Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 10:44 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Vets don't have "access" to vaccinations? The only place they can be vaccinated is through the VA?

Go to any supermarket with a pharmacy (like Publix), retail chains (Walmart, Target, COSTCO), pharmacy chains (CVS, Walgreens), and you will see big signs that they give Flu shots, and "now" have Shingles, Pneumonia, and even Tdap vaccines. Some communities are even now running drive through vaccinations. Stick your arm out of your car and we will vaccinate you.

If these places take government run Medicare, they won't take government run VA Benefits?

I do not think that access was the motivation for this legislation.
How does that work for long term in-patients?

Or those older vets who do choose to utilize the VA, and only the VA, for their care?

Whatever the situation, this legislation was developed in response to concerns voiced by this community.
Seems to me that they, themselves, would know best.

"One proposal aims to improve mental health care and suicide prevention while another would allow young people to stay on their parents' VA health insurance program until age 26. A third measure would reimburse expenses for veterans who travel for in-patient care and the last would promote more timely vaccinations for veterans"

Tester introduces Veterans Affairs legislation

Old 11-18-2015, 10:45 AM

10,235 posts, read 6,324,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I can give it to you.

CDC - Vaccines - Adult Immunization Schedule, by Vaccine and Age Group

Note use of word "recommended", ie, none of this is mandatory.
Look up the word coercion. Make the "consequences" so stringent (no public school, fired from job, higher premiums) to ensure compliance.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:46 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,873,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
How does that work for long term in-patients?

Or those older vets who do choose to utilize the VA, and only the VA, for their care?

Whatever the situation, this legislation was developed in response to concerns voiced by this community.
Seems to me that they, themselves, would know best.

"One proposal aims to improve mental health care and suicide prevention while another would allow young people to stay on their parents' VA health insurance program until age 26. A third measure would reimburse expenses for veterans who travel for in-patient care and the last would promote more timely vaccinations for veterans"

Tester introduces Veterans Affairs legislation
S'matter, Tester?

Don't veterans have government credit cards?

The perfect tracking system.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:03 AM

"Whatever the situation, this legislation was developed in response to concerns voiced by this community.
Seems to me that they, themselves, would know best."

The problem here is that his community's concerns would be fostered on all the communities in the country by FEDERAL legislation.

Does he know what is best for the rest of the country too?

Old 11-18-2015, 11:04 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Nurse Association? What in the world is that? lol I am sure most people in this country have heard of Walmart, Target, CVS, etc., AND have access to one.
You've never heard of the Visiting Nurse Association? My goodness, they're the oldest home health agencies around, dating in eastern cities from the 1880s, and in Denver from 1899. They used to be about the biggest provider of flu shots around, until pharmacists could give immunizations. I worked for them, in the early 2000s, when there would be hundreds of people lined up in a grocery store, Walmart, Target, (don't have CVS here), etc. It has only been in the last 10 years or so that pharmacists could give immunizations in most states. They're still big providers, even here in Denver, and especially in rural Colorado.

I checked and most of these pharmacies you suggested do take Tricare, but that is for active military.

Here's what the VA says:

" Veterans enrolled in VA health care can get a free flu shot at a VA health care facility. - See more at: http://www.publichealth.va.gov/flu/#sthash.bi02xbhw.dpuf"

There is some sort of partnership with the VA and Walgreen's in New Mexico: VA partners with Walgreens for free flu shots | News | taosnews.com

Nothing like that in Colorado that I could find, though there was this in Colorado Springs, home to a large veteran contingent: Free, drive-thru flu clinic Saturday in Colorado Springs for veterans
Note this was on base.

Quote:
Look up the word coercion. Make the "consequences" so stringent (no public school, fired from job, higher premiums) to ensure compliance.
Not too many veterans going to public school, not in K-12 anyway. All colleges in Colorado have immunization requirements with some exemptions available. Some people getting their health care through the VA may be employed; it's up to the employer to set policy. I don't know what the VA's policy for its own workers is, maybe Wynter could tell us. No premiums for VA care.
ACA Frequently Asked Questions -- VA, Affordable Care Act and You
"No enrollment fee, monthly premiums, or deductibles. Most Veterans have no out-of-pocket costs. Some Veterans may have to pay small copayments for health care or prescription drugs."

Old 11-18-2015, 12:19 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,873,743 times
Quote:
I can give it to you.

CDC - Vaccines - Adult Immunization Schedule, by Vaccine and Age Group

Note use of word "recommended", ie, none of this is mandatory.
Preamble as a foisting to mandate.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:33 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times
Quote:
As usual, an over-reaction from the anti-vax crowd. This bill authorizes appropriation of money for the immunizations. I see nothing in it that veterans will be required to get the immunizations.
https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-...01625B2BB7F877
"SEC. 101. Improved access to appropriate immunizations for veterans.

(a) Inclusion of recommended adult immunizations as medical services.—

(1) COVERED BENEFIT.—Subparagraph (F) of section 1701(9) of title 38, United States Code, is amended to read as follows:

“(F) immunizations against infectious diseases, including each immunization on the recommended adult immunization schedule at the time such immunization is indicated on that schedule;”.

(2) RECOMMENDED ADULT IMMUNIZATION SCHEDULE DEFINED.—Section 1701 of such title is amended by adding after paragraph (9) the following new paragraph:

“(10) The term ‘recommended adult immunization schedule’ means the schedule established (and periodically reviewed and, as appropriate, revised) by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices established by the Secretary of Health and Human Services and delegated to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.”." (Govt. website)
You left out this part:
Quote:
[3) by inserting after clause (ii) the following new clause:

“(iii) to provide veterans each immunization on the recommended adult immunization schedule at the time such immunization is indicated on that schedule.”.

(c) Report to Congress.—

(1) IN GENERAL.—Not later than two years after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Secretary of Veterans Affairs shall submit to the Committee on Veterans’ Affairs of the Senate and the Committee on Veterans’ Affairs of the House of Representatives a report on the development and implementation by the Department of Veterans Affairs of quality measures and metrics, including targets for compliance, to ensure that veterans receiving medical services under chapter 17 of title 38, United States Code, receive each immunization on the recommended adult immunization schedule at the time such immunization is indicated on that schedule.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:31 PM

Miss Terri, as with the parents in California who cannot afford to home school, it will be Vets who have not worked in private industry with health insurance, paying into Medicare, etc., and can ONLY afford to go to the VA for medical treatment who will scr...ed if they refuse to be vaccinated.

Who will be next in the quest for Universal Vaccination? Medicare Beneficiaries. Part A (free) meets the ACA mandate. That does not pay for ANY vaccinations. Even Part B, which only includes TWO "recommended" vaccinations, has to be elected and paid for by the beneficiary. Part D, drug coverage including all meds/vax, also has to be elected and paid for. Just imagine all the elderly falling through the cracks, not being vaccinated, and DYING from "vaccine preventable diseases"? lol Sorry to get OT, but government mandates are government mandates.

Step by step. They are coming for EVERYONE eventually.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
You've never heard of the Visiting Nurse Association? My goodness, they're the oldest home health agencies around, dating in eastern cities from the 1880s, and in Denver from 1899. They used to be about the biggest provider of flu shots around, until pharmacists could give immunizations. I worked for them, in the early 2000s, when there would be hundreds of people lined up in a grocery store, Walmart, Target, (don't have CVS here), etc. It has only been in the last 10 years or so that pharmacists could give immunizations in most states. They're still big providers, even here in Denver, and especially in rural Colorado.

I checked and most of these pharmacies you suggested do take Tricare, but that is for active military.

Here's what the VA says:

" Veterans enrolled in VA health care can get a free flu shot at a VA health care facility. - See more at: http://www.publichealth.va.gov/flu/#sthash.bi02xbhw.dpuf"

There is some sort of partnership with the VA and Walgreen's in New Mexico: VA partners with Walgreens for free flu shots | News | taosnews.com

Nothing like that in Colorado that I could find, though there was this in Colorado Springs, home to a large veteran contingent: Free, drive-thru flu clinic Saturday in Colorado Springs for veterans
Note this was on base.

Not too many veterans going to public school, not in K-12 anyway. All colleges in Colorado have immunization requirements with some exemptions available. Some people getting their health care through the VA may be employed; it's up to the employer to set policy. I don't know what the VA's policy for its own workers is, maybe Wynter could tell us. No premiums for VA care.
ACA Frequently Asked Questions -- VA, Affordable Care Act and You
"No enrollment fee, monthly premiums, or deductibles. Most Veterans have no out-of-pocket costs. Some Veterans may have to pay small copayments for health care or prescription drugs."
My husband had that Visiting Nurse after his heart attack. She wanted me to be there since I was his primary caregiver. She must have fallen down on her job because she never talked about vaccinations. I suppose there were more pressing medical issues than vaccinations?

My Senior husband is a Nam Vet, is still working, has employer insurance, and Medicare. He does not use the VA. As I said in my original post, how does this legislation propose to track vaccinations of these Vets, who probably are in the majority, especially YOUNG working Vets?

Old 11-18-2015, 03:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:

My Senior husband is a Nam Vet, is still working, has employer insurance, and Medicare. He does not use the VA. As I said in my original post, how does this legislation propose to track vaccinations of these Vets, who probably are in the majority, especially YOUNG working Vets?
It doesn't. It's not about tracking. Perhaps we could stick to what the law is about.

In the part Miss Terri quoted, it speaks of "targets for compliance", so it doesn't sound mandatory to me.

It's about access and making sure the immunizations are offered.

You all realize this mostly concerns flu, pneumonia, and shingles vaccines, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies