Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 08:11 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times

Advertisements

Secure rights and protect those rights...

They have come to the point of taking rights and securing our slavery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 08:24 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,127,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
You mean like the widely publicized initiative to tackle homelessness? They passed the HEARTH act in 2009 and chronic homeless has fallen 31%.

Homeless vets with no shelter have declined by 50% since 2010.

Yes, but like mountainrose said in the post proceeding yours; both parties just agreed to quadrupling the H-2Bs. You combine that with the automation and it is not a promising future for the homeless. It isn't only that; but in some communities the number of middle-class home buyers is dropping significantly in just the past year. People are feeling the pinch form loosing jobs and higher taxes.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:26 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
The U.S. government tallied more than half a million people living on the streets on a one-night count this year, a quarter of them children.

Tracking tent cities is difficult, but the NLCHP identified more than 100 across 41 U.S. states from 2008-2013, though few were officially sanctioned.

Seattle has voted to permit three tent cities, with Mayor Ed Murray declaring homelessness a "full-blown crisis" following the death this year of 66 homeless people on the streets or in illegal campsites, and a 21 percent jump in the King County homeless population since 2014.
Amid chronic U.S. homelessness, Northwest backs 'tent cities'

I am glad that there are at least a few places allowing the homeless. Far, far too few however. I wonder how many have died in the record setting winters and scorching summers of this past decade?
And I wonder how many died of drug overdoses?

Old 12-21-2015, 09:40 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,616,432 times
Good. They deserve every thing they have created for themselves.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:01 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,233,405 times
After lowering sea levels and cooling the planet I would have thought that Obama, man of the people, would have gotten around to eliminating homelessness between rounds of golf. Maybe not.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:38 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Hooverville... Meet Obamaville

EXACTLY!

Old 12-21-2015, 11:54 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,362,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Sorry; I 'reped' you by accident! Have you heard anybody on the Democratic side of the isle mention homeless; even when they controlled the Congress. They sat there and did not open their mouths. Now, all of a sudden with the election looming; they care about us! Give me a break; both parties are just as bad as each other - they only care about their own hides.

If anybody really cared about the homeless; we would convert some of the old factories into housing made up of capsules like the Japanese: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsule_hotel. Then provide shared public bathrooms for them to relieve themselves and clean up. Instead we are providing support for people that illegally entered our Country! We also have many homeless that are veterans; we should all hang our heads in shame. Of course there is the other problem of mental illness that is harder to deal with.

By the way; 66 deaths for 500,000, does not sound correct. Unless we do not have good statistics. 66 in a year would mean they have a much higher lifespan than any human currently living.
Sanders has brought it up repeatedly in his campaign. So yes I have heard people on the democratic side bring it up. And I have heard Sanders discuss it years ago when he was on the radio. Its not a election item for him. I have also heard other Democratic candidates discuss it. So trying to claim the Democrats dont care is kinda sad as well.

And finally...you're making excuses for the problem by claiming we dont have good stats, and they must be living longer then normal folks. Thats just sad and pathetic. Really?

If we cared for the homeless they would not be homeless. Utah has demonstrated that its cheaper to help them, and even buy the homeless houses....then it is to deal with the strain they place on our emergency services, and medical care. Not only do we not care, but most are unwilling to actually save money to help them.

We literally pay money to keep them homeless.

Give the Homeless Homes - The New Yorker

Old 12-21-2015, 01:11 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,127,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Sanders has brought it up repeatedly in his campaign. So yes I have heard people on the democratic side bring it up. And I have heard Sanders discuss it years ago when he was on the radio. Its not a election item for him. I have also heard other Democratic candidates discuss it. So trying to claim the Democrats dont care is kinda sad as well.

And finally...you're making excuses for the problem by claiming we dont have good stats, and they must be living longer then normal folks. Thats just sad and pathetic. Really?

If we cared for the homeless they would not be homeless. Utah has demonstrated that its cheaper to help them, and even buy the homeless houses....then it is to deal with the strain they place on our emergency services, and medical care. Not only do we not care, but most are unwilling to actually save money to help them.

We literally pay money to keep them homeless.

Give the Homeless Homes - The New Yorker

According to your link: "Homeless people are not cheap to take care of. The cost of shelters, emergency-room visits, ambulances, police, and so on quickly piles up." somebody is always stuck with the bill and it usually falls on the backs of the middle-class. The wealthy, that are in control of the WH and Congress, will never agree to take the hit. According to this article the middle-class are not buying homes like they were just one or two years ago: The Great Middle Class Extinction: "95% of New Homes Built for Rich or Poor". I quote from that link: "As Bank of America summarizes, “this suggests that the decline in the homeownership rate thus far has been even more dramatic than the published data suggest.”" The middle-class is hurting and more government spending will only drive more to be homeless or all of our money will loose it's value.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:20 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,996,912 times
Has anyone considered that a percentage of the homeless are that way by design? For some it is a lifestyle predicated by mental illness, addiction, or even attitude. Unfortunately, providing them temporary shelter is the only option under current political trends.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:51 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,448,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
After lowering sea levels and cooling the planet I would have thought that Obama, man of the people, would have gotten around to eliminating homelessness between rounds of golf. Maybe not.

??? ???

Sorry, homelessness is a logical result of growing inequality, not to mention NIMBY local policies.

Private sector new construction is booming in Portland and none of it is affordable at low incomes.

Working class priced out, kicked out in new Portland housing boom | OregonLive.com
Is hip Portland over? How the rent crisis is displacing the city's creative soul | Society | The Guardian
A Look Back At Oregon's Housing Crisis . News | OPB
Oregon Local News - Lawmakers plan to respond to housing crisis
http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...portlands.html
The Oregonian blames 'hipster hovels,' not massive housing shortage, for rising rents - BikePortland.org

The rent crisis is about to get a lot worse, Harvard report says | OregonLive.com
A Summer of Evictions | News | Portland Mercury
Portland
Portland renters 'far worse off than homeowners'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies