Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?
Merry Christmas 57 52.29%
Happy Holidays 27 24.77%
I like pie 25 22.94%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 08:25 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Has that ever, once, in the history of retail shopping, actually happened?
Seriously.

When has anyone been "sued" for saying "merry Christmas"?

This is basically people wanting something to whine and whimper about so they get a little attention and feel special.

Don't worry. You're special snowflakes. You don't have to invent some weird sort of oppression. You already ARE special. Just for being you. Okay?

Better?

I am so glad you are you.

Now stop making sh*t up and go do your homework.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 08:37 PM

805 posts, read 1,085,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrekMitPfeffer View Post
The U.S is not a Christian nation. We are not a theocracy, therefore we do not have one religion to force onto everybody. Now, unless you're in a Christian place (Ex: Christian school, church, Christian store, etc) you can't guarantee the religion (or lack of) of random people. If you're in public and wish to greet someone with the upcoming holidays, just assume that they're not Christian and give them a friendly "Happy Holidays". Everybody celebrates a holiday over the break. Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, New Years, The Winter Solstice, etc.

Just be polite and stop whining about your "war on Christmas".
"Merry Christmas" doesn't necessarily mean that we're referencing the birth of Christ. For many, that is the case, but even non-Christians can get in the Christmas spirit, can't they? I mean, that's what being "Merry" is all about. By wishing someone a "Merry Christmas," I'm wishing they have a day filled with joy, love, peace, and a little more than usual goodwill towards their fellow man. What is so offensive about that? And even if the recipient chooses not to celebrate Christmas, he/she can politely nod and go about the day. Problem solved!

Old 12-21-2015, 08:42 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfanatic85 View Post
"Merry Christmas" doesn't necessarily mean that we're referencing the birth of Christ. For many, that is the case, but even non-Christians can get in the Christmas spirit, can't they? I mean, that's what being "Merry" is all about. By wishing someone a "Merry Christmas," I'm wishing they have a day filled with joy, love, peace, and a little more than usual goodwill towards their fellow man. What is so offensive about that? And even if the recipient chooses not to celebrate Christmas, he/she can politely nod and go about the day. Problem solved!
I will be polite to all who wish me a Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays. Problem solved.

I'm sick and tired of a certain set of Christians trying to FORCE everyone into saying "Merry Christmas'.

I'll say what I want and if you (the universal 'you') - don't like it, then too damn bad.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:46 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I will be polite to all who wish me a Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays. Problem solved.

I'm sick and tired of a certain set of Christians trying to FORCE everyone into saying "Merry Christmas'.

I'll say what I want and if you (the universal 'you') - don't like it, then too damn bad.
Well said.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:12 PM

35,704 posts, read 21,070,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
It doesn't matter.
If someone says Merry Christmas, I say Merry Christmas back.
If someone says Happy holidays, I say Happy holidays back.
If I'm the one initiating, I say Merry Christmas to people who I know are Christian.
If I don't know what their religion is, I say Happy holidays.

I have more important things to worry about than the method in which I wish someone well.

an adult in the midst!!

Old 12-21-2015, 09:26 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,873,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrekMitPfeffer View Post
The U.S is not a Christian nation. We are not a theocracy, therefore we do not have one religion to force onto everybody. Now, unless you're in a Christian place (Ex: Christian school, church, Christian store, etc) you can't guarantee the religion (or lack of) of random people. If you're in public and wish to greet someone with the upcoming holidays, just assume that they're not Christian and give them a friendly "Happy Holidays". Everybody celebrates a holiday over the break. Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, New Years, The Winter Solstice, etc.

Just be polite and stop whining about your "war on Christmas".
There are coordinated zealous exertions going on here.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:28 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,873,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
It doesn't matter.
If someone says Merry Christmas, I say Merry Christmas back.
If someone says Happy holidays, I say Happy holidays back.
If I'm the one initiating, I say Merry Christmas to people who I know are Christian.
If I don't know what their religion is, I say Happy holidays.

I have more important things to worry about than the method in which I wish someone well.
Socially incorrect would be, Happy Whatever!

Old 12-21-2015, 11:16 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,655 times
I do think all this hoopla over being politically correct is changing things around here. Last week at the mall, where they definitely cash in over this "holiday", there were very few decorations. Just a few banners hanging from the ceiling.

Today at a big chain restaurant there were hardly any decorations. The cow on the wall had a santa hat perched on top. There were 2 pointsettias on the bar top. A support pole at the cashier had a string of lights that was half burned out.

We do have a couple other religions beside Christian ones, but they are in the minority around here. Still, it looks way different than previous years. I think people are just afraid to do something wrong and get in some sort of trouble.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:53 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Interesting article on the secularization of Christmas:

"An alternative Christmas narrative first took center stage in American culture with the popular music of the ’40s, when secularized holiday songs started dominating the airwaves during December."

How Popular Music Secularized Christmas - The Daily Beast

Old 12-22-2015, 07:59 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,140,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
I do think all this hoopla over being politically correct is changing things around here. Last week at the mall, where they definitely cash in over this "holiday", there were very few decorations. Just a few banners hanging from the ceiling.

Today at a big chain restaurant there were hardly any decorations. The cow on the wall had a santa hat perched on top. There were 2 pointsettias on the bar top. A support pole at the cashier had a string of lights that was half burned out.

We do have a couple other religions beside Christian ones, but they are in the minority around here. Still, it looks way different than previous years. I think people are just afraid to do something wrong and get in some sort of trouble.
I think it's those who are trying to force people to say "Merry Christmas" who are enforcing political correctness. Should we not have the freedom to say what we want, or nothing at all? We have to worry about a few Christians, who mistakenly think they're being oppressed?

The rest of us think you can say whatever you'd like. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays-- It's all cool. Except with this bunch of politically correct Christians who want to force everyone to celebrate as they do.

If you think the Starbucks red cups aren't Christmassy enough, you're enforcing your own brand of PC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies