Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 10:04 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,391,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
But, it is the field that has many of the grants and scholarships. Well, with this new grant you just have to be a quick learner, because they are looking for people to train on the job and offer apprenticeships for STEM jobs. The need is great!
There are grants and scholarships for trade skills too, many that pay just as well or better than many STEM jobs.

About the Foundation « Profoundly Disconnected
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 10:08 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,375,319 times
Many of these college educated folks have to share an apartment with several others and their only means of transportation is a bike. Some who earn a bit more cannot buy a car, a house, or start a business because of massive student loans. A large number have a damaged credit report for life because they cannot file for bankruptcy. The standard of living is going down.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:11 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,547,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
There are grants and scholarships for trade skills too, many that pay just as well or better than many STEM jobs.

About the Foundation « Profoundly Disconnected

Great information, but I have met to many Millennials who do not want to do the Trade Jobs, although I am quite knowledgeable about them and what they pay. I had better outcomes with the generation before them. To many of them complain about the hard labor, and in some cases they would not pass the test to get their certificate or license for many of these trades. I had many students in a GED program who were in a construction trade program, and they are doing fairly well.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:27 AM

13,310 posts, read 7,895,124 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfTfsWhZi5E

Old 12-09-2015, 10:30 AM

35,188 posts, read 31,503,474 times
Dumb since it includes students. I'm from Tennessee and do know a few Millenials stuck in that $10/hr range, but most don't want to do better, have personal issues, or are unwilling to move or train.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:39 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,445,855 times
So, young people who by their very nature are new to the workforce and don't have as much experience as older people don't make as much money. Wow, thanks for the update Captain Obvious, my year is now complete.

[Faux concerned person with limited capabilities of how just about anything works in the real world]This is an outrage![\
Faux concerned person with limited capabilities of how just about anything works in the real world]

Old 12-09-2015, 11:26 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,266,668 times
and.....what type of earning potential do these peope have?
Degree type? Can't imgaine basket weaving earns much.

Quote:
Millennial median wage map - Business Insider

This is the median salary, and it borders on poverty stricken if you reside in a state or city where the cost of living is outrageous. I highly suggest that students start buckling down and get their math and science skills together, so they can make higher salaries in the STEM field. The competition for these jobs are fierce when thinking globally, but U.S. citizens continue to be underachievers in the STEM field. New training programs are on the horizon, because we need people to do these jobs. I am not pessimistic about training people who do not have the basic skills to learn how to possibly do coding, software development, cyber security, etc.

A million dollar grant is out there right now from the U.S. Department of Labor and they want educators, workforce development entities, and employers to rush and train people for mid to high skill level jobs. I just don't see it!!

Old 12-09-2015, 12:25 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,941,985 times
We have more than enough qualified STEM workers. Just not enough corporations willing to pay Americans good wages instead of bringing in cheap labor from abroad.

I keep seeing this college VS trade argument all over. We forget that at one time in this country there was an "in between" which was manufacturing.

Old 12-09-2015, 12:39 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,796,386 times
Quote:
Millennial median wage map - Business Insider

This is the median salary, and it borders on poverty stricken if you reside in a state or city where the cost of living is outrageous. I highly suggest that students start buckling down and get their math and science skills together, so they can make higher salaries in the STEM field. The competition for these jobs are fierce when thinking globally, but U.S. citizens continue to be underachievers in the STEM field. New training programs are on the horizon, because we need people to do these jobs. I am not pessimistic about training people who do not have the basic skills to learn how to possibly do coding, software development, cyber security, etc.

A million dollar grant is out there right now from the U.S. Department of Labor and they want educators, workforce development entities, and employers to rush and train people for mid to high skill level jobs. I just don't see it!!
This is stupid.

Typical business insider, they took a source reporting income data, and wrote an article calling it wage data, not understanding the difference. Besides, most 17-20 year olds don't even earn wages, and if they do, typically not full-time wages.

Quote:
but U.S. citizens continue to be underachievers in the STEM field.
citation needed

I'm pretty sure we are #1 in the world in the STEM field. We invented the internet, the PC, Apple, Google, Microsoft.. we have the biggest tech hub in the world, the best universities, and the most venture capital.

What country, in your opinion, is better?

Old 12-09-2015, 12:40 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,962,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
We have more than enough qualified STEM workers. Just not enough corporations willing to pay Americans good wages instead of bringing in cheap labor from abroad.

I keep seeing this college VS trade argument all over. We forget that at one time in this country there was an "in between" which was manufacturing.
I read patiently through an entire page of nonsense to post exactly what you have said. Well done. Not only don't they want to pay for American labor they actually pay colleges to close their STEM programs before they are full because they intend to fill the labor shortage with H1B's. That's fine, as far as it goes (not) but the continued blaming of the victims is just so much hypocrisy. It makes me ill. And what about the incredible increases in college tuition which outpace inflation by double digit percentages?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies