Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 12:28 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Yes, there are TWO WAYS to expand homeownership and of course, Washington tried it the wrong way.

The right way would have involved greater property rights, which would have required reduced local regulation, but Property Owners have a vested interest in high regulation, so Washington tried what little it could, even though that was the wrong policy.
Maybe Laissez Fare would be the smart approach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Yeah and then the economy CRASHED because people were buying homes with no hope of paying for them and the banks were loaning the money because the govt was guarantying the loans.
I guess lack of personal responsibility played a big roll since taking out a loan is voluntary.

My first and third home purchases were done without a traditional mortgage...

Home number 1 was set for condemnation and I was able to swoop in at the 11th hour...

Home number 3 was a home I really wanted to tackle... turned down for a mortgage so I approached the owners about carrying the loan and they agreed....

Good thing they saw a future in me that the banks didn't see.

I told them the worst thing that could happen if I defaulted is they would get the house back... they seemed ok with that...

Of course I didn't default and for 15 years I went to the senior retirement home and hand delivered my mortgage payment at 5% interest...

Several of the retirement home friends wished they would have done the same... let's see... getting 5% interest secured by a deed of trust or 1% from the bank

Old 12-23-2015, 03:28 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,154,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I guess lack of personal responsibility played a big roll since taking out a loan is voluntary.

But isn't government still encouraging lack of responsibility? There is no place in our Country you can go and not see signs: "No Money, Bad Credit, No Problem" come on down and we will give you the loan for a new car. Here is one example: No Money Down Car Loan - Auto Loans with No Money Down for Bad Credit.

Housing tightened up a little after their big fall. But now middle-class home buyers are dropping out the market for new homes and are being replaced by the poor and rich. Of course the poor have government funds helping them become first time home buyers.

So we did not learn any lessons from the fall; we simply 'adapted'. However I don't know how we can reverse this lack of responsibility. We outsource our jobs, we give our jobs to legal and illegal immigrants, and now we are turning to automation for more 'cheap' labor. We need leadership and we need to know how we will address these problems in the future.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:20 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,138,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
The U.S. government tallied more than half a million people living on the streets on a one-night count this year, a quarter of them children.

Tracking tent cities is difficult, but the NLCHP identified more than 100 across 41 U.S. states from 2008-2013, though few were officially sanctioned.

Seattle has voted to permit three tent cities, with Mayor Ed Murray declaring homelessness a "full-blown crisis" following the death this year of 66 homeless people on the streets or in illegal campsites, and a 21 percent jump in the King County homeless population since 2014.
Amid chronic U.S. homelessness, Northwest backs 'tent cities'

I am glad that there are at least a few places allowing the homeless. Far, far too few however. I wonder how many have died in the record setting winters and scorching summers of this past decade?
Sadly, more of these people could be helped if immigrants, both legal and illegal, were not overwhelming our public assistance monies. Welfare Use by Legal and Illegal Immigrant Households | Center for Immigration Studies

The country takes in refugees and set them up costing thousands of dollars for each individual yet we have people living in the conditions discussed above and those people are thankful that tent cities are being allowed.

Medicaid funds are being drained by anchor babies. Illegals use the emergency room 3 times more than US citizens which is charged to Medicaid. Medicaid would be the program that would pay for healthcare, both physical and mental, for people that end up in these tent cities.

Charity should begin at home. We have more and more homeless people in the US and children living in poverty, our own citizens.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:48 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,923,196 times
Lubbock also did the right thing, and set up a tent city facility for the homeless. Providing water, toilets and showers isn't too much to ask from the taxpayers.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:12 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,450,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Lubbock also did the right thing, and set up a tent city facility for the homeless. Providing water, toilets and showers isn't too much to ask from the taxpayers.
Meanwhile illegals and refugees are getting royal treatment. No, Lubbock sucks.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
But isn't government still encouraging lack of responsibility? There is no place in our Country you can go and not see signs: "No Money, Bad Credit, No Problem" come on down and we will give you the loan for a new car. Here is one example: No Money Down Car Loan - Auto Loans with No Money Down for Bad Credit.

Housing tightened up a little after their big fall. But now middle-class home buyers are dropping out the market for new homes and are being replaced by the poor and rich. Of course the poor have government funds helping them become first time home buyers.

So we did not learn any lessons from the fall; we simply 'adapted'. However I don't know how we can reverse this lack of responsibility. We outsource our jobs, we give our jobs to legal and illegal immigrants, and now we are turning to automation for more 'cheap' labor. We need leadership and we need to know how we will address these problems in the future.
I'm probably the last person to ask... the only loans I have ever had are first mortgages... never a car note or credit card interest.

My Grandmother lived through the depression and would point out homes of friends that lost everything buying on credit... she was horrified when I proudly showed her my Sears Credit Card at age 18... had to promise to never carry a balance.

I would never want to be in a situation where a seller couldn't offer to carry the loan because I needed to be protected.

I work with people that make good money... yet they seem to live paycheck to paycheck paying for the new cars, private schools, vacations... etc.

I grew up around the car business and my Grandfather would say if you can't afford to pay off a new car in 3 years you are in over your head... lost a few sales that way but earned respect and repeat business.

Old 12-23-2015, 01:17 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,886,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
The conservatives of the board are just thinking there is no real problem, because by gosh, if only those homeless people had been properly motivated maybe they would not have died.

I mean..apparently death was not sufficient motivation.
The liberals on this board are just thinking there is no real problem, thats why we should spend hundreds of millions helping refugees from other countries. We after all have no homeless of our own to concern ourselves with.
I mean apparently 600,000 or more homeless are there by choice and not because they need help.
Greywar, normally I find common ground with you, but on this topic neither party owns a moral high ground because both ignore the problem completely.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:11 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,373,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
The U.S. government tallied more than half a million people living on the streets on a one-night count this year, a quarter of them children.

Tracking tent cities is difficult, but the NLCHP identified more than 100 across 41 U.S. states from 2008-2013, though few were officially sanctioned.

Seattle has voted to permit three tent cities, with Mayor Ed Murray declaring homelessness a "full-blown crisis" following the death this year of 66 homeless people on the streets or in illegal campsites, and a 21 percent jump in the King County homeless population since 2014.
Amid chronic U.S. homelessness, Northwest backs 'tent cities'

I am glad that there are at least a few places allowing the homeless. Far, far too few however. I wonder how many have died in the record setting winters and scorching summers of this past decade?
There have been tent cities in Seattle for 15 years, all liberal Seattle has done is waste taxpayer dollars and make the homeless problem worse. Conservative Utah built actual housing for the homeless, spent less, saved money and all-out eliminated their homeless problem. I'm sure you'll continue to praise Seattle though.

Old 12-23-2015, 03:02 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I mean apparently 600,000 or more homeless are there by choice and not because they need help.
Where did you come up with that figure? Because since Salt Lake City implemented their housing first program they have reduce homelessness by 91%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies