Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2015, 09:42 AM

30,075 posts, read 18,682,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
So, a poor kid in the ghetto has exactly the same opportunity of success as a rich kid whose father donated $2 million to Harvard so his son would be admitted?

The research shows that a predictor of success is zipcode. Zip Codes Continue to Determine Upward Mobility in America Moreover, 40% of the individuals who appeared on the 2011 Forbes list received a "significant economic advantage in their lives by inheriting a sizeable asset from a spouse or family member." Strikingly, more than 20% received sufficient wealth to make the list from this inheritance alone.
You are brilliant; you found the solution to poverty in America!

Poor people should just change thier zipcode. They can stay where they live, but change the zipcode of that area and "poof"! Problem solved!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 09:49 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
360 posts. A significant portion of them all about denying reality. Some even going as far as saying such gems as "There is no connection between inequality and opportunity". Data shows how wrong so many of these posts are, and they just spin and try another approach to claiming that inequality isn't real, if it is real then it isn't a problem, and finally if it is real,and a problem....then theres nothing we can do.

Then they go on about how the top 400 are really all like me and you, and by golly...if you try hard enough you will be there too. Meanwhile we are making education more out of reach, the cost to do so debilitating, and the advantages to being at the top ever better.

The us has some of the lowest social mobility, and extremely high inequality. We've harmed the American dream as a result, and denying it will only continue to make the problem worse.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:55 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDothisoften View Post
People on the left like using the phrase "wealth distribution". Wealth is not distributed, you get what you work for. Income inequality sustains this country. Whenever I hear a liberal whining about income inequality (not to mention most of them have a 120,000 dollar education), I ask them "so you went to college to get a better job and make more money right? You're telling me you'd be fine with making the same amount of money as someone who DIDN'T go to college?"

Get real
Who worked for the trillions the government printed and put into the markets?

Old 12-10-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
360 posts. A significant portion of them all about denying reality. Some even going as far as saying such gems as "There is no connection between inequality and opportunity". Data shows how wrong so many of these posts are, and they just spin and try another approach to claiming that inequality isn't real, if it is real then it isn't a problem, and finally if it is real,and a problem....then theres nothing we can do.
There is nothing we can do when the majority that complain refuse to change. As long as people are willing to continue to vote for those who support the system nothing will change.

Quote:
Then they go on about how the top 400 are really all like me and you, and by golly...if you try hard enough you will be there too. Meanwhile we are making education more out of reach, the cost to do so debilitating, and the advantages to being at the top ever better.

The us has some of the lowest social mobility, and extremely high inequality. We've harmed the American dream as a result, and denying it will only continue to make the problem worse.
Complaining and not doing anything different will make it worse. Hillary is going to make it worse.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:01 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
You are brilliant; you found the solution to poverty in America!

Poor people should just change thier zipcode. They can stay where they live, but change the zipcode of that area and "poof"! Problem solved!

poor people can't get into the richest zip codes, that's part of what zoning is for.

but even where they move out of the ghetto, you can take the 'banger out of the 'hood, but you can't take the 'hood out of the 'banger.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:10 AM

27,582 posts, read 28,693,962 times
Quote:
360 posts. A significant portion of them all about denying reality. Some even going as far as saying such gems as "There is no connection between inequality and opportunity".
The main reason for the existence of inequality in America is that differences in human abilities lead to differences in life outcomes.

So, how are you supposed to fix that?

Old 12-10-2015, 10:12 AM

260 posts, read 239,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Who worked for the trillions the government printed and put into the markets?
This is a good point. But that's a power thing rather than a paycheck thing. I don't agree with all of the government's shady business practices which is why I'm firmly for smaller government. But as far as McDonald's workers getting 15 an hour or this idea of basically taking from the rich to give to the poor- it's ridiculous. It's borderline theft. You can't take someone's money just because you feel like someone deserves it more. It may start with the rich, but it will hit all working people. I can't afford to be taxed more, and I have a bachelors degree and a full time job.

Bernie sanders said "nobody who works 40 hours a week should be in poverty!"

Yeah, so stop taking their money and giving it to people who work 0 hours a week

Old 12-10-2015, 10:17 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:

Then they go on about how the top 400 are really all like me and you, and by golly...if you try hard enough you will be there too.
It's no surprise the largest percentage of the Top 400 were not only NOT born on third base, they weren't even born on first. They're from the "Batter's Box"... "individuals who came from a lower- or middle class background."

The incessant SJW faux outrage when it's plain as day that people CAN and DO rise from very modest backgrounds to achieve so spectacularly is ridiculous.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:22 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The main reason for the existence of inequality in America is that differences in human abilities lead to differences in life outcomes.

So, how are you supposed to fix that?
It's more than that... motivation and initiative levels are different from person to person, too. And, yeah... how are you supposed to fix that?

Old 12-10-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDothisoften View Post
This is a good point. But that's a power thing rather than a paycheck thing. I don't agree with all of the government's shady business practices which is why I'm firmly for smaller government. But as far as McDonald's workers getting 15 an hour or this idea of basically taking from the rich to give to the poor- it's ridiculous. It's borderline theft. You can't take someone's money just because you feel like someone deserves it more. It may start with the rich, but it will hit all working people. I can't afford to be taxed more, and I have a bachelors degree and a full time job.

Bernie sanders said "nobody who works 40 hours a week should be in poverty!"

Yeah, so stop taking their money and giving it to people who work 0 hours a week
They are two different things but they are related. Minimum wage goes further without the added trillions and a higher wage isn't as necessary.

In general I agree with your last point EXCEPT for the fact that the lower classes should be able to benefit from the trillions of dollars also. They have not.

So either stop the welfare for the wall street classes or shut up when the rest of the people go looking for their share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies