Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2016, 08:06 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,821,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
At least your half honest,good nite
I also edit other people's posts for fun and profit. You meant to say:

"At least YOU'RE half honest, good NIGHT".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 08:08 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,312,271 times
Quote:
I'm talking the real world where I live. Ever have a sewer backup? need to place a 50' beam with 8 guys on ladders .We don't do it with buttons and smartphones,brute strength and brains with safety always first.I wish I could press a button to hang 100lb fire doors but I live in the real world not an Amazon distribution center
I have known females that have as much "Brute Strength" as any male, and THOSE would be the types of females in the jobs of which you speak.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:19 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,038,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Yes, I edit my posts for a living. I get paid a million bucks per change. LOL.

Or just maybe I changed my mind about what I wanted to say and you'd already quoted my post. Nope. That couldn't be it. Let's go with I get paid to change posts.

Do you get paid by the Plumbers Union to talk up their services on CD? I smell a paid shill. No one could possibly be that invested in plumbing.
Naw I never even wanted to be a plumber.and I hate unions especially construction unions.I am an artist and dedicated my talent for the last 45 years to finish trim Carpentry and love it to death.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:25 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,568,031 times
Quote:
Back in the day, men worked and women stayed home. Even the least capable of men could find employment. Now, they have to compete not just with the most capable men, but capable women as well. Why would anyone be surprised that some are not successful? Their success in prior generations wasn't due to their intelligence, it was due to their gender.

They see a past where men were guaranteed success just for being men and long for those days. Now they actually have to work for success and don't like it. Women have a choice as to whether or not they compete because it's still acceptable to be a SAHM. This is what men are lacking. A respectable opt out. No one thinks twice when a woman has kids and leaves the work world. Men don't seem to have the option of leaving the work world and still being respected. It's not competition for jobs that's the problem. It's that there is no acceptable opt out for men who can't/don't want to compete.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Naw I never even wanted to be a plumber.and I hate unions especially construction unions.I am an artist and dedicated my talent for the last 45 years to finish trim Carpentry and love it to death.
That's great! I'm always glad when people find something they love to do that also earns them a good living.

You probably don't see many women in your line of work. There are definitely jobs that are either more male centric or more female. I work in an almost all male industry. It hasn't changed much since I started 35 years ago. Not because few women are smart enough to do the job, but because few have an interest. Probably like that for you as well. As there are fewer and fewer jobs around, I suspect this will change.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:32 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,568,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
We are nowhere close to that stage of deterioration -- still the world's strongest economy, and our currency remains the standard for the world's central banks. (You populists can rant as much as you like -- every industrialized economy has one, and a lot of the rest rely on ours.

We don't handle immigration as well as some nations -- you can probably look to Canada for that.

And while our agriculture can supply virtually everything we need -- somewhere -- free trade, despite the objections of the short-term thinkers, is a better system.

What we are in danger of throwing away is the culture of entrepreneurship, innovation and opportunity which has always attracted the driven and upwardly-mobile, and those with a healthy skepticism toward the concentration of power in any form.

That is the central feature -- the linchpin -- of the principle of American Exceptionalism; an idea all the self-appointed elites and nay-sayers love to ridicule, but one a lot of people in Mr. Trump's camp got right. If that idea alone helps to restore a little sanity within the Beltway, the battle isn't lost.
No one said we aren't. We are however on the way down not up. Other countries are on the way up so they are the greener pasture. It's just the way things are. There comes a point when you've reached your peak and there's nowhere to go but down. We're headed down. I have no doubt that people will start looking to other countries to find what they want.

I'm not sure how things will settle out with a world wide economy but I do think we'll be seeing more people leaving their home country for work. The world is shrinking and we're becoming more co-dependent.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:34 PM

34,081 posts, read 17,134,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
They see a past where men were guaranteed success just for being men and long for those days. Now they actually have to work for success and don't like it. .

The above changes were long past due, and terrific.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
They see a past where men were guaranteed success just for being men and long for those days. Now they actually have to work for success and don't like it. Women have a choice as to whether or not they compete because it's still acceptable to be a SAHM. This is what men are lacking. A respectable opt out. No one thinks twice when a woman has kids and leaves the work world. Men don't seem to have the option of leaving the work world and still being respected. It's not competition for jobs that's the problem. It's that there is no acceptable opt out for men who can't/don't want to compete.
I have always worked to be as successful as I am because I love my trade and wanted to be the best I lack nothing. This male female crap is just that crap.I have a big project coming up with lots of crown molding and super custom cabs and no amount of male or female brawn will help me in any way.There are very few male and absoluly no female workers who could do this work.It is what it is.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Women are expected to compete, at least initially. When's the last time you saw a young woman finish college and immediately become a stay at home wife or parent? I wouldn't blink if my daughter married a well educated, hard working guy who then became a stay at home parent. I would not be pleased if she chose a guy who never held a job and lived in his mom's basement. The first guy could jump back into the job market if needed. The second not so much.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
That's great! I'm always glad when people find something they love to do that also earns them a good living.

You probably don't see many women in your line of work. There are definitely jobs that are either more male centric or more female. I work in an almost all male industry. It hasn't changed much since I started 35 years ago. Not because few women are smart enough to do the job, but because few have an interest. Probably like that for you as well. As there are fewer and fewer jobs around, I suspect this will change.
Thankyou I think we are in agreement here and I have new respect for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies