Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 09:42 AM

21,557 posts, read 10,686,070 times

Advertisements

The thing that irritates me is that she's basically saying no one today can claim they are a hard worker because slaves were really hard workers. Forget that there are plenty of people working today at hard manual labor, or doctors working 36-hour shifts at the ER, or surgeons performing 16-hour surgeries day in and day out, or even school teachers dealing with children, lessons, and then tutorials after school and grading papers at night. Or how about the people working in agriculture still picking fruit, vegetables, and even cotton today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 09:47 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,812,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
Are we really supposed to believe that is a reference to anything OTHER than slavery?
Only by those who want to make excuses for this woman and can only do so by quibbling over the English used.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:52 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,167,084 times
Dang, she mixed subjects that have nothing to do with each other. I think she needs a vacation.

But I guarantee that many many working mothers (of all stripes) that watched that would say "amen." By now I've worked with dozens of working moms who constantly spend significant work time raising their families. All of them are C- employees at best whose work plates need to be cleaned up by coworkers. So I have zero liberal beliefs when it comes to working moms.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:55 AM

756 posts, read 426,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
The thing that irritates me is that she's basically saying no one today can claim they are a hard worker because slaves were really hard workers. Forget that there are plenty of people working today at hard manual labor, or doctors working 36-hour shifts at the ER, or surgeons performing 16-hour surgeries day in and day out, or even school teachers dealing with children, lessons, and then tutorials after school and grading papers at night. Or how about the people working in agriculture still picking fruit, vegetables, and even cotton today?

I would love to know what words and phrases AREN'T offensive to the politically correct! I think if someone bothered to collect them all into one place, we'd see just how ridiculous this has become.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:55 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,864,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
I don't think it's much of a leap.
She pauses and tells her guest to be "super careful" and then mentions she keeps a picture of people picking cotton as a reminder to her.

Are we really supposed to believe that is a reference to anything OTHER than slavery?
It may not be much of a leap, but people are now attacking her for something she didn't say. There were multiple places in her statement where she could have made it racial or about slavery, but she didn't. Instead of folks she could have said slaves or instead of the relative privilege she could have said white privilege. But she did not. Its not like these terms would have been foreign to her.

I know in my own life there are times when I have complained about some trifling matter with by job or some other situation. At those times I have to remind myself how fortunate I am. I usually think back to some of the summer jobs I've had and the people who were not doing those jobs for just a summer. In my career there have been some unbelievable long weeks and months, but overall I've had it pretty good.

So Harris-Perry uses a picture of folks working in cotton fields to remind herself. That is offensive how?

Old 10-28-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
I personally find the woman obnoxious but I do think in this instance she was talking about people who actually do back breaking work for little money. However, someone who makes the money she makes lecturing anyone on "privilege" and not using the term hard working is ridiculous. Not to mention the obvious point that one can work very hard without it being a physical job.
As she expressed, she keeps the picture as a reminder to herself. I don't think she was excluding herself from the type of privilege that she was talking about.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:02 AM

862 posts, read 522,423 times
It's not offensive, but it is really stupid and petty. We can't say hard worker because slaves were hard workers?

Give me a break.

Did she explicitly say we cant use the term? No, but by saying "we have to be really careful" and then going off onto her bizzare tangent, that is what she was getting at. If you can't see that, I don't know what else to tell you.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I believe she was referring to the very type of workers that you have mentioned. She didn't say slavery or that only slaves work hard.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:03 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,239,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
As she expressed, she keeps the picture as a reminder to herself. I don't think she was excluding herself from the type of privilege that she was talking about.
Her condescending attitude while explaining her point to the gentleman in the interview is grating. It is as though she believes some of her audience does not understand and that they are by and large Republicans.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:06 AM

13,299 posts, read 7,909,667 times
Ben Carson was raised by a hard working mom.

And then he became a hard working man.

Slavery - Ya just can't escape it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies