Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2015, 10:27 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,441,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It's more than that... motivation and initiative levels are different from person to person, too. And, yeah... how are you supposed to fix that?
You fix that like every other Communist nation has done. You take away the incentive by force for people to do better thus knocking the successful down to the level of the non successful. Now you have equality in motivation and initiative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 10:47 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,364,321 times
Quote:
It's no surprise the largest percentage of the Top 400 were not only NOT born on third base, they weren't even born on first. They're from the "Batter's Box"... "individuals who came from a lower- or middle class background."

The incessant SJW faux outrage when it's plain as day that people CAN and DO rise from very modest backgrounds to achieve so spectacularly is ridiculous.
Yes, Im sure Forbes is a great source of information on how great it is to be in the 400 and how ANYONE can do it

Cheer on that 400 people can hold onto as much wealth as the bottom 150 million or so. YAY inequality!

You could also play the lottery regularly and have similar odds.

Keep carrying that water.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
You fix that like every other Communist nation has done. You take away the incentive by force for people to do better thus knocking the successful down to the level of the non successful. Now you have equality in motivation and initiative.
This in a nutshell is why I talk about this stuff. If we dont get control of it we will see someone who thinks such nonsense is a good idea. We need to get control of it now. Inequality is great, but its not great if as a result of it we end up with something like you are describing.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:01 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,869,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The main reason for the existence of inequality in America is that differences in human abilities lead to differences in life outcomes.

So, how are you supposed to fix that?
That's not necessarily true. People who have access to resources have better outcomes. Ability is just one of those resources. But Paris Hilton isn't possessed of superior intelligence, or of any particular talent, it is her access to money and resources that allows her to capitalize on those resources.

In a society where there is a massive wealth gap, access to resources becomes more and more limited, and there are strategies to fix that. That's the reasoning behind lowering educational costs, that's the reasoning for expanding small loans.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:11 AM

88,983 posts, read 44,799,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They are two different things but they are related. Minimum wage goes further without the added trillions and a higher wage isn't as necessary.

In general I agree with your last point EXCEPT for the fact that the lower classes should be able to benefit from the trillions of dollars also. They have not.

So either stop the welfare for the wall street classes or shut up when the rest of the people go looking for their share.
A lot of that supposed "welfare for wall street" went towards propping up pension plans. Guess who has pension plans? Literally tens of millions of people at every level of public employment: teachers, police, firemen, park district workers, etc., etc. So, yeah... QE had to be done FOR "the rest of the people."

Quote:
"And this is one of the primary reasons that the Fed is devoting significant resources to keeping the stock market propped up: pension fund insolvency is at risk."
Pension “Armageddon†Got Closer Today

Old 12-10-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
A lot of that supposed "welfare for wall street" went towards propping up pension plans. Guess who has pension plans? Literally tens of millions of people at every level of public employment: teachers, police, firemen, park district workers, etc., etc. So, yeah... QE had to be done FOR "the rest of the people."

Pension “Armageddon” Got Closer Today
Gods your "Its all about all the little people" stuff is getting old.

400 people own more then the bottom 150 million. For the VAST majority its welfare for the rich. No matter HOW you argue it.

Also..why exactly do you think pensions are underfunded?

Old 12-10-2015, 11:15 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,279,721 times
I'm a conservative and applaud anyone's success without classism or jealousy of others accomplishments or stuff but:

I think Big government along with Obama are killing the middle classes with over regulation and too many laws restricting business in favor of other countries.
I also think the government and Obama are growing poverty through their meddling with interest rates and the stock market.
The MAIN reason for governments involvement is the desire to keep interest on the national debt to a minimum so it is as small as it could be regarding the national budget.

Cause and effect: not something Democrats are good at IMO.
So 0% interest rates are butchering the retirements of all those who lived modestly and saved for retirement. People have had to eat their principal up or lose their money in the stock market causing millions of solvent retirees to end up scraping a retirement on welfare.

Government involvement is not good, this is why I want small functional government with temporary safety nets except for the massively handicapped and elderly.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:17 AM

88,983 posts, read 44,799,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yes, Im sure Forbes is a great source of information on how great it is to be in the 400 and how ANYONE can do it
The "Batter's Box" statistic didn't come from Forbes. It came from United for a Fair Economy.

Who We Are - United for a Fair Economy

Old 12-10-2015, 11:18 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,746,335 times
I am a libertarian leaning middle of the road person, and I see a problem with the wealth gap. Of course I have a problem with it but my solution is very different from liberal's.

I personally do not believe that wealth is a finite resource, it is created every day, however the problem I see with the gap is why the gap is increasing. Like it or not you cannot tax everybody into prosperity, but what you can do is start leveling the playing field.

Unfortunately the party of the wealthy (democrat liberals for those that do not pay attention) do not seem to understand what made this country great and was a major part of it's economic growth. You see all the barriers to entry that is pushed by large corporations and sold by the politicians as being best for the consumer, are actually killing the small businesses.

Let me explain it this way:
My close friend has owned and built a business for the last 15 years, he currently has 14 guys working for him in the field and a lady at the office as well as a part time bookkeeper. His company will gross $1,100,000 this year, and his net profit will be right around $75,000, and to make that $75,000 he works 70 hours a week, and has spent countless sleepless nights building that company. Over the years he has seen his costs for permits almost triple, his cost for healthcare has went up double digits for the last 10 years and with the ACA plan he has now it is going up 35% next year, the cost of his equipment has more than double over the last 10 years. Yet he cannot raise his prices, too much competition especially from large corporations who have the capabilities to produce their own equipment and do their own work. If you listen to some politicians and many posters on this board my friend is wealthy, yet after a long conversation yesterday he admitted to me he is considering selling the company to fund his kid's college education and put some away for retirement, as he can get a job with a large corporation right now that would pay him $90,000 a year and he would only be working 40-50 hours per week.

So what is my point people ask, and this is my point. Here is a guy creating 16 middle income paying jobs for his local community, at one point he was building wealth and income which would pay for everything he would need in life now and in the future, but due to the rising costs of doing business including his final straw his Obama care health insurance costs, it is no longer worth it to own and run his company.

There are millions of small business owners that are and have made that decision over the last few years, small business starts are at their lowest in decades, and many small business owners are being forced out. As a small business accountant I have worked with many business owners who have chosen to get out over the last few years, yet people only want to tax the wealthy and punish them? How about we start looking at the things the government has done to destroy the small businesses and the long term effect of that on the economy and the shrinking middle class?

Old 12-10-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
The "Batter's Box" statistic didn't come from Forbes. It came from United for a Fair Economy.

Who We Are - United for a Fair Economy
Based upon the Forbes data.

And its been doing this for quite a while. Do keep up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies