Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 03:32 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,973,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I understand it pretty well, thanks.

But I also understand the ethics of working for an employer, which prevents me from acting as a spokesperson unless I am authorized to do so.
We're not talking about being a spokesman ... we're talking about being a whistleblower

Old 10-25-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I see that the tinfoil paranoid alarmists are out in force today.
If you read the links you would know it's the employees of the National Weather Service and NOAA who are complaining and taking actions against the government illegal gag orders. Do you think the employees are conspiracy theorists?

Old 10-25-2015, 03:37 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times
Hi

I am a current NWS employee.... and this gag order and info was discussed on the NWSEO union home page. I am not a union member, but a union does exist if someone wants to join. Most forecasters are not members.

Anyhow....

That said....here is the info on what the gag order:

National Weather Service Employees Organization

The complaint cites three gag orders issued in recent weeks by the National Weather Service and its parent agencies, the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration and the Department of Commerce. These orders forbid disclosure of information arising out of:

Organizational planning. This confidentiality order forbids disclosure of anything about the Weather Service Organization Workforce Analysis, which has the effect of muzzling any revelations about agency planning and the rationale for planned actions;
Grievance settlements. In July, the Commerce General Counsel instituted a policy that any settlement of grievances must include a nondisclosure clause. While it has an exception for “whistleblower cases” that exception comes nowhere close to meeting requirements of the WPEA and would block release of grievances involving actions by agency managers which constitute violations of law or regulation, waste of funds, mismanagement or abuse of authority; and
Collective Bargaining. The National Weather Service has just added a confidentiality clause to its ground rules for Collective Bargaining Agreement negotiations which requires that all information about the CBA bargaining process must be held “confidential.”

The issue came up as several union members are on teams with NWS HQ personnel and they were told they couldnt talk about what was going on in terms of employee grievances, the re-organized HQ plane, and general collective bargaining issues between the employees and HQ.

It has nothing to do with preventing anyone from talking about any weather related issues or the like.

--Dan

Old 10-25-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamsack View Post
Hi

I am a current NWS employee.... and this gag order and info was discussed on the NWSEO union home page. I am not a union member, but a union does exist if someone wants to join. Most forecasters are not members.

Anyhow....

That said....here is the info on what the gag order:

National Weather Service Employees Organization

The complaint cites three gag orders issued in recent weeks by the National Weather Service and its parent agencies, the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration and the Department of Commerce. These orders forbid disclosure of information arising out of:

Organizational planning. This confidentiality order forbids disclosure of anything about the Weather Service Organization Workforce Analysis, which has the effect of muzzling any revelations about agency planning and the rationale for planned actions;
Grievance settlements. In July, the Commerce General Counsel instituted a policy that any settlement of grievances must include a nondisclosure clause. While it has an exception for “whistleblower cases” that exception comes nowhere close to meeting requirements of the WPEA and would block release of grievances involving actions by agency managers which constitute violations of law or regulation, waste of funds, mismanagement or abuse of authority; and
Collective Bargaining. The National Weather Service has just added a confidentiality clause to its ground rules for Collective Bargaining Agreement negotiations which requires that all information about the CBA bargaining process must be held “confidential.”

The issue came up as several union members are on teams with NWS HQ personnel and they were told they couldnt talk about what was going on in terms of employee grievances, the re-organized HQ plane, and general collective bargaining issues between the employees and HQ.

It has nothing to do with preventing anyone from talking about any weather related issues or the like.

--Dan
Your own post states: "While it has an exception for “whistleblower cases” that exception comes nowhere close to meeting requirements of the WPEA and would block release of grievances involving actions by agency managers which constitute violations of law or regulation, waste of funds, mismanagement or abuse of authority; and Collective Bargaining."

Old 10-25-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Your own post states: "While it has an exception for “whistleblower cases” that exception comes nowhere close to meeting requirements of the WPEA and would block release of grievances involving actions by agency managers which constitute violations of law or regulation, waste of funds, mismanagement or abuse of authority; and Collective Bargaining."
yes....

and luckily as a forecaster that has nothing to do with the weather and my job.

Old 10-25-2015, 03:49 PM

I am at a field office..... and we do the local area forecasts, aviation forecasts, climate, fire weather and such and coordinate weather with Emergency Managers and the such. Fortunately I dont have to deal with the higher up and any discipline issues or such. I am a lead forecaster while I am on shift....responsible for products and forecasts that go out from our office.

Old 10-25-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamsack View Post
yes....

and luckily as a forecaster that has nothing to do with the weather and my job.
You must be special then because that's not what the real employees are saying ...

Old 10-25-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
You must be special then because that's not what the real employees are saying ...
You also dont know my job ... I think I am a tad more knowledgeable of my position and what we do than you.

As a local office, we talk to our local media...TV and newspaper mainly...who call up or visit to discuss an upcoming storm, cold or heat wave, etc. Pretty minor stuff..... Last year I did get the honor of being on CTV News Toronto about the infamous Polar Vortex... which of course is always present.

But if it makes you feel better to know my job better than me then go right ahead. No skin off my back. I have 25 years in the NWS....joined NWS in 1990 and have been a senior meteorologist since 1998 and have worked in 5 different offices nationwide.

As what was presented....this gag stuff was something the union felt was imposed during the negotiations they have with HQ in Washington in regards to policies they deal with at the higher levels. Nothing to do with local office policies.

Old 10-25-2015, 03:56 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times
Well of course there's a gag order. We wouldn't want anyone to figger out that we can't predict the weather more than a few hours ahead. That's why we hedge our bets. 40% chance of rain, so if it doesn't rain there's an excuse, or if it does.

Old 10-25-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Well of course there's a gag order. We wouldn't want anyone to figger out that we can't predict the weather more than a few hours ahead. That's why we hedge our bets. 40% chance of rain, so if it doesn't rain there's an excuse, or if it does.
probablistic forecasting is there as you are correct there are many variable in weather prediction....esp beyond the 12 hour period. And esp true in convection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies