Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 09:43 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
The fat issue is one issue the other issue is nasty body smells and I don't mean perfume as I choose any perfume over nasty body smells.
Nothing can get worse that the Paris metro, at least we are in a county that uses deodorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 09:52 AM

89,030 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
I don't get what buying an extra seat solves. if there are three seats, they'd still be spilling into someone's space on the other side.
No. You can almost always lift the armrest between seats, creating ample additional room in most cases. Only the aisle armrest can't be raised.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:59 AM

756 posts, read 424,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No. You can almost always lift the armrest between seats, creating ample additional room in most cases. Only the aisle armrest can't be raised.
Believe me, if the person is large enough (and many of them are) they are still spilling over into your lap.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:11 AM

78,431 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Charging more for weight is silly because the extra few hundred pounds isn't going to add up to a huge amount of money on a single flight and there is a great deal of extra cost and inconvenience to weigh people and then charge them more etc.

Also, many flight costs like the crew, depreciation on the plane etc. are fixed and do not vary based upon weight.

If you do the math a loaded 737 with 125 passengers weighing maybe 100,000lbs uses about 1325 gallons of fuel on a 2 hour flight. If you have a passenger that weighs 500lbs or roughly an extra 300lbs it uses approximately 4 gallons of additional fuel or <$20.

Now if they fill more than their own seat then yes they should have to buy 2 tickets or otherwise they are taking space that someone else has paid for.

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
so I guess you are fat lay off the burger and fries..
Keep digging that ditch...

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I had a very large person once who parked himself in the middle seat (I was in the window seat) after first raising the armrests on both sides. He knew he was going to be taking up part of my seat as well as part of the seat of the person on the aisle, and he did so without apology or the least bit of concern for the other two of us who had to share the row with him. He made sure he was comfortable, though.

Last edited by JAMS14; 10-28-2015 at 10:27 AM..

Old 10-28-2015, 10:26 AM

89,030 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
Believe me, if the person is large enough (and many of them are) they are still spilling over into your lap.
I'm talking about if they've purchased 2 seats to accommodate their enormous girth. I've rarely seen a person who couldn't fit into 2 side-by-side airline seats with the armrest between them lifted. In such a case, their enormous size doesn't encroach on any other seats.

That said, it's completely miserable to fly transoceanic without buying at least a business class reclining pod seat.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:45 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,683,672 times
human beings come in many sizes, some are short, tall, big and small, disabled and crazy and control freaks.

Maybe Shaq or every NBA player or person who is not a NBA star who is BIG should pay more according to this line of thinking.

I think NEW airplanes built should think of the finding ways to have customers happy and not worry about what size they are.

New rollercoaster designs are factoring bigger people and putting extra large seating in. :-) yet the airplanes cant figure that out.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:49 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
human beings come in many sizes, some are short, tall, big and small, disabled and crazy and control freaks.

Maybe Shaq or every NBA player or person who is not a NBA star who is BIG should pay more according to this line of thinking.

I think NEW airplanes built should think of the finding ways to have customers happy and not worry about what size they are.

New rollercoaster designs are factoring bigger people and putting extra large seating in. :-) yet the airplanes cant figure that out.
It's not that they can't figure it out, it's that they make more money by packing people in like sardines. It's all about the bottom line.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:00 PM

756 posts, read 424,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post

I'm well aware of that. I'm a tall guy and air travel is miserable for me. My knees are jammed into the seat in front of me even BEFORE It's reclined and I can't sleep because my head is up too high for the head rest, the pillow things they sell don't help either. I pretty much just stay in the same crouched position until it's over.

I don't complain about it, I accept it because I realize, like you said, human beings come in many sizes.
It's just the cards I was dealt. Sometimes it has advantages, other times, not so much.

I'm not overweight but if they had to charge by the pound, I'd probably get charged more too. I don't have a problem with that.

However, I don't inconvenience or endanger anyone else.

It's once thing to accept that there are different sized people but another to realize when it inconveniences or endangers someone else.

If you PAY for an airline seat, I don't see how you should have to have someone else touching you because they are so fat, it can't be helped and I don't see why you should be trapped in your seat because they are too fat to get up easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies