Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2015, 04:22 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,528,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post

You may "admire" how Australia turned in their guns, but it wasn't voluntary. It was a gun grab, and was mandatory. It also didn't affect mass murders AT ALL. While shooting deaths went down, deaths by other means, such as beating, stabbing and fire, all went up. A LOT. So not only is it not a "complete" answer, it isn't even a partial answer. Because it didn't work to fix the problem, it just shifted the weapon.

?
Absolute nonsense. Homicides by all means in Australia is in steady decline and homicide (and suicide) by firearms has decreased massively. You are just making stuff up.

Regardless, The purpose of the gun buy back was an attempt to Li it the number if mass shootings which had been in the rise up to 1996. There has not been a single mass shooting since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 04:33 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,477,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
They are leaving them out. They are so paranoid that they want them in easy reach. We always had ours in a gun safe or otherwise very well hidden.
Mine are locked up. But I don't hold any thoughts of preventing them from getting in the hands of a determined theif.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Absolute nonsense. Homicides by all means in Australia is in steady decline and homicide (and suicide) by firearms has decreased massively. You are just making stuff up.

Regardless, The purpose of the gun buy back was an attempt to Li it the number if mass shootings which had been in the rise up to 1996. There has not been a single mass shooting since.
Homicide in the US has declined. The difference is the post - ban violence wave puts your standing for gun violence at about the same level as before whereas the US has had the steady decline the while time.

Australia's violent crime rates are also much higher then ours. Taking assault and sexual assault only we would add 13,000,000 and 900,000 or more crimes respectively to meet the land down under rates.

Sorry, I am unwilling to add 2.2 million crimes just with 2 statistics I know of to have a negligible effect on 300,000 gun crimes while putting more Americans at risk because their defensive arms were taken away.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Your Google machine must be broken. There were not ZERO shootings after 1996, there were 4 resulting in 13 deaths.

The number of killings by other means also skyrocketed.

Number of mass killings by fire prior to 1996 - 1 resulting in 15 deaths

Number of mass killings by fire after 1996 - 4 resulting 171 deaths

Number of mass killings by acid prior to 1996 - 0

Number of mass killings by acid after 1996 - 1 resulting in 12 deaths
Gee, I thought your previous post was stupid, this one really takes the cake. Your deaths by Fire number is attributable to the Black Saturday fires, which were a series of approximately 400 bush fires due to extreme weather and bush fire conditions. Many People died as a result of these 400 odd fires. A few of these 400 fires were suspected of being deliberately lit.

Now, mass killings by acid is truly laughable. It is akin to saying serial killers who bury their victims in the woods committed mass murder by burial. The case you so poorly analysed by skimming through a Wikipedia list was the Snowtown murders in South Australia where serial killers disposed of their victims (who were shot or strangled)by putting them in barrels filled with acid.

No matter how much stuff you make up, or how woefully you misinterpret information, the Australian laws have been perfectly effective to date in achieving their purpose.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Mine are locked up. But I don't hold any thoughts of preventing them from getting in the hands of a determined theif.

Homicide in the US has declined. The difference is the post - ban violence wave puts your standing for gun violence at about the same level as before whereas the US has had the steady decline the while time.

Australia's violent crime rates are also much higher then ours. Taking assault and sexual assault only we would add 13,000,000 and 900,000 or more crimes respectively to meet the land down under rates.

Sorry, I am unwilling to add 2.2 million crimes just with 2 statistics I know of to have a negligible effect on 300,000 gun crimes while putting more Americans at risk because their defensive arms were taken away.
The purpose of the laws was to prevent mass shootings. It has worked perfectly.

Beyond that gun crime and murder has also continued to decline. It's great that yours has too, though nothing to be really proud of that you are now down to extreme levels from really really extreme.

Old 12-13-2015, 05:12 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,934,471 times
I suspect that our crime levels are down due to the amount of guns now in the hands of good citizens , presents more of a threat to the criminal element .
And the more Americans that take responsibility for their own security, the more of a threat it will be in the future for the corrupt government to abuse the people as well , which is the reason the second amendment was written.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:23 AM

11,148 posts, read 10,721,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Scary "looking" guns? Why is it so easy to obtain those scary "looking" guns? Sure, people get killed with other weapons, I still don't know why society needs assault weapons for hunting.

There are many in my family in law enforcement and the Military, and it seems that they have more knowledge and respect for guns, and how to handle them.

If everyone respected human life and the use of weapons, what a wonderful world we would have. Just my thoughts. If you are a hunter, does not seem like much left of the animal, if you kill it with an automatic gun. What's the purpose.

A protected species, for now? What is that supposed to mean. We still live in a "free," society and have the "right," to speak. Talk about emotions.
Once again, because you seem to be either missing or ignoring the posts which tried to clarify the issue for you, automatic weapons are not readily available to the public. There are massive amounts of paperwork involved in even being able to purchase them, along with taxes and regulations that must be followed.

The "assault weapons" you are so upset about are semiautomatic rifles which function the exact same way as the average hunting rifle found at Academy Sports. The difference between the two is in the cosmetics of them. Out of all firearms homicides, rifles accounted for 325 in 2012. That's ALL rifles, including so-called "assault weapons". Exactly why do we need controls on "assault weapons" when their impact on crime is so small as to be nearly unmeasurable?

If you have so many law enforcement and military in your family, perhaps you should have some of the more knowledgeable among them explain the functioning parts of firearms to you over the holidays.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:27 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,872,615 times
Quote:
Emotions? I think when a nutcase comes into your neighborhood and starts shooting everyone in sight; that does conjure up emotions. My heart is breaking for the victims and families, here in Colorado Springs, and all over the country and world, where innocent people are going about their daily lives, minding their own business and get shot to death.

when things like rampage shootings happen, my heart also goes out to the victims and their families, its normal. but in order to figure out what needs to be done to prevent more shootings, we need to be dispassionate and clear thinking to prevent more problems in the future. when laws are made when emotions are running high, then bad law is most often made because no one is thinking clearly.
Quote:
The reality, as I see it,(with my somewhat clouded mind) is that too many are dying; and there must be something we can do. Should we just standby and let the innocent die? I don't have the answers, but there must be solutions somewhere.
Quote:

yes too many are dying, but lets look at it shall we? how many die from cancer or heart disease these days? in traffic accidents? those three categories dwarf the number of murders in this country by a huge amount, and we have been concentrating on those for decades, and barely a dent made in those statistics.
Quote:
I am not for a gun BAN, I am for gun CONTROL.
i too am for gun control, i generally hit the nine and ten rings regularly. but you are not talking about gun control but rather criminal control. stop blaming the tool and blame the people wielding the tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I'm not sure this is consistent in every state, but I'd like to see stiff penalties for irresponsible storage of firearms. My state has very liberal firearms laws, and I'm okay with that, because I support the Constitution. That said, people aren't securing their weapons and the local PD says that most of the guns used in felonies were stolen from people's houses.

Little kids keep shooting themselves as well. Secure them like grown ups, or don't have them, people.
what we need to do is teach children about firearms and firearm safety. teach them that guns are NOT toys to play with, but rather tools that need to be respected. thats what my father did with us when we were young, and we never shot anyone accidentally growing up.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:01 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,377,088 times
Quote:
Scary "looking" guns? Why is it so easy to obtain those scary "looking" guns? Sure, people get killed with other weapons, I still don't know why society needs assault weapons for hunting.

There are many in my family in law enforcement and the Military, and it seems that they have more knowledge and respect for guns, and how to handle them.

If everyone respected human life and the use of weapons, what a wonderful world we would have. Just my thoughts. If you are a hunter, does not seem like much left of the animal, if you kill it with an automatic gun. What's the purpose.

A protected species, for now? What is that supposed to mean. We still live in a "free," society and have the "right," to speak. Talk about emotions.
So how many people are killed by "scary" looking guns per year? You don't know, do you. More people die smoking pot and driving than are killed in the US by "assault weapons". You're probably all for the legalization of marijuana though, right?

All you're doing is proving you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. None what so ever. NO ONE hunts with an automatic weapon, period. Do you have any idea how hard it is to get one in the first place? Of course not, you have no idea what the law is. Do you know how expensive automatic weapons are? Of course not, you're totally ignorant on the topic.

You have no idea what the difference is between what you think is an "assault rifle" and a semi auto hunting rifle, do you? Of course not. Do you know the difference between these two rifles? Cosmetic, that's it. They fire the exact same round at same rate of fire, hold the same number of rounds but people like you think one is scary and should be banned because no one "needs" a gun like that.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:05 AM

4,802 posts, read 3,513,459 times
Quote:
Emotions? I think when a nutcase comes into your neighborhood and starts shooting everyone in sight; that does conjure up emotions. My heart is breaking for the victims and families, here in Colorado Springs, and all over the country and world, where innocent people are going about their daily lives, minding their own business and get shot to death.

The reality, as I see it,(with my somewhat clouded mind) is that too many are dying; and there must be something we can do. Should we just standby and let the innocent die? I don't have the answers, but there must be solutions somewhere.

I am not for a gun BAN, I am for gun CONTROL.
You control the gun with two hands, not laws..
But since you feel Control of a Free SOciety is the answer, share with us how to instill "Gun Control".
300 Million people, 300 Million plus guns, and its a right. Control it. Please share.
You want to CONTROL the person, not the gun..Thats where Liberals are going with gun control..

Old 12-13-2015, 10:36 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,954,279 times
Quote:

Still waiting for you to answer my question..................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies