Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2015, 12:16 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,446,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
I have to call you out on your last line, about machine guns being sold in the parking lots. Considering there are a finite amount of legal-to-own machine guns in the US, the extremely stiff punishments for illegal possession, and the ATF being all too happy to enforce the relating laws on them, I'd almost bet you that what you saw as a machine gun was little more than the semi-auto look-alike. You'd have to be a complete blithering idiot to conduct a transaction like that in public.
Exactly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 12:16 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,832,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunswithguns View Post
Funny, Obama doesn't want you to own a gun, but if your a muslim, he will fight for you to own one!

BREAKING: Obama Takes Revenge on Gun Store Owner Who Dared to Ban Muslims | Top Right News
Next...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BiwFWD4yxs

Old 11-17-2015, 12:17 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...uns/?tid=sm_fb

Republicans are so anxious to block all syrian refugees from settling in their states, but they have given free reign to the NRA to wreck havoc with guns.

And then there's this:
because the '''watch list''' or '''nofly list''' isnt exactly accurate

so if a person being a '''suspected''' terrorist, but is NOT a terrorist or dangerous he/she will NOT be allowed his/her FREEDOM to purchacxe a weapon

Sen Ted Kennedy was on the no-fly list
Sen. Kennedy Flagged by No-Fly List (washingtonpost.com)

Old 11-17-2015, 12:18 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
"Suspected terrorists"? That's just the kind of ambiguous law the government wants to be able to arbitrarily deny whoever they want.
So? Cons are almost hysterical in their push to profile middle easterners & blacks, why wouldn't you support this type of profiling?

Old 11-17-2015, 12:23 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,838,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
So? Cons are almost hysterical in their push to profile middle easterners & blacks, why wouldn't you support this type of profiling?

I said this in another thread, but I'll say it again here. When ISIS claims to have fighters mixed in with the refugees, we need to know EXACTLY who we're bringing in. There is nothing hysterical about that. Looking at how easily an American citizen can be labelled a terrorist or a suspected terrorist, I can't get behind any kind of law that would use that criteria. Look at the list of absurd things that would get someone added to that list.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:25 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,980,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Get them on tax evasion. If they are selling " thousands" as you say and I have no idea if someone does that or not you can bet they arent reporting these sales.
They are also in violation of the business licensing laws in most states. I think it is also a Federal rule that if one person sells more than a certain number of guns per year (10?) they are, in fact, a DEALER, and must be licensed as such.
Shucks, in my state I can't even have more than two garage sales per year unless I get a business license!

Old 11-17-2015, 12:26 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
They are also in violation of the business licensing laws in most states. I think it is also a Federal rule that if one person sells more than a certain number of guns per year (10?) they are, in fact, a DEALER, and must be licensed as such.
Shucks, in my state I can't even have more than two garage sales per year unless I get a business license!
It's not a business license, it is not paying taxes on profit. Of course everyone in this thread claims income whenever they sell something for more than they purchased it.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:31 PM

"Permits the Attorney General to withhold information in firearms and explosives license denial revocation suits if the Attorney General determines that the disclosure of such information would likely compromise national security."

All the AG has to do is invoke national security and the applicant is screwed.

This bill was also introduced February 25, 2015. It's not like they couldn't have been selling this bill to the public all that time. I guess they'd rather play up recent events.

Rep King has also not been a huge supporter of the 2A. https://www.conservativereview.com/members/peter-king/

I know its a website with conservative in the name, but the votes are cited.

Last edited by spankys bbq; 11-17-2015 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: Added quotation marks on bill language.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:40 PM

In regards to the amount of firearms a person may sell before requiring an FFL...

A quick search and a little reading leaves me with this answer, as I interpret it. If a person buys firearms with the express intent of selling them, at a profit or loss, then the person must have an FFL. If a person buys them and uses them, they may sell them without limitation. It seems the FFL is only required if a person chooses to engage in the purchase and sale of firearms which he has no intention of keeping or using, in other words, as a business.

Personally, if I had the money to spend, I'd love to buy and sell guns just to try them out and keep or sell them depending on how I like them. It would certainly not be as a business, but as a hobby. Maybe buy a couple shotguns and see if I like them, then maybe sell those off at a later date to pay for a nicer one.

As far as getting the FFL, I do believe the "kitchen table FFL" was done away with many years ago. This may be what was referenced re: Clinton and FFls. It's odd that some people want to require a person to have an FFL but the government makes such a thing impossible, or extremely unlikely. Plus, all of the requirements of maintaining an FFL would pretty much prevent most hobbyists from even considering the idea. Just the inspections and the bound books would be a pain in the butt for a small-time guy.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:46 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
NRA blocked bill that would stop suspected terrorists from buying guns

I'm reminded of the fallacy concerning gun control....
  • Thugs, Criminals, Terrorists use guns to break laws. (FACT)
So
  • Let's create more laws to stop Thugs, Criminals, Terrorists from using guns. (Fallacy)
It's a simple concept. Doesn't require long weasel worded prose. Yet people who want to impose gun control laws on legal law abiding gun owners, don't understand it and/or can't address it. Or more likely, insult those who raise fallacy.

It's clear enough that the very strict gun control laws in France did nothing to stop the mayhem there this week. Those laws only made it worse because the average citizen isn't allowed to carry protection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies