Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 06:41 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times

Advertisements

Isn't this what the left accused the right of doing - trying to impose values on other nations?

The right tried to get countries to embrace freedom and democracy. The left... you get this.

U.S. Support of Gay Rights in Africa May Have Done More Harm Than Good
America’s money and public diplomacy have opened conversations and opportunities in societies where the subject was taboo just a few years ago. But they have also made gay men and lesbians more visible — and more vulnerable to harassment and violence, people on both sides of the gay rights issue contend. The American campaign has stirred misgivings among many African activists, who say they must rely on the West’s support despite often disagreeing with its strategies.

Fierce opposition has come from African governments and private organizations, which accuse the United States of cultural imperialism. Pressing gay rights on an unwilling continent, they say, is the latest attempt by Western nations to impose their values on Africa.

“In the same way that we don’t try to impose our culture on anyone, we also expect that people should respect our culture in return,” said Theresa Okafor, a Nigerian active in lobbying against gay rights.

“Before, these people were leading their lives quietly, and nobody was paying any attention to them,” Ms. Iwuagwu said. “Before, a lot of people didn’t even have a clue there were something called gay people. But now they know and now they are outraged. Now they hear that America is bringing all these foreign lifestyles. They are emboldened by the law. The genie has already left the bottle.”
Maybe the left should have followed their own advice and stayed out of the business of imposing their values on other countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 07:02 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,664,869 times
They could have started with not imposing them on America. We look more and more like the Roman Empire. Welcome to the New World Order where the depravity of human behavior knows no bounds.

Last edited by phma; 12-21-2015 at 07:15 AM..

Old 12-21-2015, 07:05 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,099,627 times
I guess you are ok with countries passing laws that kill gays. By the way you might want to read about the financial ties of many Christian churches with African politicians that are pushing for those type of laws.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:08 AM

5,701 posts, read 3,224,771 times
Gays in America hold disgusting, deviant parades in full sight of children all the time. I dont blame Africa for not wanting to become us.

Old 12-21-2015, 07:37 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
I guess you are ok with countries passing laws that kill gays. By the way you might want to read about the financial ties of many Christian churches with African politicians that are pushing for those type of laws.
That's not the point...

When the US invaded Iraq and we tried to give them democracy, many said that we should not impose our values on others. This instance seems pretty hypocritical to me - and whereas many in Iraq wanted to Democracy, Africa is complaining about adopting these standards.

Nobody was killing gays over there according to the article. Nobody even bothered them.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:13 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
no i am not ok with other countries passing laws to allow the killing of gays, but it is their country not ours. as such they can pass all the laws they want i might disagree with. remember they dont have a constitution like ours, nor do they have a supreme court like ours. if i lived in those countries, i might oppose the laws they try to pass, but in the end, in those countries, the majority rules and if i am in the minority, all i can do is leave the country, or follow the laws i dont like.

if you dont like the laws there, then i suggest you dont go to those countries. if you really care about the laws in those countries, then you can always tell them why you choose not to spend your money in their country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Gays in America hold disgusting, deviant parades in full sight of children all the time. I dont blame Africa for not wanting to become us.
very true.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:18 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Isn't this what the left accused the right of doing - trying to impose values on other nations?

The right tried to get countries to embrace freedom and democracy.
What are you talking about? The right's biggest complaints about Hillary Clinton is that she helped overthrow the dictator in Libya and that she didn't help the American "ally" Hosni Mubarak in Egypt against those that wanted to overthrow his dictatorial rein and have elections.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:25 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
Its an old complaint and not specific to any administration. Despite what we might want to think, certain segments in Africa do not conform to our views.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:28 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
That's not the point...

When the US invaded Iraq and we tried to give them democracy, many said that we should not impose our values on others. This instance seems pretty hypocritical to me - and whereas many in Iraq wanted to Democracy, Africa is complaining about adopting these standards.

Nobody was killing gays over there according to the article. Nobody even bothered them.
The U.S. didn't invade Iraq to give the people democracy. The U.S. was fine with having Iraq a dictatorship, just as we are fine with having Saudi Arabia a dictatorship, as long as they tow the line.

Donald Rumsfeld was just fine with selling chemical weapons to Saddam. U.S. Had Key Role in Iraq Buildup

Quote:
High on the Bush administration's list of justifications for war against Iraq are President Saddam Hussein's use of chemical weapons, nuclear and biological programs, and his contacts with international terrorists. What U.S. officials rarely acknowledge is that these offenses date back to a period when Hussein was seen in Washington as a valued ally.

Among the people instrumental in tilting U.S. policy toward Baghdad during the 1980-88 Iran-Iraq war was Donald H. Rumsfeld, now defense secretary, whose December 1983 meeting with Hussein as a special presidential envoy paved the way for normalization of U.S.-Iraqi relations. Declassified documents show that Rumsfeld traveled to Baghdad at a time when Iraq was using chemical weapons on an "almost daily" basis in defiance of international conventions.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:28 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Stoning gay men to death and raping lesbians to show them what they are missing is common stuff in majority Christian Uganda. Not too different than Saudi Arabia

Viewing woman as property is common stuff throughout Africa, regardless of religion. The disabled fare worse.

Nigeria is the topic of the link. Nigeria is a slight Christian majority country and its population derives from 340 ethnic tribes. Nigeria made homosexuality a crime in 2014.

Many of these countries are eager for US financial investment and aid and then complain about " having a conversation about human rights.

Fascinating how some who post on this forum call the left hypocrites for not condemning 25% of the world's population, some of which violate human rights. Then some of the same posters condemn the left for attempting to have a conversation about human rights.

Seems a some people prefer to live their lives in continuous faux outrage.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 12-21-2015 at 08:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies