Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2016, 07:57 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,701,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Criminal histories can range from jaywalking, to contempt of court. Felonies prevent gun ownership. So "criminal histories" is pretty vague. Given the massive number of Americans with criminal histories that are not felonies, banning them from gun ownership over misdemeanors is a massive over reach by the government.

And documented mental problems, adding them to a list of "your gun ownership is banned" would just mean LESS people would seek mental health.

your argument there is pretty bad once you look at it. The devil is in the details.

There was a day, they handed you your gun back, when you got out of jail. What changed in the meaning of the 2nd Amendment, since then?

He paid his debt to society, and he was once again a free man.

It was unconstitutional to keep the mans firearm. That's why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 08:00 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,737,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Keep them in jail/prisons their entire sentences for a start.
I agree. And I would suggest a way to make this more realistic: Drop the war against pot. The judicial system and the prison system should not be clogged with non-violent pot users. This would make lots more room in the courts and prisons for felons who try to buy guns, and dealers who try to sell guns to felons. Not to mention freeing up resources for law enforcement to enforce the gun laws.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:03 AM

50,432 posts, read 47,155,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
I agree. And I would suggest a way to make this more realistic: Drop the war against pot. The judicial system and the prison system should not be clogged with non-violent pot users. This would make lots more room in the courts and prisons for felons who try to buy guns, and dealers who try to sell guns to felons.

Well, it should be regulated but unless someone is involved in a DUI there should be no penalty.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
If it is illegal for felons to buy guns, then it should also be illegal for them to buy gun parts or gun kits. If it is not illegal, then it is a loophole that should be fixed. So my basic point still stands: Background checks give law enforcement and important tool for catching some repeat offenders before they get the gun in their hands, and each person caught in this way is one less armed criminal on the streets.

Should they own a Bridgeport Mill and a 5 Axis Mill? How about be able to buy Steel.

I can make any firearm I wish. 50 caliber - Full Auto, if that is what I want.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We are all worried about these new immigrants obtaining weapons. Why are we letting them in, in the first place, if we already know we can't block them from getting weapons.
I don't know a lot about this, so this might be a silly suggestion but: Immigrants should not be sworn in as full US citizens until they have been living in the country for at least a few years without a serious criminal record. Until they are sworn in as full US citizens, they should not have the right to own guns (tho perhaps there could be some provisions by which some could be allowed?).

Old 01-12-2016, 08:13 AM

17,403 posts, read 11,995,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
You sound desperate. As you probably should because as the Millenials rise and the Boomers and Greatest Generation die off - the worship of guns will go WAY down.
I hope you're OK with the government that you will have if and when that happens. I suspect you will not.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Should they own a Bridgeport Mill and a 5 Axis Mill? How about be able to buy Steel.
I can make any firearm I wish. 50 caliber - Full Auto, if that is what I want.
Again: If some felons are clever enough to build guns from raw materials, then these might be the ones who are just too clever for law enforcement to catch. This doesn't mean that we can't still catch the ones who are trying to simply buy guns.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:18 AM

17,403 posts, read 11,995,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I live in California where most of the guns I have fired have been in the Gold Country. Also in Utah...

I've never before encountered anyone who had such a hankering for a Benelli shotgun, but there are certain models perfectly suitable for what you want to do with it, right? Or just what is that you want to do with that shotgun you can't do with others. Or is it how it looks? Please explain, because no doubt the level of heartburn you express has got to be about something more serious.

For every model deemed not appropriate for general consumer/hunter/protection use, how many thousands of other models are available? Just as pretty, just as accurate, just as lethal? Surely you still own and can buy all sorts of models and enjoy just as much fun or protection or whatever without dwelling on the few models deemed outside the normal market, right? Just how serious is this problem that we can't just buy any model of Benelli shotgun?

I'd like to know before deciding whether to write my Congressman...

Sorry about the magazine woes as well, but again if you can let me know your end-goal or desire with this weaponry, maybe I can better assess the level of damages you are experiencing. Really, I'm serious.

Much as I would like to have fun with a grenade as well (sometimes when I think of my mother-in-law), I can't procure one, but I get over it in a matter of seconds...
It doesn't matter. You don't get to decide any of that.

Shall not be infringed.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:20 AM

50,432 posts, read 47,155,129 times
Quote:
Again: If some felons are clever enough to build guns from raw materials, then these might be the ones who are just too clever for law enforcement to catch. This doesn't mean that we can't still catch the ones who are trying to simply buy guns.
Like I said. Over the counter. It comes with it's own drill bits and templates too. If I was a felon I wouldn't even bother with the 10 day wait and getting rejected. I'd simply walk in (with cash) buy my entire setup and walk out. In one hour I'd have exactly what I want. If someone has a drill they are good to go. It's simply that easy.

I'd guess EVERY felon who really wants to commit a crime with a gun does this. EVERY one unless they can find one stolen which they would have already bought anyway.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:

Seriously? Do you know what a zip-gun is?

You can make a tool to fire a cartridge, from things lying around your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies