Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 12:37 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times

Advertisements

Weather the public knows that a person is taking opioids for pain is irrelevant. If I needed them I would take them no matter what anyone else thought. The OP is correct. If a person needs pain medications they should have it available even if they get addicted. After all most of us are addicted to eating so we should stop eating because it is addictive.

I think this fear of addiction is an emotional remnant of the Puritanical opposition to pleasure combined with the Catholic assumption of perpetual guilt. Neither have any use except to allow the village elders or the priests to control the flock. The question is not weather a person is addicted to a particular drug but how well they handle the addiction. There are millions of people addicted to the drink of alcohol after dinner but they are not progressive alcoholics.

If people need opiates for pain they should have a steady supply at an affordable price. Having their drug supply curtailed because it might be addictive is absurd. Addiction is preferable for both society and the individual than needing to buy from the black market to satisfy the addiction or the eventual suicide to escape the pain.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:40 PM

599 posts, read 401,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBTold2U View Post
Should people who suffer from chronic lifelong pain be punished because some people abuse such medications??? Many people who rely on such medications do not abuse these medications yet find it harder to be treated. Never mind the dirty looks and disrespect from not only the public but from doctors themselves. Addicts will always find a way to get high yet those who suffer daily unrelenting pain are more likely to commit suicide than go on living in pain.
Absolutely not! No one in pain should be punished because some choose to misuse narcotics. I'm nineteen and I have been going to numerous chiropractors, sports health and general doctors to find help for my Chronic neck pain and still absolutely no resolve. I was prescribed hydrocodone and doctors are very scared at giving these types of drugs out especially to someone my age even if you are in pain because they are scared of the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) taking always their license. I will run for office one day and I will push for major drug reform in this country not because I am someone who wants to do drugs recreationally but instead realize that so many have been ignored because doctors are scared of getting in trouble by doctors. The War On Drugs has to end and we need to instead initiate a War On Addiction.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:46 PM

18,801 posts, read 8,465,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Can you explain why a doctor would refuse if there was really no effective alternative? Or are there alternatives as effective as narcotics in all cases?

Not trying to bust your chops, just curious how common it is for Docs to not want to prescribe certain meds even when/if indicated?
Ignorance, selective or otherwise. Personal/professional bias. Laziness. A few off the top of my head.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:01 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,053,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
How in the world can the general public give you dirty looks and disrespect you when they would have no idea you are on medication.

Most Pharmacists are too busy to care what medication any one customer takes so the stares, dirty looks and disrespect appears to be imaginary.

A Doctor who is a Professional will not treat their patients the way you describe when they know the patient is not abusing the medication and if they do then you are with the wrong Doctor.

When I used to go and pick up my script and the Pharmacists, counter person and surrounding customers would either see or hear what I was picking up. I've had doctors blame my low dose as the cause of other health problems to the point I stopped taking them a year ago. Of course my other health problems did not go away and my neuropathic pain has just increased. Never mind the nurses who also treated me as some sort of drug seeker. That in it's self take a toll on a person.

Of course I must be imagining this treatment even though I been suffering for over twenty six years. Ask anyone who suffers from a chronic pain condition where there is no cure, it not rare it's the norm. Let me add I have had four back/neck surgeries, have stenosis of the spine in multiply areas. When my neck collapsed I was stricken with Hydrocephalus which required a shunt. The shunt has helped a little bit but I loss my hearing and suffer from tinnitus because of the shunt surgery.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:01 PM

23,539 posts, read 17,214,216 times
Quote:
If a physician is refusing pain medication to someone with a legitimate need I believe I'd contact the state licensing authority and file a complaint.
If you are in pain, I don't think the licensing authority should be your first stop.

then again obamacare limits which doctors you can see.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:08 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,383,792 times
Quote:
Can you explain why a doctor would refuse if there was really no effective alternative? Or are there alternatives as effective as narcotics in all cases?

Not trying to bust your chops, just curious how common it is for Docs to not want to prescribe certain meds even when/if indicated?
It can depend on the laws of the State the Dr is practicing in. Some require that patients on narcotics for 3 months or longer be drug tested and sign a pain contract. Not all Dr's can comply with the regulations. Also, some states require attendance at medical education seminars before a Dr can rx narcotics for more than 10 days at a time.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:09 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,053,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
many, many get hooked on pain killers, and some of the fault is the doctor's amount prescribed

be it ty3, percs, or valuim

the key is to take as little as possible

after I was injured in Iraq, I could have easily gotten hooked on that crap..but I have a high pain tollerance and dont like to take too many meds if possible

my script said 1-2 every 4 hours...I would take 1/2 every 8 hours and just deal with the pain.....
Thank you for your reply. I also have a high pain tolerance and never abuse the medication I took. There has been studies that when people are truly in pain addiction and getting high from such medications is low. I weaned myself off of 15mg Oxycodone I took for six years and had physical withdrawal symptoms but that is to be expected. I'm in pain 24/7 but I'm lucky that I have the support of my wife and kids to help me at this time. Good luck with your struggles.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:20 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,990,921 times
There are other treatments for chronic pain than opiates....pain pills should be for short-term or end of life pain management. If you have chronic pain, a pain clinic should be a must.....these pills ARE addictive and abuse DOES happen all to frequently.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:28 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
With less than 5% of the world's population, the US consumes 80% of prescription opioid pain killers. It is one of many factors that makes healthcare in the US as costly as it is. How likely is it that US people have a substantially higher prevalence of people in chronic pain than the rest of the developed world?

Accidental death from prescription drug overdose is now the leading cause of preventable death, more than car accidents.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:29 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,234,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
There are other treatments for chronic pain than opiates....pain pills should be for short-term or end of life pain management. If you have chronic pain, a pain clinic should be a must.....these pills ARE addictive and abuse DOES happen all to frequently.

Are you a DR?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies