Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2015, 09:55 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I like Sanders too. I'll pull for him as long as he keeps going. If he doesn't get the nomination, however... ... but... as to his being honest... specifically, more honest than Obama... how would you possibly know that?
It would be difficult to be less honest.

Quote:
I think Sanders is a good guy, but if he gets the White House he will disappoint us. It's inevitable. That is why I could vote for Obama twice. I hold nothing against him. People only see the promises broken. I see the myriad small things that were never promised but he fixed them anyway. I don't think there has been anyone better in living memory. Unlike you I don't think it is within a President's power to change anything substantive about how America works. When and if Occupy Wall St. reboots hopefully a Version 2.0, then we may see some change on the ground.
Then you really have no ground to complain if you feel there is nothing that can be done about it. You are just wasting your time. I know there are many things that could have been done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 09:59 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,965,605 times
Quote:
I like Sanders too. I'll pull for him as long as he keeps going. If he doesn't get the nomination, however... ... but... as to his being honest... specifically, more honest than Obama... how would you possibly know that? I think Sanders is a good guy, but if he gets the White House he will disappoint us. It's inevitable. That is why I could vote for Obama twice. I hold nothing against him. People only see the promises broken. I see the myriad small things that were never promised but he fixed them anyway. I don't think there has been anyone better in living memory. Unlike you I don't think it is within a President's power to change anything substantive about how America works. When and if Occupy Wall St. reboots hopefully a Version 2.0, then we may see some change on the ground.
I think this is the truth unfortunately.

You don't have to agree with Sanders to appreciate his candidacy. I wish more ran campaigns like he did and came out against what is happening with our government.

The only other candidate who comes truth Lessig, but he's not a serious candidate.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:42 AM

897 posts, read 1,253,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It is actually considered an emergency. A child born on the sidewalk outside of the hospital is likely to die -
If that was true, how did people give birth before hospitals? Just saying...

Old 12-09-2015, 07:15 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
i think inequality has an inherent tendency to harm some people, because humans are hierarchical social animals. as George Gilder noted in Wealth and Poverty (1984) and some of his earlier works, men who earn less than the mainstream of women in their society are pretty much screwed in the mating and marriage market.

in more genteel writings this is expressed by saying these men are unmarriageable.

some people will say that poor American men are actually rich by global standards, but American women do not compare poor American men to men in other societies, they compare poor American men to other American men, and of course they find poor American men insufferably inadequate.

so given human nature, inequality guarantees some men - especially in their first few decades of life when there is a substantial surplus of men - won't find partners.
Inequality in all things puts some at a disadvantage. Stupid men and ugly men are at a huge disadvantage when it comes to competing for a mate. What would you like to do about that?

Old 12-09-2015, 07:16 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
It's a poor people thing. You wouldn't understand...
Because you can't explain it? Thought so.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:14 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
If a woman about to deliver appears at the hospital, they will assist with the delivery even if she 'could' have had it without medical assistance because it might be really dangerous to kick a woman with a partially delivered fetus out of the hospital.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:38 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Ah such a misdirection. Because the vast majority of their income is used to survive. And when they DO invest/save their rates of return are vastly lower then the ultra wealthy. You post like it is some level playing field. It hasn't been one. Thats one of the reasons people do get upset.
It is a level playing field. Why else would immigrants who come here with nothing, and can't speak the language, become successful? Because if you work hard, are committed to being successful, and are smart about your money, anyone in this country can be a success.

Cue the excuses.......

Old 12-09-2015, 08:42 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,583,685 times
back to the 1% topic being good/bad/indifferent....

I saw this article today - Walmat has been around for many years. However in the last 20 or so Walmart's stock performance has created 20 or so billionaires on the list of "Richest in America" including several who had nothing to do with starting or running Walmart (family members).

Has this come with a price ? Some think so: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/09/bu...sses.html?_r=0

Is this good for America ?

Old 12-09-2015, 09:20 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
back to the 1% topic being good/bad/indifferent....

I saw this article today - Walmat has been around for many years. However in the last 20 or so Walmart's stock performance has created 20 or so billionaires on the list of "Richest in America" including several who had nothing to do with starting or running Walmart (family members).

Has this come with a price ? Some think so: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/09/bu...sses.html?_r=0

Is this good for America ?
If you and/or others don't believe so, stop shopping at Walmart.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:21 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,961,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
Well they did give birth before hospitals, but about 1 in 10 women died during the process, so there's that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies