Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 01:36 PM

52,276 posts, read 52,700,922 times

Advertisements

I think it's just a different mindset and how they were raised differently from Gen X. Gen Y kids are probably some of the most spoiled and self entitled lot that's come up. I get that each generation tends to be a bit more spoiled then the last and I say this without any hostility toward them. When we were growing up we didn't have any of this "helicopter parenting" thing goin on, we were told to go out and play and basically shut up when grown folks are talking. Now, it's the kids this the kids that, they are way way too much in the center of things. When we had family gatherings or parties it was leave the adults alone and go play in the back yard, adult time was more respected and observed.

They also came up in a time of everyone gets a trophy mentality. Life just doesn't work that way, in real life you got a bit of competition, competition for jobs, competition for everything, kids now are too soft and wussy, and trust me, I'm not a macho chest beater, but even just looking at some of the young guys, they way the stand, the way they carry themselves, way way too emo and what's with this metrosexual stuff, I mean some guys are softer and sweeter than the girls, I think that girls are getting more macho and the guys are getting wimpier.

I think all of this sorta contributes to this "let's not offend anyone" mentality, they might start crying if you have countering views. This is probably where all of this limiting offensive language comes from, and on that note who decides what is "offensive" language.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:40 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I think it's just a different mindset and how they were raised differently from Gen X. Gen Y kids are probably some of the most spoiled and self entitled lot that's come up. I get that each generation tends to be a bit more spoiled then the last and I say this without any hostility toward them. When we were growing up we didn't have any of this "helicopter parenting" thing goin on, we were told to go out and play and basically shut up when grown folks are talking. Now, it's the kids this the kids that, they are way way too much in the center of things. When we had family gatherings or parties it was leave the adults alone and go play in the back yard, adult time was more respected and observed.

They also came up in a time of everyone gets a trophy mentality. Life just doesn't work that way, in real life you got a bit of competition, competition for jobs, competition for everything, kids now are too soft and wussy, and trust me, I'm not a macho chest beater, but even just looking at some of the young guys, they way the stand, the way they carry themselves, way way too emo and what's with this metrosexual stuff, I mean some guys are softer and sweeter than the girls, I think that girls are getting more macho and the guys are getting wimpier.

I think all of this sorta contributes to this "let's not offend anyone" mentality, they might start crying if you have countering views. This is probably where all of this limiting offensive language comes from, and on that note who decides what is "offensive" language.
IMO this has less to do with generations and more to do with a reversion to the mean -- in the sense that social norms in Europe and America are slowly becoming more similar. Today's millenials have far more communication with their cohorts around the world, thanks to the internet.

The statistics show that in countries like Germany and Italy, ~60-70% of the population thinks the government should control speech, and it is the millenials who are most supportive of free-speech.

In the United States the trend is reversed, where millenials oppose free speech relative to the older generations.

In other words, the Pew study suggests that European young people are becoming "More American" , and American young people are becoming "More european."

Old 04-16-2016, 01:48 PM

52,276 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
IMO this has less to do with generations and more to do with a reversion to the mean -- in the sense that social norms in Europe and America are slowly becoming more similar. Today's millenials have far more communication with their cohorts around the world, thanks to the internet.

The statistics show that in countries like Germany and Italy, ~60-70% of the population thinks the government should control speech, and it is the millenials who are most supportive of free-speech.

In the United States the trend is reversed, where millenials oppose free speech relative to the older generations.

In other words, European young people are becoming "More American" , and American young people are becoming "More european."

This could very well be true. I still think it's "getting soft" element too and being overly PC and overly worried about offending people.

I'm not a fan of a lot of stuff I hear and see and groups like the Westboro Baptist church just make my skin crawl, but unfortunately that's the side effect of having the first amendment, you can say and think stupid stuff. I don't even want to say some of the vile stuff that that group says, but they have the right to think some of the ignorant stuff they say and do.

Old 04-16-2016, 02:34 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
What will more likely happen is they will grow up and become conservative like most of us do once we realize how foolish draconian liberalism really is. Then, their kids and grandkids will be the current crop of useful idiots for the left and will blame the millennials for everything.
I'm over 60 guess I never grew up --

Old 04-16-2016, 03:04 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Maybe we need a law for offensive Millennials?

Old 04-16-2016, 06:42 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
My personal mellennials (my adult children) have both had issues with their peers getting mad or offended at them going back to high school. I didn't know why at the time and either did they, but I'm kind of proud that they have been personally fighting this since they were teens without even knowing it. They are now some of the most unfiltered, unpc people you will ever meet although, like me, they know when to go along to get along when they have to but no longer care about losing friends over it.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:24 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
There is this pesky thing called the 1st Amendment. That won't fade away anytime soon.

Hasn't stopped them either....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies