Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 11:58 AM

1,329 posts, read 832,419 times

Advertisements

All amendments can be repealed. All of them. Few of the founding fathers intended the Constitution to be treated as a sacred document.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 12:03 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
All amendments can be repealed. All of them. Few of the founding fathers intended the Constitution to be treated as a sacred document.

Not the one that says, Shall not be infringed. Because the very attempt to alter it, would be an infringement and unconstitutional.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:09 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Not the one that says, Shall not be infringed. Because the very attempt to alter it, would be an infringement and unconstitutional.
No. Infringement only applies to the constitution as it is presently written.

All off the constitution, meaning the entire kit and caboodle, can be altered and/or overturned.

To do so requires a very strict and demanding majority from all the states to do it, but it can be done. You need to start reading it for what it says, not what you believe.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:25 PM

408 posts, read 215,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
The Bill of Rights ensured the rights of individuals and the States while limiting the reach of the Federal government. I don't see why a State can set it's own rules and regulations on arms. That doesn't mean that they can violate a citizen's right to bear arms.
What I was discussing has nothing to do with anyone's rights.

I was only discussing militia powers.

There are no militia rights to be claimed under the Constitution / 2nd Amendment by any entity, state or citizen (which Presser confirms).

Old 01-15-2016, 12:34 PM

408 posts, read 215,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
Well, I have a couple arguments against your idea.

First and most important (because it exposes a significant flaw in the thinking of the "just amend the right out of the Constitution" crowd . . . Is that the right to arms is not granted, given, created or established by the 2nd Amendment thus the right is not in any manner dependent upon the Constitution for its existence.

Your idea is as goofy as wanting to amend / edit / "revoke" Newton's Universal Law of Gravitation so you know, we can really start to reduce the injuries and deaths from falls . . .

Old 01-15-2016, 08:15 PM

29,534 posts, read 19,626,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeerleader View Post
What I was discussing has nothing to do with anyone's rights.

I was only discussing militia powers.

There are no militia rights to be claimed under the Constitution / 2nd Amendment by any entity, state or citizen (which Presser confirms).
Ok, my misunderstanding.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:30 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
The idiots in Oregon are going to die for their stubborn belief in obsolete documents and statutes that do not translate well to the 21st Century. Too bad. It won't be for anything. They will be forgotten before the year is out. Stubborness is not a virtue. I'm done nere. I give up. Neither myself or any other gun-grabber are the ones you need to be concerned about. Watch the reactions to the next mass shooting and the one after that. That's where your concern needs to be.
When it's open carry and the shooters not only find resistance, but end up being carried out in a pine box, yep, there will be a reaction all right.

btw, I wouldn't be using Oregon as an example. Not unless you showing another example of government's thumb on citizens heads, that predates back to about 100 years ago. The time to have fought the property rights issues was then, because now is has gone on too long, to change it, it would take some serious legal maneuvering.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:33 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
No. Infringement only applies to the constitution as it is presently written.

All off the constitution, meaning the entire kit and caboodle, can be altered and/or overturned.

To do so requires a very strict and demanding majority from all the states to do it, but it can be done. You need to start reading it for what it says, not what you believe.
The only amendment worded with...
that clearly says it shall not be infringed upon. Trying to alter it, or eliminating it all together, would be an infringement and unconstitutional.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Let's think about this for a minute..gun free zones are usually schools, hospitals and public buildings right? So you want to arm postal clerks 7 year old kids and nurses?
No. I want officers sworn to up hold the peace, to be put in place and doing their jobs.

If the government is going to steal the money out of our wallets in the form of taxes, we need to see some show for the dollar and put some people to work.

Old 01-15-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
So many think the second amendment, is just about the people having guns.

No, read it all, not just the last part. It is there, telling the government, we will kick your ass and kill you all by any means possible, if you get too big for your britches.
They have, we didn't; so now we're stuck with what we got. Is this not a fun country to live in, or what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies