Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 03:50 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times

Advertisements

This is the list of vaccines for adults. It includes annual influenza vaccination, Tdap or Td, varicella, HPV, shingles, mmr and pneumonia vaccinations.
CDC - Vaccines - Adult Immunization Schedule, by Vaccine and Age Group

The wording is as follows: "to ensure that veterans receiving medical services under chapter 17 of title 38, United States Code, receive each immunization on the recommended adult immunization schedule at the time such immunization is indicated on that schedule. "

Old 11-18-2015, 05:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
This is the list of vaccines for adults. It includes annual influenza vaccination, Tdap or Td, varicella, HPV, shingles, mmr and pneumonia vaccinations.
CDC - Vaccines - Adult Immunization Schedule, by Vaccine and Age Group

The wording is as follows: "to ensure that veterans receiving medical services under chapter 17 of title 38, United States Code, receive each immunization on the recommended adult immunization schedule at the time such immunization is indicated on that schedule. "
From your link:
Tdap or Td-"Persons aged 11 years or older who have not received Tdap vaccine or for whom vaccine status is unknown should receive a dose of Tdap followed by tetanus and diphtheria toxoids (Td) booster doses every 10 years thereafter. Tdap can be administered regardless of interval since the most recent tetanus or diphtheria-toxoid containing vaccine."
So a dose of Tdap if never had one, then Td every 10 years.

Varicella-:"All adults without evidence of immunity to varicella (as defined below) should receive 2 doses of single-antigen varicella vaccine or a second dose if they have received only 1 dose. Evidence of immunity to varicella in adults includes any of the following:

documentation of 2 doses of varicella vaccine at least 4 weeks apart;
U.S.-born before 1980, except health care personnel and pregnant women;
history of varicella based on diagnosis or verification of varicella disease by a health care provider;
history of herpes zoster based on diagnosis or verification of herpes zoster disease by a health care provider; or
laboratory evidence of immunity or laboratory confirmation of disease."

So, being born before 1980 (includes most veterans); history of the disease verified by a health care provider; history of shingles, or laboratory evidence of immunity all exempt one from the vaccine.

MMR-"Adults born before 1957 are generally considered immune to measles and mumps. All adults born in 1957 or later should have documentation of 1 or more doses of MMR vaccine unless they have a medical contraindication to the vaccine or laboratory evidence of immunity to each of the three diseases. Documentation of provider-diagnosed disease is not considered acceptable evidence of immunity for measles, mumps, or rubella."Most people will qualify by either being born before 1957 or having had at least one dose of the vaccine. They can also get a titer if they think they might have either had the disease or been vaccinated but have no record.

Shingles-"A single dose of zoster vaccine is recommended for adults aged 60 years or older regardless of whether they report a prior episode of herpes zoster. Although the vaccine is licensed by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for use among and can be administered to persons aged 50 years or older, ACIP recommends that vaccination begin at age 60 years."

Pneumonia-In general "When indicated, only a single dose of PCV13 is recommended for adults.
No additional dose of PPSV23 is indicated for adults vaccinated with PPSV23 at or after age 65 years."

Lots of detail about this disease for adults 19-64, to wit: Adults aged 19 through 64 years with immunocompromising conditions or anatomical or functional asplenia (defined below); Adults aged 19 through 64 years with cerebrospinal fluid leaks or cochlear implants; Adults aged 19 through 64 years with chronic heart disease (including congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathies, excluding hypertension), chronic lung disease (including chronic obstructive lung disease, emphysema, and asthma), chronic liver disease (including cirrhosis), alcoholism, or diabetes mellitus: Administer PPSV23.
Adults aged 19 through 64 years who smoke cigarettes or reside in nursing home or long-term care facilities: Administer PPSV23."
Mod note: Govt. website My notes in teal.

Yes, to ensure. So it's not missed. (I wish my dad had gotten a pneumonia vaccination. No one ever recommended it to him. He nearly died of pneumonia. He did not get his care through the VA.) The VA probably wasn't thinking of anti-vaxers when they wrote this, or they would have worded it more carefully. Not a big problem with their clients, I'd wager.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:13 PM

10,235 posts, read 6,324,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
It doesn't. It's not about tracking. Perhaps we could stick to what the law is about.

In the part Miss Terri quoted, it speaks of "targets for compliance", so it doesn't sound mandatory to me.

It's about access and making sure the immunizations are offered.

You all realize this mostly concerns flu, pneumonia, and shingles vaccines, no?
Targets to me sounds like sitting ducks under attack. Having had an former employer's Wellness Program, I know all about what "compliance" means; INCREASED Premiums for NON-compliance. Consequences for Non-Compliance, as another "health care professional" (nameless) has posted many times.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Targets to me sounds like sitting ducks under attack. Having had an former employer's Wellness Program, I know all about what "compliance" means; INCREASED Premiums for NON-compliance. Consequences for Non-Compliance, as another "health care professional" (nameless) has posted many times.
There are no premiums for VA care. None, zip, nada.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:31 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,513,195 times
Obama's EHR initiative is designed to better communication between health care providers so we can get as real time data collection as possible and avoid issues like poly-pharmacy. It is not, as the conspiracy theorists think something to be used as a punitive measure.

As far as the VA goes, when I check in a patient I have a list of questions I have to ask them based on an algorithm, themselves generated by a variety of things: age of the vet, medical history, etc. The vaccination questions are based on the CDC recommended schedule (yearly flu vaccine, pneumonia vaccine every five years, tetanus every 10, shingles over 65, etc. ). I make the offer and the vet is free to say yay or nay. If they refuse I document the refusal and move on to the next questions. I have no power to compel but I do try and get those with young children or who work with kids to at least get the TDAP (Tetanus, Diptheris, and Pertussis) due to the state having consecutive years of Pertussis (whooping cough) outbreaks as it can be fatal in children. If they continue to refuse I document the refusal and move on. There's no compulsion or penalty for refusal.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:44 PM

412 posts, read 451,876 times
As a vet, I am appalled at the ass-hats on here trying to politicize the routine vaccinations of vets under VA care. This is an outrage. Vets do not deserve to be made into your damn political footballs. There is nothing going on except the providing of routine vaccinations to eligible vets.

Crawl out from under your damn tinfoil hats and leave the vets alone.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:28 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,873,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Obama's EHR initiative is designed to better communication between health care providers so we can get as real time data collection as possible and avoid issues like poly-pharmacy. It is not, as the conspiracy theorists think something to be used as a punitive measure.

As far as the VA goes, when I check in a patient I have a list of questions I have to ask them based on an algorithm, themselves generated by a variety of things: age of the vet, medical history, etc. The vaccination questions are based on the CDC recommended schedule (yearly flu vaccine, pneumonia vaccine every five years, tetanus every 10, shingles over 65, etc. ). I make the offer and the vet is free to say yay or nay. If they refuse I document the refusal and move on to the next questions. I have no power to compel but I do try and get those with young children or who work with kids to at least get the TDAP (Tetanus, Diptheris, and Pertussis) due to the state having consecutive years of Pertussis (whooping cough) outbreaks as it can be fatal in children. If they continue to refuse I document the refusal and move on. There's no compulsion or penalty for refusal.
Don't ask, don't tell.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post

The problem is that their names will be in a database for refusal; which is working it's way to include the entire adult population. Can they say to no that they do not want their vaccination status to be included in any database?

Old 11-19-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
From your link:
Tdap or Td-"Persons aged 11 years or older who have not received Tdap vaccine or for whom vaccine status is unknown should receive a dose of Tdap followed by tetanus and diphtheria toxoids (Td) booster doses every 10 years thereafter. Tdap can be administered regardless of interval since the most recent tetanus or diphtheria-toxoid containing vaccine."
So a dose of Tdap if never had one, then Td every 10 years.

Varicella-:"All adults without evidence of immunity to varicella (as defined below) should receive 2 doses of single-antigen varicella vaccine or a second dose if they have received only 1 dose. Evidence of immunity to varicella in adults includes any of the following:

documentation of 2 doses of varicella vaccine at least 4 weeks apart;
U.S.-born before 1980, except health care personnel and pregnant women;
history of varicella based on diagnosis or verification of varicella disease by a health care provider;
history of herpes zoster based on diagnosis or verification of herpes zoster disease by a health care provider; or
laboratory evidence of immunity or laboratory confirmation of disease."

So, being born before 1980 (includes most veterans); history of the disease verified by a health care provider; history of shingles, or laboratory evidence of immunity all exempt one from the vaccine.

MMR-"Adults born before 1957 are generally considered immune to measles and mumps. All adults born in 1957 or later should have documentation of 1 or more doses of MMR vaccine unless they have a medical contraindication to the vaccine or laboratory evidence of immunity to each of the three diseases. Documentation of provider-diagnosed disease is not considered acceptable evidence of immunity for measles, mumps, or rubella."Most people will qualify by either being born before 1957 or having had at least one dose of the vaccine. They can also get a titer if they think they might have either had the disease or been vaccinated but have no record.

Shingles-"A single dose of zoster vaccine is recommended for adults aged 60 years or older regardless of whether they report a prior episode of herpes zoster. Although the vaccine is licensed by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for use among and can be administered to persons aged 50 years or older, ACIP recommends that vaccination begin at age 60 years."

Pneumonia-In general "When indicated, only a single dose of PCV13 is recommended for adults.
No additional dose of PPSV23 is indicated for adults vaccinated with PPSV23 at or after age 65 years."

Lots of detail about this disease for adults 19-64, to wit: Adults aged 19 through 64 years with immunocompromising conditions or anatomical or functional asplenia (defined below); Adults aged 19 through 64 years with cerebrospinal fluid leaks or cochlear implants; Adults aged 19 through 64 years with chronic heart disease (including congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathies, excluding hypertension), chronic lung disease (including chronic obstructive lung disease, emphysema, and asthma), chronic liver disease (including cirrhosis), alcoholism, or diabetes mellitus: Administer PPSV23.
Adults aged 19 through 64 years who smoke cigarettes or reside in nursing home or long-term care facilities: Administer PPSV23."
Mod note: Govt. website My notes in teal.

Yes, to ensure. So it's not missed. (I wish my dad had gotten a pneumonia vaccination. No one ever recommended it to him. He nearly died of pneumonia. He did not get his care through the VA.) The VA probably wasn't thinking of anti-vaxers when they wrote this, or they would have worded it more carefully. Not a big problem with their clients, I'd wager.
Iraq/Afgan War Vets can certainly have been born after 1980. Vets are not just old people. Many/most probably had chicken pox and would not be going to their pediatricians any longer to "prove" they had the disease. Oh, as the CDC says, it cannot HURT to get the vax even if you had the disease and don't want to jump through hoops proving that you did, whether a Vet or not.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:21 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,274,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
It is improved access to Obeyance Squads.
This is a sad and awful statement. Sad that they are defending your rights to say this...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies