Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2015, 05:40 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,432,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
This should tell everyone what they need to know about Angela Merkel.
What people need to understand is that national pride is rejected by the very concept of a European Union.

Liberals in this country want the same thing -- the anti-American UN running the show instead of the American people determining their own future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Lol...people that couldn't identify a schnitzel all of a sudden know better about Germany than Angela Merkel.
So only Merkel apologists and other liberals have ever been to Germany or spent time in Europe.

Check.

The usual liberal condescension and unwarranted assumptions on full display in this thread....

Last edited by dechatelet; 11-02-2015 at 05:50 AM..

Old 11-02-2015, 06:49 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00
You don't know much about Judaism, do you?

You can be an atheist and still a Jew so long as your mother was Jewish. The end.

You just contradicted yourself.

If you're atheist you don't subscribe to any of the nonsense of the religion. Including using religious law and definition to dictate who is and who is not Jewish.

I know plenty of people who are atheist "of Jewish heritage"... or agnostic "of Jewish background"... but I don't think you can logically base your identity on a religious law and then claim to be atheist. Either you're atheist, or not. "Culturally Jewish" is a better way to understand it.

Same way as I am "Culturally Christian" - celebrating the holidays and traditions with family, even if I don't actually subscribe to the "reason for the season."

Old 11-02-2015, 06:53 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,058,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Go tell that to the family of the guy who was killed.

I dare you.
Would that be the same family that spoke out and don't want extremist groups using his death to spread their filth and hate? Source here - READ IT

”We would not wish any other families to go through this harrowing experience and appeal to everyone to keep calm and show their respect in a peaceful manner.“

So yeh, I'm showing respect to their son by using the words KEEP CALM

Old 11-02-2015, 06:54 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Wrong.

Judaism is a religion.

It is not a race.

Being a Jew is not something that you are merely by virtue of your parents or your ancestry.

Neither is being a Christian or a Muslim.
That's not how Jews see ourselves, but I suppose you'd have to take it up with any Rabbi of any denomination in the world. Or the Israeli government's definition of who is Jewish for the right of return (hint: does not need to be practicing).

Old 11-02-2015, 06:55 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,058,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I have, grew up there and I agree with all of it. Where do you live?
I'm a Brit and grew up with the NF and their race war crap and now their bastard offspring the EDL are trying the same, fueled by the Daily Fail and their hype - though that seems to have stopped now they have the latest Kardashian scandal to cover

Old 11-02-2015, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkirkham View Post
Would that be the same family that spoke out and don't want extremist groups using his death to spread their filth and hate? Source here - READ IT

”We would not wish any other families to go through this harrowing experience and appeal to everyone to keep calm and show their respect in a peaceful manner.“

So yeh, I'm showing respect to their son by using the words KEEP CALM
You're not showing respect by minimizing the significance of his death.

Just read your original post.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:56 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
You just contradicted yourself.

If you're atheist you don't subscribe to any of the nonsense of the religion. Including using religious law and definition to dictate who is and who is not Jewish.

I know plenty of people who are atheist "of Jewish heritage"... or agnostic "of Jewish background"... but I don't think you can logically base your identity on a religious law and then claim to be atheist. Either you're atheist, or not. "Culturally Jewish" is a better way to understand it.

Same way as I am "Culturally Christian" - celebrating the holidays and traditions with family, even if I don't actually subscribe to the "reason for the season."
Christianity is not Judaism. You cannot compare the two. If your mother is Jewish, you are Jewish. Full stop. The end. That's it. You don't have to ever set foot in a synagogue for that to be true. Christianity has no such equivalent so that worldview has no place in this conversation. You are talking about Judaism and what it means to be Jewish from a Christian lens.

Judaism is a tribal religion. My children will be Jewish even if I never breathe a word to them about Judaism simply by the nature of birthright. That is also backed up by religious law.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:59 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
You can make up your religion as you please, but people who do that are NOT Christians, Jews or Muslims.

Each religion has certain basic tenets that you either believe in and live your life by or not.

According to what you say, you do not, so all you have is "(your name)'s religion."

If you want to muddy the waters, go for it.

But don't expect me to say that the result isn't muddy water.
Here's a lot of muddy water for you.

Did you know (from the web site of the link I'm about to give) there are over 1,000 [ad lib] different Christian beliefs and every one of them believe they are the only ones going to Heaven?

The Christian religion
We use the following definition:

"We accept as Christian any individual or group who devoutly, sincerely, thoughtfully, seriously, and prayerfully regards themselves to be Christian. That is, they honestly believe that they follow Yeshua of Nazareth's (a.k.a. Jesus Christ's) teachings as they interpret them to be."

btw: I don't define me, other people do. Just as you have done. Not everyone fits into the 'box' and it is a pity that more people can not realize and understand, that people are human beings, long before they are of God and or of Country. Humanity might stand a chance and possibly there would be less killing, and condemnation if they did.

To condemn all Muslims because of a civil war, is a really bad idea. Thankfully there are the good people of Germany, that know this and have acted accordingly.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
That's not how Jews see ourselves, but I suppose you'd have to take it up with any Rabbi of any denomination in the world. Or the Israeli government's definition of who is Jewish for the right of return (hint: does not need to be practicing).
I don't need to do any of that.

All I need to know is that Judaism is a religion.

You cannot be a Jew and be non-religious.

It is a contradiction in terms.

You can call yourself whatever you want. That doesn't mean you are that thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies