Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 05:38 PM

45,237 posts, read 26,464,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
If those who strap dynamite to themselves have been indoctrinated to believe that they will be praised as martyrs and be rewarded with 72 virgins, they are acting selfishly and are not exhibiting courage. It is a coward who fights dirty. If terrorists were not cowards, they would not kill themselves instead of facing the consequences of their actions. Besides, in life they live miserable, hate filled lives and are indoctrinated into believing that death is much better than life, so they look forward to being martyred. That is not a courageous act in my view!
I said that I believe it's wrong to characterize them as cowards. This is not the same as saying they are courageous

How do you feel about american drone pilots who have killed thousands of women and children from inside secure bunkers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 05:55 PM

27,159 posts, read 15,334,701 times
I'd just rather call them dead.

Old 12-12-2015, 02:33 PM

15,980 posts, read 7,044,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I never said the Islamic terrorists are courageous. I simply said I don't believe they are "cowards."

To me, the term coward means a person who does not force themselves to do what they think is right even though they are afraid.

These terrorists truly believe what they are doing is "right".
that is an interesting point. yes, coward does not seem to be the correct word to describe these people who are delusional and brainwashed into believing that killing innocents is a right thing to do for what they see as a just cause.
in fact calling them cowards deflects from the right course of action to fight ISIS. wrong seems ineffectual.
What do you think is a better way to describe them, other than evil or wicked?

Old 12-12-2015, 02:37 PM

15,980 posts, read 7,044,200 times
Quote:
As I said, I think some people choose the word because it's such a degrading title to be called. I'd be happier with the words barbarians, murderers, delusional, demonic, brainwashed, etc., to describe these criminals or terrorists.
i did not read your post correctly. i agree, you are right.

Old 12-12-2015, 02:48 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,073,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
I'd just rather call them dead.
This

Old 12-12-2015, 03:24 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I don't think cowards strap a dynamite belt and push the button or knowingly subject themselves to death by a hail of bullets. Characterizing them as such is a mistake.
Only insane people behave in the manner you suggest, especially when there is nothing at all respectable or noble about the act of blowing up defenseless people.
It takes courage to charge a well armed enemy to save your fellow soldiers, family members or friends.
There is nothing brave about blowing yourself up for personal gain. In this case, a harem of virgins awaiting you in the after life.
I am comfortable using any derogatory term in the book to describe such people.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:45 PM

27,159 posts, read 15,334,701 times
^^^^
I'm with you.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:54 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,770,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I just saw a TV ad by the NRA. The head of the organization called these radical Islamic terrorists "cowards".

I respectfully disagree with his word choice. Deciding to sacrifice your earthly life for ones ideology, no matter how twisted it is, isn't necessarily cowardly IMO.

I think people use this term out of extreme anger, wanting to insult the enemy at the highest level.

I'm not an NRA hater, but I do believe the organization wields too much power in this country right now. I'm all for the Second Amendment, to be clear.

I recall John Walsh on "America's Most Wanted", who I have great respect for, also frequently used the word "coward" to describe despicable criminals who had done hideous acts.

As I said, I think some people choose the word because it's such a degrading title to be called. I'd be happier with the words barbarians, murderers, delusional, demonic, brainwashed, etc., to describe these criminals or terrorists.

IMO, it takes courage to kill yourself and church people who have been kind to you (such as in the Charleston church murderer case, or the recent San Bernardino case). Opinions? Am I not understanding something?

I don't believe courage always implies "good acts." Thanks.
Such honesty is unwelcome among a majority of Americans.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:07 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,738,345 times
I would call them crazy scum bag fanatics. but hay 30 thousand Isis scum bags had the Iraqi army numbering 200 thousand running like chickens.. and the Iraqi army was trained by the biggest super power and had a way bigger arsenal then THE SCUM BAGS..

Old 12-12-2015, 05:20 PM

4,800 posts, read 3,511,878 times
Some ISIS sympathizers in this thread. And they are cowards..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies