Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 07:23 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,524,460 times

Advertisements

Now who might this apply to in our popular culture today? Any suggestions?

Link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 11:27 AM

410 posts, read 492,458 times
I was in a conversation with another where I said Yale is overwhelmingly liberal. He said that was a generalization. I said it was an accurate generalization. He then said I needed evidence to back my sweeping claims. I then shows him a survey taken by over 800 Yale freshmen which showed that over 60% had "very liberal" or "liberal" politics; only about 12% said they had "conservative" views. I noted that it was just the freshman class, so it was incomplete and that not all freshman participated in the survey, but it was still something to think about. He then said the survey was BS and questioned the word "liberal" and proceeded talk about fallacies and the art of argument. (These types - these fallacy listers - are pretty alike, and I say that by just intuition and by experience.)

It's also telling that anyone would dismiss these recent events as NOT a sign of what's being taught to the students.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:08 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
So it looks like more of this will be coming our way as the police crisis is over for now, and a new crisis begins for the country.

The Yale Missouri Virus is Spreading

So what's the theme? Unfair treatment by unnamed, unknown people - that goes unresponsive from administrations.

To me, the response from administration would be to get some concrete details and deal with the offenders - instead of making some nonsense widespread policy or resigning to avoid the problem altogether.

In the link I posted, one of the complaints was that someone used a homophobic slur in class. Get the name of the class member - otherwise, I ain't dealing with it. People can easily vandalize their own stuff and say someone else did it.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 11-13-2015 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 11-13-2015, 01:38 PM

Here's another one...

Amherst student group demands ‘zero-tolerance policy for racial insensitivity and hate speech’

Old 11-13-2015, 01:44 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,607,114 times
The Democratic Party is morphing into the party of speech censor and fascism. They're not "liberal" by the real definition of the word at all.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:07 PM

Black students interrupt Univ. of Kansas Town Hall in wake of Missouri protest

All of this is happening now at once. People all of a sudden did not become overly racist - especially at a college. There are no guilty parties... just accusations.

This will get the media's attention, which means it will get the nation's attention. What's the motive... what's the goal of this? Is the attention being taken off of something else that's going on?

Old 11-13-2015, 02:08 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
they're demanding that students who put up posters declaring 'free speech' and 'all lives matter' be "required to attend extensive training for racial and cultural competency." WTF?

the sign that drove them over the edge. how hurtful

Old 11-13-2015, 02:12 PM

Here's some of the fallout...

Univ. of Missouri student: ‘Several of us are afraid to disagree with other students’

I believe in liberty for all people, but the current climate on campus runs counter to that. Some friends tell me they are afraid to voice their opinions lest they come under fire from the administration or peers – or the police.

The University of Missouri police department sent an email urging students to report offensive or hurtful speech – not because it is illegal – but so the Office of Student Conduct could take disciplinary action against these students.

Several of us are afraid to disagree with other students, who in turn may report us to the authorities so we can be “dealt with.” Many students have told me they are also afraid to speak out against the protest narrative, afraid they will be called “racist” and become campus pariahs.

What’s lost is honest dialogue.

Racism can and should be addressed organically by students – but not at the expense of an honest discussion that includes all voices and all viewpoints.

Read the rest at the link.

So could this be another attempt at bullying people to keep quiet on certain subjects? They tried it with the adults, and it didn't work... maybe they are going after the younger demographic where they expect less resistance.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:17 PM

756 posts, read 424,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Here's some of the fallout...

Univ. of Missouri student: ‘Several of us are afraid to disagree with other students’

I believe in liberty for all people, but the current climate on campus runs counter to that. Some friends tell me they are afraid to voice their opinions lest they come under fire from the administration or peers – or the police.

The University of Missouri police department sent an email urging students to report offensive or hurtful speech – not because it is illegal – but so the Office of Student Conduct could take disciplinary action against these students.

Several of us are afraid to disagree with other students, who in turn may report us to the authorities so we can be “dealt with.” Many students have told me they are also afraid to speak out against the protest narrative, afraid they will be called “racist” and become campus pariahs.

What’s lost is honest dialogue.

Racism can and should be addressed organically by students – but not at the expense of an honest discussion that includes all voices and all viewpoints.

Read the rest at the link.

From the link...

Quote:
The “safe space” built at Mizzou means dissenting voices are decried as “racist,” “offensive” or “hurtful.” Students face diversity reeducation, pending expulsion.

Speech on my campus has become limited, not just on the quad. Grad students refuse to dissent from the opinions of liberal professors lest they lose their position, for example.

This is not an Orwellian dystopian novel – this is the climate of the University of Missouri, and it’s the reality that I, and my fellow students, face every day.
Wow.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:25 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
From the link...

Wow.
kinda make ya feel for the large numbers of normal students who have to live in this hotbed of hair-trigger lunacy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies