Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 06:38 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,556,787 times

Advertisements

Hey OP, you're in great company with Michael Moore.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:45 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,336,386 times
It happened. I know first responders who were there, I have a family member that went to school with Adam Lanza.

It's so beyond disgusting that the families of those murdered have to be subjected to this insanity.

I'm honestly shocked CD has let this thread go on, considering they locked one about this the other day.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:22 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Oh yeah. To the tune of harassing the parents of the dead children in person, and making some truly horrific accusations.

Its one of the more offensive conspiracy theories.
Some of these crackpots are beyond shame. At one of the early 911 anniversaries at the WTC, I saw a conspiracy nut call an elderly woman who had lost her son (they wore big badges with the picture and name) "just a shill for Cheney". To her credit, she turned and replied,"IDIOT!" and then walked away.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:44 AM

46,964 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Hey OP, you're in great company with Michael Moore.
Michael Moore is a bit of an insufferable blowhard, but I've never heard him hint that Sandy Hook was staged. I know there was some sort of controversy about photo release, but for him to call the events faked - that is a new one on me. Do you have a link?

Old 11-24-2015, 10:53 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
It happened. I know first responders who were there, I have a family member that went to school with Adam Lanza.

It's so beyond disgusting that the families of those murdered have to be subjected to this insanity.

I'm honestly shocked CD has let this thread go on, considering they locked one about this the other day.
It's very bizarre and a strange phenomena. In my hometown in NJ, maybe 80 miles from Newtown, lives a man whose niece was one of the kids killed. Near my current town in NJ, near the shore, playgrounds rebuilt after the Sandy Storm were named for children who died at Sandy Hook school, and the families attended the dedications. Do the people who so desperately need this to have been a conspiracy think that it goes on and on to that degree, where people in random towns in other states pretend to everyone that their niece was killed or that fake people show up for playground dedications several years after the events, just to keep the story going?

The "it's a plot to take away our guns!" story doesn't hold water, because no guns are being taken away. I'm in NJ, a state with some of the strictest gun laws ever, and tons of people have guns and there are shootings all the time.

There has to be another reason for the conspiracy game, and all I can think of is mental illness. I remember reading a book by a psychiatrist who said the most untreatable types are the paranoid. They may, for example, believe the FBI is watching them through their television set. You can take the TV apart and hand them piece by piece, but they will still hang on tight to that belief that the FBI is watching them through the television set. These conspiracy groups seem to be like that, only on a sort of mass hysteria scale.

It's interesting, though a bit disturbing.

Old 11-24-2015, 12:22 PM

46,964 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There has to be another reason for the conspiracy game, and all I can think of is mental illness. I remember reading a book by a psychiatrist who said the most untreatable types are the paranoid. They may, for example, believe the FBI is watching them through their television set. You can take the TV apart and hand them piece by piece, but they will still hang on tight to that belief that the FBI is watching them through the television set. These conspiracy groups seem to be like that, only on a sort of mass hysteria scale.

It's interesting, though a bit disturbing.
I can see how it must be a tempting proposition, if you feel frightened and powerless: Divide the world into the evildoers, the enlightened and the ignorant, then put yourself among the enlightened. "You may not have a hope in H.ll, but at least you've got a clue", as the song goes.

Which is why people defend their pet theories far beyond logic - it's not just a matter of admitting facts, it's matter of giving up what little control you feel you've gained. There's an obvious emotional attachment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies