Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 07:00 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,465,943 times

Advertisements

We know y'all are very fervent in your desire to prevent all abortions.

But, are you willing to put your money where your mouth is?

Would you be willing to pay, for 18 (or more) years the full cost of a child if a mother decided to not abort?

Would you be willing to adopt children, no matter how many there are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 08:10 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post

Would you be willing to pay, for 18 (or more) years the full cost of a child if a mother decided to not abort?

I believe many of the responses would be similar to this.

I don't want to turn my home into a jail for convicted criminals, but I still want those who break the law to be prosecuted. In other words, the results of the prosecution of those activities that one deems unlawful is not necessarily the responsibility of those who advocate the laws.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:15 AM

47 posts, read 42,676 times
Quote:

People assume that pro-lifers are pervent and fanatical about their decisions.

Abortion rights are a state issue, not a federal one. RvW is a court decision, and all countries except for us have ruled through the legislative body a woman's right to choose. It's a travesty that a court system is the responsible body for creating a law. Whether or not it's allowed by states, allowed federally, or disallowed federally is up to Congressional lawmakers, not the Supreme Court.

Ideally, I'd like to see states rights and nearly all allowing it, or non-profit charitable funds for those who need to be transported to a state allowing it. You take the carrot off the stick for the pseudo-christian snake charming evangelicals.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:52 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,487,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Toole View Post
Abortion rights are a state issue, not a federal one.
Neither the state nor the federal legislature may enact laws that abridge a person's constitutional rights. You may as well claim that the right of free speech or of a free press should be left up to the states to decide...

Old 02-07-2008, 08:55 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,718,269 times
Quote:

If you subsidize something, you get more of it. If there was an offer to pay a bounty of sorts, everyone would claim they didn't want their child and be even more careless about getting pregnant seeing how the financial responsibility would be lifted.

Adoption is the alternative. There are plenty of families who want to adopt babies.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Neither the state nor the federal legislature may enact laws that abridge a person's constitutional rights. You may as well claim that the right of free speech or of a free press should be left up to the states to decide...
Well now that most of the Bill of Rights has been incorporated under the 14th Amendment, but it hasn't always been that way. I haven't read a state constitution that hasn't guaranteed the right of freedom of speech though.

But the right to kill an unborn child isn't an enumerated right, so it would fall to the states.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:57 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,487,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
Adoption is the alternative. There are plenty of families who want to adopt babies.
There are plenty of children waiting for adoption. What's the holdup...

Old 02-07-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
There are plenty of children waiting for adoption. What's the holdup...
Really? Have you tried? My sister has been waiting for 18 months for any baby... race isn't an issue. I've got a friend whose wife can't get pregnant due to her migrane medication she has to take, they've been waiting 11 months now. Neither one has had any luck yet.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:03 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,275,819 times
Default Long wait to adopt....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I believe many of the responses would be similar to this.

I don't want to turn my home into a jail for convicted criminals, but I still want those who break the law to be prosecuted. In other words, the results of the prosecution of those activities that one deems unlawful is not necessarily the responsibility of those who advocate the laws.
I think Amaznjohn totally nailed it here. However, I would add the following- I do realize that there are many, many older children who are in foster care who are difficult to place, and I also know that not all births result in a healthy infant. However, the majority do, and the reality is that there are many more couples desiring to adopt babies than there are babies to adopt.

My husband and I adopted a newborn in 1984. I don't know what the statistics are now, but at that time for every healthy newborn available for adoption, there were 700,000 couples desiring to adopt one. My husband and I considered ourselves incredibly blessed to be able to adopt a baby.
Again, I don't know the statistics now, but I suspect the waiting lists to adopt are still long hence so many people checking into foreign adoption.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:03 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,448,201 times
I'm curious for people who don't believe in abortion no matter what.

What if your wife or you were pregnant. Science has PROVEN that being Gay is genetic and they have come up with a test to be done prior to birth.

If you found out your son or daughter was going to be born Gay, what would you do?

Keeping in mind that science has proven its genetic, like having blue eyes or being tall or short. No amount of counseling would change it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies