Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 09:05 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,304,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Please tell me you're not an economy major.
I am not. Economy majors are in Wall Street “forecasting” when the next downturn is. Oh, what was wrong with what I said? The fact that you had to resort to a non sequitur means you had nothing to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 06:31 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,969,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I am not. Economy majors are in Wall Street “forecasting” when the next downturn is. Oh, what was wrong with what I said? The fact that you had to resort to a non sequitur means you had nothing to say.
Actually, Dane_in_LA was responding to your drivel that made no sense at all. According to you, Trump should get credit for Ford's decision that was made in 2011 because Trump said at a 2015 debate that if he was President he would force Ford to move the plant. Trump is like the rooster taking credit for the sun rising. I think that the 1996 Olympics should be in Atlanta. Can I take credit for that decision?

Moreover, you espoused some drivel about if trade between the two countries stops, it would be the exporting country that is hurt. Trade is mutually beneficial to the exporter and the importer. That's why the relationship is voluntary. The exporter gains cash and the importer gains that amount of value in goods. The balance sheet is equal.

If trade is cut off, the importer would indeed have money but they wouldn't have the goods they wanted to buy either.

As I said, Dane_in_LA was remarking that your posts made no sense at all -- and was correct.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post

If trade is cut off, the importer would indeed have money but they wouldn't have the goods they wanted to buy either.
Did you WX your Econ 101?

Old 10-28-2015, 07:23 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,917,545 times
Quote:
I'm concerned that you never took Econ 101 at all.

If we cut off trade to Mexico, the companies that sell to Mexico would lose a significant market. A market that other countries would be rushing to fill. Any business person knows how hard it is to get a foothold in a market, how much losing a customer costs a company. What it boils down to is that you are advocating cutting off your nose to spite your face. It's not a good thing.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:23 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,969,783 times
Quote:
WX?
I got an "A" in ECON 101.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:30 AM

63,014 posts, read 29,216,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
If he hasn't said anything about Canada, might that not indeed lend credence to the charge that he has some sort of bias against Mexico?

Why hasn't he said anything about Canada?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Do we have millions of Canadians here illegally? Has Canada encouraged their citizens to come here illegally?

Old 10-28-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Wishful thinking.

Cars for the U.S. market have been built in Mexico for years.

Which Cars Are Made In Mexico? » AutoGuide.com News

They've also been, and are being, built in Canada.

10 cars made only in Canada | TheAutonet.com

I suppose I may have missed it, but, has Trump said anything about Canada "stealing" our jobs?
Trump was speaking of illegal aliens when he said Mexicans are stealing our jobs.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I was responding to post# 66, below:

Of which I replied:
Try to keep up.
You might try to keep up. My post #74 quoted you and therefore prompted an ample/comparative response.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:59 AM

47,008 posts, read 26,056,438 times
Quote:
Oh yeah? Who loses if trade between the two countries stops? They will. To the tune of $50B a year. Actually, I would be itching to stop it. Without lifting a finger,we’ll have $50B in our bank account by the end of the year. But don’t worry, they can’t afford to lose that much money. Oh, and they will pay for the wall too.
Quote:
Oh, what was wrong with what I said? The fact that you had to resort to a non sequitur means you had nothing to say.
It wasn't a non sequitur, it was mockery.

Because that is not how international trade works. If US-Mexico trade stops, perish the thought, it will not be to the advantage of either party - and the idea that reducing trade deficits means we end up with "more money in our bank account" is one of those attempts at applying household economy terms to national economy. Whose bank account, exactly, are you talking about?

Incidentally, as a percentage of the total US-to-Mexico trade, the deficit is in fact at a very low rate. Oh, and Mexico is not paying for anyone's wall. Seriously.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I'm concerned that you never took Econ 101 at all.

If we cut off trade to Mexico, the companies that sell to Mexico would lose a significant market. A market that other countries would be rushing to fill. Any business person knows how hard it is to get a foothold in a market, how much losing a customer costs a company. What it boils down to is that you are advocating cutting off your nose to spite your face. It's not a good thing.
Nobody said cut off trade with Mexico. My point and Trump’s point is when you are in negotiation with a partner with whom they are getting $50 billion dollars more than you do out of trade who has the leverage? Who is more afraid of the loss? Where is the evidence we have used this leverage ever? You are exactly the kind of patsies that Trump is talking about if you were negotiating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies