Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 12:44 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
OP is false and unsupported by the original paper.

The overwhelming majority (65+%) don't register at all.

I think the number cited is for those who do register.

Damned understanding statistics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 12:47 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,098,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Not surprising to many of us, but explains how our country has gotten so far off track.
This helps explain the inexplicable rationale behind the democrats support for someone as deeply dishonest and corrupted as Hillary.

Jail survey: 7 in 10 felons register as Democrats | Washington Examiner
How does that explain that our country has gotten off track? According to the article that you posted, many states are working to notify felons when they're right to vote has been restored, but there is little evidence to support that felons are actually returning to the polls. So really, this is meaningless trivia. Felons generally aren't voting, even in the states that think democracy should be for everyone.

Old 12-05-2015, 12:48 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I think the number cited is for those who do register.

Damned understanding statistics.
In that case the claim "70% of felons are registered as Democrats" is BS. Also, the 'study' was done in three States none of which were Republican States.

Old 12-05-2015, 12:51 PM

20,062 posts, read 20,877,739 times
Ha ha! Hysterical!
Gotta love the ripping apart and analyzing and attempts to debunk.
It is what it is.

Old 12-05-2015, 12:52 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
In that case the claim "70% of felons are registered as Democrats" is BS. Also, the 'study' was done in three States none of which were Republican States.

The headline should have read, if that's your complaint, that "70% of those felons who register to vote do so as Democrats".

That's like the constant threads about Red states getting more federal money without taking into account that many of those states have military bases or other federal activities located in them.

Old 12-05-2015, 12:52 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Anyone surprised? The poor and criminals overwhelmingly vote D. ............And they're still poor and criminals.

Inconvenient truth: most Republicans have little to offer the poor except regressive taxes, and as a poor person I am highly averse to regressive taxes. at least Republicans in Oregon aren't trying to soak me, and i vote for them.

Have you ever noticed surveys which claim that voters who pick a Libertarian candidate (actual or generic) typically break about 2-1 for the Republican if they have to choose between a D and R? Ever wonder why any libertarian-leaning voter would pick a democrat? maybe i'm projecting but i think it might have to do with taxes.

Old 12-05-2015, 12:57 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,345,484 times
But of those who do, what percentage register as Libertarian or Republican? (very few, I'd bet.)

Old 12-05-2015, 12:58 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The headline should have read, if that's your complaint, that "70% of those felons who register to vote do so as Democrats".
It could also read that less than 20% of felons register as Dems.

Old 12-05-2015, 12:59 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,098,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Ha ha! Hysterical!
Gotta love the ripping apart and analyzing and attempts to debunk.
It is what it is.
The OPs assertion is void of anything substantial.

He sites that 70% of felons are registered Democrats. I don't dispute this. Democrats want voting to be a right and tend to support social welfare programs, as most felons are generally poor because our society does not forgive people easily. I don't dispute that.

However, his claim was that this is an explanation for why our country has gotten off track. The two really can't be that connected though. According to the article he posted, many of those felons who would vote Democrat aren't, because they aren't voting, either because they are unaware that they can, they can't, or they don't want to for whatever reason. Thus, that felon Democrat voting base is almost contributing nothing to the outcome of elections.

Not to mention he doesn't' explain how our country has gotten off track or why felons registered as Democrats has an impact on that.

Indeed, it is what it is, and what is it is a poorly constructed argument that is disproved, or at least invalidated, when held up to even the slightest scrutiny but people who are only able to think in things as left or right are too far gone to recognize that.

Old 12-05-2015, 01:01 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
So. And?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies