Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2015, 07:43 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,181,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
I'm sorry. I don't speak slogan. are you referring to bank bailouts? if you are, why don't you say so? banks should not have received a bailout. see, I was able to answer a question that you were unable to ask. that's how brilliant I am.
BUT they did..and did...and did....and did. So why shouldn't others wonder where theirs is at?

People always say "I was against that" but yet they refused to vote for those who would have seen to that so the statements ring hollow. Not only did they refuse to vote for them, they condemned them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 07:44 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Free money to Wall Street = good. Free money for an education = bad.
The thing that irritates me the most about either side..... the idea of "free" anything. Nothing in life is free. If someone receives anything "free" someone else worked or paid for it.

Heck we're even all free to choose....but not free from the consequences of that choice......

Old 11-15-2015, 07:45 AM

34,037 posts, read 17,050,952 times
We have free tuition for those who earn it, as many academic scholarships are available.

As for the rest, we are generous with grants and loans.

That is plenty to enable the driven to obtain a college education.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:46 AM

624 posts, read 1,071,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
http://www.newsweek.com/million-stud...nd-debt-393691

What is wrong with college kids these days (this month)?

One moron was calling for textbooks, housing, etc. to be free as well, but one step and time so let's start with tuition.

Where exactly are colleges going to get the money so they can give "free" tuition for all?
May be not free, but in their defense, we should not have government involvement in tuition to the extent that is it now. For instance, if the government would only loan X for tuition, you would see that the prices would start falling down to be near that amount. But as it is, colleges see no need for restraint.

Forbes Welcome
Quote:
That new study is here:

When students fund their education through loans, changes in student borrowing and tuition are
interlinked. Higher tuition costs raise loan demand, but loan supply also affects equilibrium
tuition costs—for example, by relaxing students’ funding constraints. To resolve this simultaneity
problem, we exploit detailed student-level financial data and changes in federal student aid
programs to identify the impact of increased student loan funding on tuition. We find that
institutions more exposed to changes in the subsidized federal loan program increased their
tuition disproportionately around these policy changes, with a sizable pass-through effect on
tuition of about 65 percent.
We also find that Pell Grant aid and the unsubsidized federal loan
program have pass-through effects on tuition, although these are economically and statistically
not as strong. The subsidized loan effect on tuition is most pronounced for expensive, private
institutions that are somewhat, but not among the most, selective.
Also, note this
Extravagant Spending at Colleges and Universities - NerdWallet

Quote:
To attract new students and maintain their ranking, universities are spending increasing amounts of money on infrastructure and amenities. Alumni centers, luxurious dormitories, dining halls, student unions, recreational facilities–in today’s college market, these are the things that distinguish one school from its competitors.
And this piece showed some examples of tricked out college campuses
http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/tric...ry?id=26164491

Now, if you want to go to Texas Tech college your tuition goes to compensate for all this spending. But was it really necessary to have this water park in the college? I'm sure there are other examples that we don't know about. So, take it easy on those kids.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
The thing that irritates me the most about either side..... the idea of "free" anything. Nothing in life is free. If someone receives anything "free" someone else worked or paid for it.
If someone else worked for it and others received it, to them wasn't it free?

Quote:
Heck we're even all free to choose....but not free from the consequences of that choice......
As we are seeing.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:48 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,726,226 times
Quote:
^^ When you're not the someone else paying for it

A. You don't care,
B. It never occurred to you that someone else worked to pay for it,
C. You don't appreciate it, it becomes expected,
D. You'll always want more free stuff.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:48 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,749,139 times
Quote:
BUT they did..and did...and did....and did. So why shouldn't others wonder where theirs is at?

People always say "I was against that" but yet they refused to vote for those who would have seen to that so the statements ring hollow. Not only did they refuse to vote for them, they condemned them.
they can wonder all they want. I even said that they could have their "free" college. in exchange they give up voting rights until they graduate and become productive members of society. when they choose to act like adults, we'll treat them like adults.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:49 AM

624 posts, read 1,071,733 times
Quote:

I agree with you, but we live in a world where money calls the shots. If you owe the bank $1000 and can't pay, you have a problem, if you owe the bank $10,000,000 and can't pay, now bank has a problem and needs to be bailed out by you and me.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
they can wonder all they want. I even said that they could have their "free" college. in exchange they give up voting rights until they graduate and become productive members of society. when they choose to act like adults, we'll treat them like adults.
When do we hold the bankers to this standard?

Old 11-15-2015, 07:53 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,726,226 times
Quote:
When do we hold the bankers to this standard?
Obama was in office for the past 7 years, why didn't he use his pen and phone to hold them accountable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies