea. It's all about me !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 11:51 AM

45,221 posts, read 26,427,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
Well said ! My feelings exactly !

I cannot even imagine the mess we'd be in if we attempted to write a brand new Constitution at this point in time. It would be a CF of epic proportions I'm sure.

While our founding fathers were far from perfect, I'm quite sure that there was more reasoned thought and rational ideas discussed than there ever would be today. Today, if one group or another thought it possible, they would promote there be a line in the constitution that their neighbor needed to give them $500 bucks a month because, well, just because we think that's a good idea. It's all about me !
No need to rewrite it because it's only paid lip service ...if that.

And as to one neighbor being forced to pay another neighbor $500 bucks a month, there are already plenty of variations of that theme going on right now and no amendment was ever needed.
Time to wake up.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:31 PM

19,021 posts, read 14,198,297 times
THE CONSTITUTION IS NOT IMPORTANT
The republican form of government IS.
. . .
" Personal liberty, or the Right to enjoyment of life and liberty, is one of the fundamental or natural Rights, which has been protected by its inclusion as a guarantee in the various constitutions, which is not derived from, or dependent on, the U.S. Constitution, which may not be submitted to a vote and may not depend on the outcome of an election. It is one of the most sacred and valuable Rights, as sacred as the Right to private property...and is regarded as inalienable."
- - - 16 Corpus Juris Secundum, Constitutional Law, Sect.202, p.987.
The SOURCE of those sacred endowed rights is the DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE.
That's why Americans can assert that their CREATOR endowed them with LIFE (and all harmless activities in support thereof), LIBERTY (natural and personal), SELF DEFENSE of person and property, and ABSOLUTE OWNERSHIP (of self, labor, private property, etc) and not subject to the "Will of the Majority."

"What I do say is that no man is good enough to govern another man without that other's consent. I say this is the leading principle, the sheet-anchor of American republicanism. Our Declaration of Independence says: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: That all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed."
- - - Abraham Lincoln, Speech at Peoria, Illinois (1854)
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Abraham_lincoln

As Lincoln reminds us, under the republican form, promised by the USCON, instituted by the Declaration of Independence, NO MAN (nor American government) is good enough to govern you without your consent. Without your consent, all that government is authorized to do is secure rights (prosecute trespass; adjudicate disputes; defend against enemies, foreign or domestic).

If you consent otherwise... then all bets are off.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:09 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,234,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerandsad View Post
First and Second Amendment should be repealed; let the majority decide through real democracy.
So you want to eliminate the protection of free speech, the right to bear arms, and then institute mob rule?

If you don't value your own liberty that's your business. But stay out of mine.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:16 PM

35,688 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
They're not. Once elected, regardless of any promises they do whatever they please

No they do as they are told--- bought and paid for -before we voted

Old 10-22-2015, 01:20 PM

35,688 posts, read 21,045,148 times
i think they need to have civic class again in schools- people do NOT know this stuff- and when they ask people in the street questions like who is the pope or who is Biden they have NO idea-- none! maybe that's why they fall behind some idea or person without a clue of what is really going on.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:30 PM

20,715 posts, read 19,357,373 times
Don't tempt me.

Article. I. Section. 1.
All legislative Powers herein granted shall be vested in a Congress of the United States, which shall consist of a Senate and House of Representatives.

Removing the only only thing that makes Congress legitimate brings inappropriate urges.

Old 10-22-2015, 03:00 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,415,918 times
Quote:
First and Second Amendment should be repealed; let the majority decide through real democracy.

Hope the mods delete your posts. Free speech is so overrated.

Old 10-22-2015, 03:27 PM

18,464 posts, read 15,244,932 times
Quote:
You have been saying this same nonsense for years under a variety of different screen names...

Under this screen name...

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...abolished.html

And how about under this one...

//www.city-data.com/forum/athei...not-exist.html

There are others too, but I don't feel like searching right now.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 10-22-2015 at 03:52 PM..

Old 10-22-2015, 03:31 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,892,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So you're saying our Constitution is a "dead document".
No, but it is fixed and known.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies