Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 01:06 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times

Advertisements

Roughly a third of Americans consider themselves "born again" or evangelical Christian. However, I would imagine far less than that would fall under the umbrella that I consider radical. Radicals are the people freaking out over red Starbucks cups and are able to find something to scream "persecution" about in everything. Here is some of the criteria that I believe indicates a radical evangelical.

-Believes in one-way separation of church and state i.e. the First Amendment intended to keep the government out of the church but not the church out of the government
-Hard stance against gay marriage that usually includes encouraging civil disobedience to protest it (i.e. Kim Davis)
-May believe homosexuality should be a capital crime or at least passively tolerant to the idea
-Either outright denies climate change or believes it to be a necessary precursor to the end-times
-Believes young earth creationism should be taught alongside or in place of evolution in public school science classes
-Believes public school should start each morning with the Pledge of Allegiance and a Christian prayer
-Supports the "quiverfull movement" and homeschooling; Opposes women in the workplace
-Believes the Republican Party has been ordained by God to save America from the atheists, gays, and liberals. Opposing Republicans is in essence opposing God himself
-Supports censorship of the airwaves and entertainment industry to force entertainment back to 1950s morality standards (Leave it to Beaver, I Love Lucy, Andy Griffith)

These people are the base of the Republican Party and who all the Presidential candidates are trying to pander to. What percentage of the overall population do they actually make up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 01:07 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 28 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,133,597 times
stopped reading at climate change

Old 11-25-2015, 01:14 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Roughly a third of Americans consider themselves "born again" or evangelical Christian. However, I would imagine far less than that would fall under the umbrella that I consider radical. Radicals are the people freaking out over red Starbucks cups and are able to find something to scream "persecution" about in everything. Here is some of the criteria that I believe indicates a radical evangelical.

-Believes in one-way separation of church and state i.e. the First Amendment intended to keep the government out of the church but not the church out of the government
-Hard stance against gay marriage that usually includes encouraging civil disobedience to protest it (i.e. Kim Davis)
-May believe homosexuality should be a capital crime or at least passively tolerant to the idea
-Either outright denies climate change or believes it to be a necessary precursor to the end-times
-Believes young earth creationism should be taught alongside or in place of evolution in public school science classes
-Believes public school should start each morning with the Pledge of Allegiance and a Christian prayer
-Supports the "quiverfull movement" and homeschooling; Opposes women in the workplace
-Believes the Republican Party has been ordained by God to save America from the atheists, gays, and liberals. Opposing Republicans is in essence opposing God himself
-Supports censorship of the airwaves and entertainment industry to force entertainment back to 1950s morality standards (Leave it to Beaver, I Love Lucy, Andy Griffith)

These people are the base of the Republican Party and who all the Presidential candidates are trying to pander to. What percentage of the overall population do they actually make up?
I'd say the percentage believing ALL those things is small, maybe 5%. But if you believe any 1 or 2 of those, the neoconservative Republican party is the only place to go where those ideas will be fostered. That's why they have done so well at assembling and motivating a diverse base. It's also why the party is cracking at the seams with internal divisions.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:19 PM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:

Based on your conditions, about .000000000001%. But about 33% of voters will be swayed by Evangelical values.

Old 11-25-2015, 03:27 PM

59,056 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:

"I believe"

What makes you think what you believe is important enough to start a post on your beliefs?

Old 11-25-2015, 03:32 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Based on your conditions, about .000000000001%. But about 33% of voters will be swayed by Evangelical values.
Do those so-called 'values' include showing more outrage over red Starbucks cups than over bloody, wasteful, needless wars of choice?

Old 11-25-2015, 03:33 PM

998 posts, read 665,261 times
Is there a point to any of this or are you just thinking to yourself?

Old 11-25-2015, 03:39 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,700,609 times
Quote:
Roughly a third of Americans consider themselves "born again" or evangelical Christian. However, I would imagine far less than that would fall under the umbrella that I consider radical... < snip > ...
Therein lies the problem. There is no definition; everyone has their own idea of what they 'consider' to be radical, just like you.

Old 11-25-2015, 05:59 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:

I would estimate that the number of people meeting all your criteria is roughly the same as the number of "moderate rebel" fighters trained in Syria by the Obama Administration.

Old 11-25-2015, 06:01 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Total thread fail.

But tell your OFA employer you tried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies