Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 05:35 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,186,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark park View Post
okay, i hear you and i think i understand your point of view.

I live in west philly and we have a lot of immigrants who sometimes wear their traditional garb on the street and i must say it looks charming and even festive. African women wearing colorful patterned dresses and matching turbans. Indian women wearing gorgeous sarees. Cuban guys wearing guayabera shirts. I like living in a international tolerant city.

Now, i am not muslim ... But i believe many if not most observant muslim women are required to wear a headscarf as a sign of modesty. Just like they are required to eat food permitted by halal standards. If people in america have "religious liberty" should they be forced to go against their religious beliefs because you don't like it?

More precisely: Should an orthodox jew give up wearing a yarmulke - even though that is a requirement of his religious beliefs? It's the same thing!

I have neighbors who are mennonites and amish. The amish women wear long dresses in subdued colors with sleeves and little lace caps on their head. Are you against the amish? It's the same thing!

What are you saying? People don't have the right to dress according to their religious beliefs?

It strikes me as an argument for conformity.

if the headscarf is a symbol of oppression to muslim women, what about the whole get up catholic nuns wear - the habit, wimple, etc.? Or traditional hindu women who wear the saree? Or how about mormons who traditionally wear strange and restrictive underwear? Or sikh men who wear a turban and a steel bracelet?

religious customs may be archaic or even silly, but i cannot and will not judge my neighbors in their choice to practice their religion.
amen!!!

Old 11-30-2015, 05:37 PM

4,095 posts, read 2,566,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Okay, I hear you and I think I understand your point of view.

I live in West Philly and we have a lot of immigrants who sometimes wear their traditional garb on the street and I must say it looks charming and even festive. African women wearing colorful patterned dresses and matching turbans. Indian women wearing gorgeous sarees. Cuban guys wearing Guayabera shirts. I like living in a international tolerant city.

Now, I am not Muslim ... but I believe many if not most observant Muslim women are required to wear a headscarf as a sign of modesty. Just like they are required to eat food permitted by Halal standards. If people in America have "religious liberty" should they be forced to go against their religious beliefs because you don't like it?

More precisely: should an Orthodox Jew give up wearing a yarmulke - even though that is a requirement of his religious beliefs? It's the same thing!

I have neighbors who are Mennonites and Amish. The Amish women wear long dresses in subdued colors with sleeves and little lace caps on their head. Are you against the Amish? It's the same thing!

What are you saying? People don't have the right to dress according to their religious beliefs?

It strikes me as an argument for conformity.

If the headscarf is a symbol of oppression to Muslim women, what about the whole get up Catholic nuns wear - the habit, wimple, etc.? Or traditional Hindu women who wear the saree? Or how about Mormons who traditionally wear strange and restrictive underwear? Or Sikh men who wear a turban and a steel bracelet?

Religious customs may be archaic or even silly, but I cannot and will not judge my neighbors in their choice to practice their religion.
I am an immigrant myself, and I would say majority of my friends are immigrants from many different countries, and many have some sort of traditional garb in their closet.

Do they have the right to wear it in US, Yes, should they, in my opinion; NO.

Again, I believe in living by the culture of my host country.

On the Islamic hijab, it is a symbol of oppression because millions of Muslim women are 'forced' to wear it (and in this particular case the one she wore was ugly as sh*t). Other religious symbols you mention do not have the same history of oppression.

Old 11-30-2015, 05:40 PM

78,423 posts, read 60,613,724 times
I'm especially saddened by the fact that what this lone jerk did is not only legal in parts of the world....you can get a job doing it.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:01 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post

It is only going to get worse, before it gets better.

Evil is among us.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:18 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
English isn't his first language, I believe he's an immigrant from another country.
You are the immigrant. Let me translate for those whose first language is not English.

Assault me, you will die.

Aren't we much smarter now?

Old 11-30-2015, 06:21 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,313,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
You are the immigrant. Let me translate for those whose first language is not English.

Assault me, you will die.

Aren't we much smarter now?
Yeah, you're a real tough guy, cupcake.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:21 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Is this an example of karma or what goes around comes around? They attack and kill us, it's not terribly surprising that the same may happen to them, especially when dressed in muslim attire. Not saying it's right, of course, but it would not happen if muslims were truly the peaceful people that some would claim.
Ed you have it wrong. You are not one of us! You said "They attack and kill us".
Nor am i one of us! And we never will be in our lifetime. They have just backed off Black people for awhile ad dissing people like me get it behind closed doors.

According to my former employer and thousands of Midwesterners any Black man might be a good guy but they are still a ****** and any gimp/crippled/handicapped person is a God dammed cripple!

I hope i don't get in trouble, because i mean no offense.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
Yeah, you're a real tough guy, cupcake.
You got it, slick.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Will you be packing a gun fRom the IRON PIPELINE?
The what?

Old 11-30-2015, 06:32 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
That thug who attacked her sounded wild, and, apparently, she has a history of assault and bizarre behavior. I bet the victim now regrets having "stood up to confront" her. She should have stayed seated or moved.

Sometimes it's best to ignore some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies