Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2015, 06:59 PM

273 posts, read 350,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Oh, makes sense. What's his pain to get rid of NAFTA so he can charge tariffs on goods from Mexico?
I don't think The Donald will "get rid" of NAFTA, that would be extremely difficult if not impossible. What Trump will do is change various provisions in NAFTA to make it fair and benefit Americans. Trump has said numerous times that he fully supports free trade but it also has to be FAIR TRADE that benefits the American middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 07:08 PM

273 posts, read 350,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
A win of the magnitude that you're suggesting is unheard of in the entire history of Presidential elections. It would be roughly 4% larger than the largest landslides of the 20th Century (Harding in 1920, Roosevelt in 1936, Eisenhower in 1956, Johnson in 1964, Nixon in 1972 or Reagan in 1984). Keep in mind also, that the electorate in 2016 is projected to be 30 to 31% minority. If minorities vote as they did in 2012, the GOP would need between 63% to 64%% of the white vote just to win the national popular vote. To achieve 65% of the total popular vote,Trump would have to win minority voters by a landslide. There aren't enough white votes for a white only appeal to reach anywhere close to 55% of the total popular vote, let alone 65%.
I think Trump will do extremely well with minority voters, particularly African Americans. African Americans in states like CA and TX have been absolutely decimated by NAFTA with the loss of high paying manufacturing jobs and illegal immigrants changing and transforming their neighborhoods, Compton and Inglewood come to mind.

Trump is not a typical Republican, he has immense populist appeal and I think he will easily garner about 40-45% of the Black vote.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:14 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,608,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Just for the record, Philly's Democratic candidate for Mayor won 85% of the vote, his Republican opponent got just 13% of the vote.
She was a Democrat right up until a few months ago. I don't think you can say it was a huge "Republican" defeat. Mayoral candidates in places like Chicago and Detroit try that too. It just doesn't work.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:14 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,300,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Valencia View Post
I think Trump will do extremely well with minority voters, particularly African Americans. African Americans in states like CA and TX have been absolutely decimated by NAFTA with the loss of high paying manufacturing jobs and illegal immigrants changing and transforming their neighborhoods, Compton and Inglewood come to mind.

Trump is not a typical Republican, he has immense populist appeal and I think he will easily garner about 40-45% of the Black vote.
He might win, but he isn't going to get anywhere near 65% of the popular vote. No one is, primarily because no one ever has, and we're more polarized politically than we have ever been. There aren't enough persuadable voters now for either side to win by a landslide (defined as a double digit win).

Old 11-07-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:

Even if they are adversely affected by NAFTA, can Trump verbalize that? He doesn't explain policy positions very well.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:24 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
OK, but that's one thing. You can't reverse a 50 year shift by doing one thing.
its a start though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Oh, makes sense. What's his pain to get rid of NAFTA so he can charge tariffs on goods from Mexico?
Quote:
I don't think The Donald will "get rid" of NAFTA, that would be extremely difficult if not impossible. What Trump will do is change various provisions in NAFTA to make it fair and benefit Americans. Trump has said numerous times that he fully supports free trade but it also has to be FAIR TRADE that benefits the American middle class.
actually getting rid of nafta is going to be much easier than changing it. as i recall there is a provision in the nafta agreement that states any signator country of that agreement can exit the agreement by notifying the other signators of that action, and giving them six months notice.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:27 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,336,740 times
Quote:
Oh okay. So when he proposes the changes and Mexico and Canada refuse to agree, what's the plan?

Old 11-07-2015, 07:44 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,686,985 times
So Trumps creates jobs by making cars and household goods unaffordable? Got it.
And when Mexico does the same with the food and copper and oil that they sell to us this too will create jobs here?

Old 11-07-2015, 07:47 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,423,827 times
I can think of few predictions more absurd than 40-45% of African Americans voting for Trump on Election night. The Fox kool-aid appears to be spiked with delusion.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
its a start though.

actually getting rid of nafta is going to be much easier than changing it. as i recall there is a provision in the nafta agreement that states any signator country of that agreement can exit the agreement by notifying the other signators of that action, and giving them six months notice.
Are you positive? That doesn't sound very binding to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies