Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 12:20 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
We only had 4? According to what definition of mass-shooting?

A mass-shooting is an incident where 4 or more people get shot. The article inserts the "not while committing another crime" in order to manipulate the numbers. Why would the exclude the situations where a crime was involved?

Norway shooter was committing another crime, so why did they count it anyway?

Sure, if you exclude 98% of our mass shooting, then we look pretty good.
According to the definition given by the FBI, which until this year was how everyone, including liberals, measured the number of mass shootings. The 355 number you are quoting includes incidents which nobody with any sense would include, and is a compilation put together by an antigun Reddit community named GunsAreCool. In other words, the statistics are stretched.

I know 355 sounds better to the antigun crowd which can't seem to let a perceived crisis go to waste even if they have to lie about it, but it isn't based in reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 12:37 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,302,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
According to the definition given by the FBI, which until this year was how everyone, including liberals, measured the number of mass shootings. The 355 number you are quoting includes incidents which nobody with any sense would include, and is a compilation put together by an antigun Reddit community named GunsAreCool. In other words, the statistics are stretched.

I know 355 sounds better to the antigun crowd which can't seem to let a perceived crisis go to waste even if they have to lie about it, but it isn't based in reality.
Given the developments of the past 20 years, the Anti-Gun-At-Any-Cost people are best at digging their own hole ever deeper and deeper.

The number of legally owned guns, the number of Shall-Issue states, and the number of concealed carry permit holders are all sharply up while the murder rate is sharply down compared to 1991. More and more people are seeing the difference between their propaganda and real life stats.

Even my wife, who's been fairly anti-gun for most of her life (but is also excellent in interpreting data and seeing right through BS presentations and getting the real picture) commented on just how much fact twisting, propaganda, and outright lies is going on on the Anti-Gun side. Although she thinks it's because most liberally minded people are awful with math At least she's honest enough to agree that the FBI statistics support my position even though she is uncomfortable with guns herself.

Oh and by the way, I think "stretched" above was putting it too nice; "twisted, manipulated and misrepresented" is much more accurate.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:39 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
The number is factually correct. Just because you do not like it, doesn't mean it is anti-gun cool aid.
LOL, it includes a couple of kids with a pellet gun.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:44 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
The number is factually correct. Just because you do not like it, doesn't mean it is anti-gun cool aid.
It's only correct if you use your definition of mass shootings. And yes, it is anti gun koolaid. It's designed to create a headline that creates the perception that we have mass shootings on a daily basis.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:49 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
It is not my definition, nor do I have an agenda. How would you define a mass shooting? Why would you exclude mass shootings between gangs for example?
I'm not even sure why we need to count something called "mass shootings". But yes, I would count shootings between gangs quite separately from shootings such as San Bernardino where somebody kills a bunch of people who are minding their own business in a public place. And I certainly wouldn't count pellet gun shootings.

So why do we need to count mass shootings? And how about "Mass killings with fertilizer?" Where does that get counted.

Frankly, I don't think we have a mass shooting problem. If we exclude gangs killing each other and BB or pellet gun shootings, it happens very infrequently. It doesn't even make the list of top 50 ways people die. More people are killed with knives than in true mass shootings.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:30 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Perhaps this will help:

Mass Shootings in US Increasingly Common and Deadly - ABC News

And this:

Why America Is Prone to Mass Shootings

Mmmm; 5% of the overall population but 31% of the mass shooters in the world, now that's some 'exceptionalism' you can be proud of, eh?

And this:

Why does the U.S. lead the world in mass shootings?

Imagine that; availability of firearms and worship of fame, or in these cases notoriety, are the driving causes. Distilled down it's: "look at me, look at me. I've got a gun and can do something that will result in me finally being noticed."

Definitely a good reason to put even more guns out there.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:16 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Perhaps this will help:

Mass Shootings in US Increasingly Common and Deadly - ABC News

And this:

Why America Is Prone to Mass Shootings

Mmmm; 5% of the overall population but 31% of the mass shooters in the world, now that's some 'exceptionalism' you can be proud of, eh?

And this:

Why does the U.S. lead the world in mass shootings?

Imagine that; availability of firearms and worship of fame, or in these cases notoriety, are the driving causes. Distilled down it's: "look at me, look at me. I've got a gun and can do something that will result in me finally being noticed."

Definitely a good reason to put even more guns out there.

Actually, yes, it is. When we live in a society where political correctness has forced us into a situation where people don't have any clue of how to deal with realities such as disappointment, and are willing to kill their own parents in order to obtain firearms which they can then use in an elementary school to shoot up a bunch of kids, we need to have more responsible people armed to stop the special little snowflakes. Singing Kumbaya isn't going to make them drop their gun, but if you fill in the percussion section with well timed gunshots they'll probably get the point.

Or, we can continue doing what we currently do, which is to make it difficult and/or illegal for responsible adults to defend themselves and others while waiting on the "trained professionals" who have an average response time of 10 minutes.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:09 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
Quote:
Sure seems like the opposite is true. Robberies are down more than half.

I didn't mention robberies though. I mentioned assault and sexual assault. We can also discuss rape being 3x higher in Australia then the US according to CITVAS.

What did the study done by the DOJ and FBI say about armed vs unarmed rape? I can make a safe bet you don't know.

Chance of completion of rape, unarmed: ~31%
Chance of completion of rape, armed: ~3%.
Chance of completion of stranger rape, armed: 0.1%

Old 12-10-2015, 07:13 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post

I posted several different definitions so we already know your claim is false. You are referring to an old definition of "mass murderer" vs "serial killer" where a presence of a firearm was irrelevant.

A shooting is a shooting. If you shoot many people it's a mass-shooting. This is not complicated.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 12-10-2015 at 07:26 AM..

Old 12-10-2015, 07:19 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
It's only correct if you use your definition of mass shootings. And yes, it is anti gun koolaid. It's designed to create a headline that creates the perception that we have mass shootings on a daily basis.
Quote:
I would count shootings between gangs quite separately from shootings such as San Bernardino where somebody kills a bunch of people who are minding their own business in a public place
Again, why should a gang shooting where many people get shot NOT be a shooting? What do you call such shooting if not a shooting?

Please explain.

Why not call things for what they are: shootings.

Sure seems you are the one with an agenda.

I agree with calling certain things with different terms, like the movie theater killings could be classified as "mass murder". It should not even matter what weapons was used, be it guns or bombs etc.

Gang bangers spraying a group of 10 rival gang members with Uzis is what it is, a mass-shooting.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 12-10-2015 at 07:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies