Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 06:51 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Advertisements

The lessons learned by the Federal Government, before, during and after the Civil War:

1.) We the Federal Government cannot trust the States, much less the people.
2.) The US Constitution that chains down the power of the Federal Government, can be broken if the government wishes.
3.) Militias and State armies crated by militias, are counter productive to the Federal Governments actions to break or alter the Constitution.
4. The People have way too much power over the Government.

Since the Civil War, things changed drastically in the transfer of power from the people, to the Federal Government.

Today, the Federal government has so much control over the people, there is no way to fight back. Not even with words, or blood.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:52 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Seems to me it taught potential rebels a lesson. Well, those can be thought anything at all.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:03 PM

21,136 posts, read 19,714,475 times
I think the lesson learned was that it would have been better for the North to let the South secede. The tremendous loss of life was not justified.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:12 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I think the lesson learned was that it would have been better for the North to let the South secede. The tremendous loss of life was not justified.
If a group wants to break away from the union they shouldn't be allowed to take an inch of American real estate with them.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:19 PM

21,136 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
If a group wants to break away from the union they shouldn't be allowed to take an inch of American real estate with them.
But at the time, the United States wasn't what it is today. Most of the western states hadn't been established. There was talk of expansion into Mexico and the Caribbean. Even today we have territories like Puerto Rico, Guam, and Samoa which are "American real estate" but are not considered fully part of the USA.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:20 PM

138 posts, read 93,869 times
Quote:

A powerful federal government is needed to prevent something like the civil war from happening again…
Would you care to quote the part of the constitution that says states can't secede from the union?

Old 11-28-2015, 08:23 PM

138 posts, read 93,869 times
Quote:
But at the time, the United States wasn't what it is today. Most of the western states hadn't been established. There was talk of expansion into Mexico and the Caribbean. Even today we have territories like Puerto Rico, Guam, and Samoa which are "American real estate" but are not considered fully part of the USA.
Yes, a Civil War today would occur under much different circumstances. A good argument can be made that it was fought over the expansion of slavery, not its abolition. Today there are few areas that the U.S can expand into, despite the claims of those who think that we oversee an empire.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
When I mention American real estate I'm talking about the 50 states. Not territories...

And America is always changing and will continue to change constantly...

Old 11-28-2015, 08:27 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
The government learned a lot from the Civil War. Below are some of the key points they learned:
  1. Rednecks are all talk and they quit when the going gets tough
  2. Civil rights are greater than state’s rights
  3. A well-armed and trained militia can’t defeat a professional standing army
  4. Amendments to the constitution become part of the constitution

A powerful federal government is needed to prevent something like the civil war from happening again…
It also teaches this.

Some people will declare secession over the fear of something being done away with. It shows that the elites of the South did not think rationally.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meow667 View Post
Would you care to quote the part of the constitution that says states can't secede from the union?
Nope, because I don't allow people to put words in my mouth. I know what the constitution says and what it doesn't. If I was quoting the constitution you would have noticed quotations...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies