Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2015, 01:07 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
is my rent beyond my means too?
It very well could be. And that's why people have roommates or choose to live in less costly neighborhoods.

Anecdotally... I have 2 nieces working/living in Chicago. Both have professional degrees and are working full-time. They don't like having roommates, so they live in less expensive rentals solo to accommodate that preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 01:09 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Agreed!
But I'd also like funding choices to be voted on.
Absolutely not. Let those who pay the taxes direct where they go.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
You are really beyond the pale, is my rent beyond my means too? I don't believe that poster owns a car. Nor do I. That puts $500 to $1000 every month back in our budget that can be used to rent a nicer apartment than might otherwise be the case if we were nursing some bottom end American car along to fit in.
Or...that $1000 could have been put into Fidelity every month and invested.
That's $12000 per year.

You chose the bling.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Agreed!
But I'd also like funding choices to be voted on. IE "Request to add ACA to budget", "Request to add socialized healthcare to budget"

Can you imagine where NASA would be by now?
Only those that actually pay taxes should ever decide where THEIR money goes if it ever came to that.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:18 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,656,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Liberals keep parroting meaningless statistics like "The X richest people own Y% of the wealth". My question is, why do you consider this an issue?

Are you saying that you're poor because someone else is rich? Did you ever consider that all the extra wealth they have is wealth that was produced by them or their company? Them generating wealth doesn't somehow make you less wealthy.

Maybe it's time to get over your envy of others' success. It sounds like babies crying about how other children have more toys than them.
Have you ever taken Economics 101?

Many rich people are made wealthy by the exploitation of all the under-paid workers and I'm including the middle-class. No one person is that productive that they warrant a salary of $100 million such as some CEOs are paid. It is always based on the labor or resources of those below them whose work and efforts are producing some commodity or service.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:19 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It very well could be. And that's why people have roommates or choose to live in less costly neighborhoods.

Anecdotally... I have 2 nieces working/living in Chicago. Both have professional degrees and are working full-time. They don't like having roommates, so they live in less expensive rentals solo to accommodate that preference.

But haven't you previously said you're okay with government regulation that puts rents beyond people's means? i.e. those people ALREADY at the bottom of the rent scale, who no longer have cheaper options.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Have you ever taken Economics 101?

Many rich people are made wealthy by the exploitation of all the under-paid workers and I'm including the middle-class. No one person is that productive that they warrant a salary of $100 million such as some CEOs are paid. It is always based on the labor or resources of those below them whose work and efforts are producing some commodity or service.
link on that claim.

Who did Bill Gates exploit ?
Who did Warren Buffet exploit ?
Or Jeff Bezos or Larry Page or Zuckerberg ?

No one. They invested their money. And further invested and took stock in the companies they founded.

Nobody got exploited and we don't have under paid workers unless you choose to work off the books.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:26 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Only those that actually pay taxes should ever decide where THEIR money goes if it ever came to that.

Define "those whop pay taxes".

Michigan has a steep "nonhomestead tax" on all taxable non-agrivultural property other than the owner's primary residence. Renters vote on this tax as do homeowners who own no nonhomestead property. Should they vote on this tax?

9,828 posts, read 9,423,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So did Warren Buffet.

The key here is taxable income vs other sources of income.

Passive income is the way to go and it's not limited to the rich.
That's how they got rich to begin with.

No one has proposed changing the tax rules so you can't just constantly blame the Republicans.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/economy/reform/tax-reform

Quote:
The tax code has become increasingly complicated and unfair. Under today’s tax laws, those who can afford expert advice can avoid paying their fair share and interests with the most connected lobbyists can get exemptions and special treatment written into our tax code. While many of the tax incentives serve important purposes, taken together the tax expenditures in the law are inefficient, unfair, duplicative, or even unnecessary. In fact, because our corporate tax system is so riddled with special interest loopholes, our system has one of the highest statutory tax rates among developed countries to generate about the same amount of corporate tax revenue as our developed country partners as a share of our economy; this, in turn, hurts our competitiveness in the world economy.
Republicans would never go for this though, they're still scamming gullible right-wingers that trickle-down economics are just and fair and really really work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Define "those whop pay taxes".

Michigan has a steep "nonhomestead tax" on all taxable non-agrivultural property other than the owner's primary residence. Renters vote on this tax as do homeowners who own no nonhomestead property. Should they vote on this tax?
That's state, not federal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies